So yeah, I feel like a noob asking this but...

kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
edited October 2007 in Hardware
I posted a thread a few days ago about how I upgraded my computer with a PCI-e mobo and went from an AGP 6600GT to a PCI-e 8600GT and how I was unimpressed with the results, being that I only play WoW these days and it's a 3 year old game now. In the past few days I have to admit that I have seen a nice difference at times, but I hate that the game still dips down into the 10-20 FPSs when I'm in a large city with many players around.

One of the things many people mentioned to me was that they thought my CPU, an A64 3000+ was the bottleneck. I was resistant to this idea at first, but now I see S939 dual core A64s that sell for pretty cheap, between $50-$70.

My question is, would I see a big improvement going from my A64 3000+ single core to say, an A64 X2 3800+? The reason I ask is I've been out of the hardware loop for a while now and from past experience (this is going back to when P3s and T-birds ruled the nest lol) simply changing a CPU didn't make all that much difference to me. I would notice way much more improvement in my system's performance back then by dropping in a lot more ram. I already have 1.5gb of DDR-400 running in dual channel mode so I think I'm fine there.

Sorry I write these long, rambling, drawn out posts lol. Excitedly awaiting your answers!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    WoW is SMP-aware, and as a result, you will see a very large performance gain. Additionally, the 8xxx line from nVidia responds VERY WELL to CPU performance increases, because the drivers themselves are SMP-aware.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Very nice, good to know. And from a voice I trust too :D You sir, have just helped increase AMD's bottom line hehe

Now I just need to hunt for a bargain lol
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66165

Is that the deal you're looking for?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    That's a really good deal :-/
    edited October 2007
    that's a really good deal, but i'm looking to spend around $50. i'm cheap like that :P
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Cheapest X2 at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103052

2GHz, nice CPU...OC's to around 2.5 easy... 2.7-2.8 sometimes.
    edited October 2007
    yeah that's the one i'm looking at. they have the same one for $10 cheaper. is it the same core, just OEM?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Who has the same one? Wherever you can find it.

That is the CPU you want if you want cheap X2. OEM just means no heatsink is included and I think the warranty is only 30 days or 1 year with OEM.. 3 years with Retail box.