smc + vista

edited October 2007 in Science & Tech
hello,

i have just installed windows vista on my brandnew pc
a dual core 2.2GHz with 4 GB ram

vista ultimated is installed on a brand new HD with nothing else on it
i start with this hd separately, no dual boot etc.

vista can not find my router, SMC 7804bwra eu

have looking for other drivers on the smc site but there is nothing for my router.

i see only a red cross between my users pc(icon) and the internet icon

have follow the instructions to made a network and a internet connection like vista show

this router work fine with windows XP pro (i am bussy with it)

can some one help me please

thanks

germaine

sorry for my bad English

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2007
    Hello, germaine. Welcome to Icrontic :) .

I don't think the issue is with your router, but with the NIC drivers on your PC. When you install a new operating system, you often have to introduce it to the hardware on your PC before it can work with it.

You will have to find out the network card or network chipset make & model number and find the Vista drivers- whether they are on a CD that came with the card or motherboard, or at the manufacturer's website. If you are using a network (LAN) port on your motherboard, often your best bet is to find them at your motherboard's manufacturer (like ASUS).

Hope that helps-
  • edited October 2007
    thanks for info
    will look on my motherboard's CD ( intel DG965SS)

see ya

germaine
  • edited October 2007
    hello oeldroma,

have reinstall the drivers from my intel cd
    the result is the same no connection with netwerkcard( build in the motherboard)

have follow the instuctions in the help(vista) for installing drivers into the OS

vista says this card work correct ????

this is the information about the network

intel 82566DC Gigabit Platform Lan Connect

hope you can help me again

thanks

germaine
    edited October 2007
    Okay- however, understand that I'm not all that familiar with SMP routers or Vista- but let's give it a try.

1. Make sure you have a wire connection to your router. The manual should have a default IP address you can reach it with your browser- like 192.168.1.1 or whatever your SMP requires.

If you reach it, you know you're okay on the PC LAN port installation. If you can't do this, post back.

2. First, however you do it for this model, set up your router for Automatic Configuration or DHCP. This allows the router to assign you an IP address automatically.

3. Set up your PC to work with DHCP. Start | Network and click on Network and Sharing Center in the menu bar. Then click on View Status next to your connection. Click the Properties (just hit Continue if you have the annoying UAC turned on) button and then select your TCP/IP protocol (it hurts nothing to set both Versions 6 and 4).

Click on Properties and be sure that the Obtain an IPv6 (or IPv4) address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically options are selected.

Click OK, etc. and get back to the desktop. You may have to reboot when you are done.

Hope this helps.

EDIT ADDED: You might try and see what happens if you shut off any Firewall you might have on if you're still stuck.
  • edited October 2007
    hi,

today something strange happens.

when i start my PC he connect direct to the internet (i have nothing changed!!)

i update my virus scanner, scan my pc, update windows vista, instal messinger al without any problem.
    When the updates are installes the pc must be restarted.
    everything going wel... but ....... yes no internet connection !!!???

i try several times to restart but with no results.

Strange, vista do not reconise my smc router for days, then vista connect to my router and internet en now nothing again??

if vista reconise once my router it seems that my cables, drivers for the networkcard and everything else are good.

so way find vista not always my router??
    i give it up and stay with windows XP

thanks for the help

if sometimes it wil work properly here then i send you a message
    edited October 2007
    I'm sorry to hear it, germaine- but I'm almost certain that this might be something we've overlooked. For example, if you have both wired and wireless capabilities- or a possibly a multi-LAN port motherboard, Vista may simply be seeing one of the other connections and reporting that it is not able to connect.

It sounds definitely like you have a working port, but Vista has been poorly designed for a general public used to XP, and can be a nuisance and confusing.

My suggestion is that if you try again, try to write down or take a screenshot of the exact messages you are getting- I think there may be something there that will help give us the clues we need.
  • edited October 2007
    Hello again,

thanks for willing to help me

1. Make sure you have a wire connection to your router. The manual should have a default IP address you can reach it with your browser- like 192.168.2.x

when i type in this in my browser nothing happen
    so no communication between my router and vista

if i do so with XP everything work fine

could you tell me how to insert a jpeg image here in this forum from my pc
    i have made a screendump of my ipconfig but can not safe it as text only as a jpeg ( the command ipconfig/all > c:\ip.text) will not work in vista commandprompt.

thanks
    germaine
    edited October 2007
    germaine wrote:
    could you tell me how to insert a jpeg image here in this forum from my pc
    i have made a screendump of my ipconfig but can not safe it as text only as a jpeg ( the command ipconfig/all > c:\ip.text) will not work in vista commandprompt.

thanks
    germaine

You might see if you can ping your router from the command prompt.

