Help! -- Son's computer won't work!

edited October 2007 in Hardware
My son is devastated. We just bought him a Dell B120 (can't afford much more) and the last time he turned it on it went to a blue screen. Now when he turns it on it boots up with a lot of lines on the screen. We tried hooking it up to an external monitor and it just displays the same images on the external monitor. Could this be a graphics card issue? Do we have any hope? The link below hosts the video of the screen "doing its thing".

youtubedotcom/watch?v=ffKjy27P2Mc

Thanks for any and all help!

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    First off welcome to Icrontic :)

and yes that is a Graphics card issue.... give Dell a call! is it still under warranty? if so they should fix it for you.
  • edited October 2007
    First off welcome to Icrontic :)

and yes that is a Graphics card issue.... give Dell a call! is it still under warranty? if so they should fix it for you.

thank you for your quick reply!

However, I forgot to mention that the computer has Integrated Graphics, so it does not have a seperate graphics card. Again, this is a Dell B120, so Do you think I can just replace/put in a new card, or will I have to replace the MainBoard (is the mainboard also the motherboard?)

Thanks!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    It should be under warranty. Dell can indeed fix it.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    This is a Dell B120, so Do you think I can just replace/put in a new card, or will I have to replace the MainBoard (is the mainboard also the motherboard?)
    You are well ahead of most computer users in tech understanding. Pat yourself on the back, Cheryl. Yes, mainboard = motherboard. Yes, integrated graphics means a chip fuzed (intentionally!) to the motherboard. Call Dell. Warranty will take care of this. It's defective hardware. That simple.
  • edited October 2007
    It should be under warranty. Dell can indeed fix it.

ahh! we didn't get a warranty! what are my options? I know most repair shops don't deal with dells, and dell has such a hefty fee for out-of-warranty repairs.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    If you bought the computer new, it has at least a one-year manufacturer's warranty. Did you buy this computer used? The warranties that can be purchased are extended warranties, and are additional to the manufacturer's standard warranty. Give Dell a call. Your computer will be in their database with the exact warranty specifications and status.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    How new is the system? Like less than a month old or so? If it's a recent purchase, you shouldn't have any problem getting them to fix it even if you didn't buy the warranty.

Edit- Leo beat me to it.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    if Dell says no go... let us know and we can help you snag a new Mobo and give you the steps to save your self cash :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Dell comes with a one year standard warranty, including parts and labour. If the computer is no longer covered by this warranty, we'll tell you what parts to buy to meet your needs, and how to install it.

Worry not, we're here to help. Welcome to Icrontic.
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Hi Cherylk1027 and welcome to the world of Icrontic. You are most fortunate to have stumbled onto this site. As you can see there are heaps of people here who are more than willing to fall all over ourselves to get you back up and running in no time flat. You are in good hands take it from me. I too found this site in my hour of need.