where'd my hard drives go?

fuxorfuxor i live in a giant bucket
edited October 2007 in Hardware
Hey fellas, just reinstalled XP and now I can't access two of my drives.

I have 3 internal drives; two 80gb IDE and one 160gb SATA. One 80gb is my system drive, I keep downloads on the other 80gb, and the SATA drive is reserved for my documents.

When I installed windows I put in the motherboard's SATA raid drivers so it would detect my SATA drive, and installed on my system drive. Everything went smoothly, and I installed all the windows updates and hardware drivers, but my extra hard drives aren't showing up in explorer. Checked the MSI site (my motherboard's a K7N2 Delta) and made sure I had the latest drivers.

I can see them in the hardware manager, and in the disk manager. My documents drive says it's healthy (active) and formatted NTFS with the correct amount of space used. My downloads drive says it has no file system or label, and 100% free. It would suck if I can't rescue it, but my real concern is the documents drive. The only option the right-click menu gives me is "delete partition" and I certainly don't want to do that.

I tried loading up a copy of partition commander on a boot disk, and it also saw the drives, but said they were both formatted as "Type 44."

Please give me some good news!

(If this belongs in storage please move it with my apologies, but I consider the possibility of losing all of my documents an emergency)

EDIT//Already an update: I just found and installed a copy of Partitionmagic in windows, and the two drives are yellow (as in the DOS version) and are labelled "GoBack," which I did have on my old copy of windows. They still don't let me do anything, but at least I have a lead. I'm going to install Goback and see if it makes a difference

Comments

• fuxorfuxor i live in a giant bucket
    edited October 2007
    Always pleasant when a situation resolves itself. Reinstalling Goback has given my data back to me. That was just a little unpleasant there.

For others who might have this problem, I found this similar thread at cnet while I was installing the program. Thanks anyways guys!
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Good to see you got all the hot responses. :bigggrin:

Glad you got it fixed. Mate, don't lose that copy of GoBack!!! Folks here woulda probably been running in circles trying to figure that one out!