To insert pics, there should be a Manage Attachments button in the Additional Options field below the editting window. As long as it (or they- up to 3) is within the size limit, you should be OK. It's pretty straightforward, but post back if you're stuck.

Note to moderator: This may be a Networking & Security sub-forum thread and not Drivers & Utilities. Also- I've noticed that threads in this subforum are not showing up on the Hot Threads list.
  • edited October 2007
    Qeldroma wrote:
    You might see if you can ping your router from the command prompt.

no not possible

time-out 4 packets send, 0 receive , lost4 100% lost

when i switch to my other HD with XP i can ping the router

ipconfig (2).JPG

thanks
    germaine
    edited October 2007
    Can you ping from another machine on your LAN and can it ping you? Can you ping yourself- 127.0.0.1?

You have an IP address assigned, you are using DHCP which is apparently working. Hmmm- it doesn't display your DHCP Server IP or a standard gateway- ? (maybe I just don't know enough about Vista yet). Do you have more than one router? Are you using VPN?

Have you also tried temporarily turning off any firewall yet (you may have to do this on each PC to ping)?

I think you might also solict more of the help you need by starting another thread in the Networking & Security sub-forum. You can make a link to this thread there for reference. If you can also display or translate to English, that would be helpful.

I hope something works out-
  • edited October 2007
    Qeldroma wrote:
    Can you ping from another machine on your LAN and can it ping you? Can you ping yourself- 127.0.0.1?

Yes i can

You have an IP address assigned, you are using DHCP which is apparently working. Hmmm- it doesn't display your DHCP Server IP or a standard gateway- ?

Think thats the only problem i have, vista mostly can't communicate with the router. ( two times vista did it)

(maybe I just don't know enough about Vista yet). Do you have more than one router? Are you using VPN?

No have only 1 router VPN ??????

Have you also tried temporarily turning off any firewall yet (you may have to do this on each PC to ping)?

Yes and i can ping with or without firewall

I think you might also solict more of the help you need by starting another thread in the Networking & Security sub-forum. You can make a link to this thread there for reference. If you can also display or translate to English, that would be helpful.
    OS is in Dutch and my English is very poor to translate.

thanks will do so

I hope something works out-

ScreenShot001a.jpg
    edited October 2007

VPN is Vitrual Private Network used for secure remote access to resources normally with a company. A router generally must be specifically configured for this and VPNs can "tunnel" the connection.

You look like you have a very normal connection with that last pic.

Hope someone will think of something :thumbsup:
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited October 2007
    I think you may still have a driver issue- have you installed the latest ones?

linky

Be sure to use the OS correct version.
  • edited October 2007
    Hi Oriane,

yes i have download the last one's from intel
    but it is strange, i already have had two times a connection with my network and internet. So it seems to work sometimes
    pc do not reconise my router most of the time.

thanks

germaine
    edited October 2007
    Although I'm not sure it will help, there is a fairly recent firmware update for the router as well.

Are you running what we call a "dual boot" machine- one that has both XP and Vista on it? If not, I was going to suggest trying different cables and router ports.
  • edited October 2007
    hi,

no i running not a dualboot machine

vista is on his own HD and XP also
    i switch the HD's to work with Vista

next week i install a separate networkcard a d-link vista ready
    maybe with this card i can made a connection with my network and with the router. if not '"é"'&@#éè'"é& :)

thanks for the help
    when it works i will inform you

have a fine weekend

Germaine
  • edited October 2007
    hi Queldrome,

today i have install a very old networkcard (a VIA RHINE III VT6505L) in my PC. There are no vista drivers for this card on the via site??( i don't need one either)and yes it works fine now. Vista reconise this card and i have now acces to my network and internet. why vista don't reconise my intel motherboard and his networkcard ?? i dont know.

thanks again for yoyr support and help

see ya

germaine