Error Installing Fable

edited October 2007 in Gaming
Hi, new here but i'm having wierd problems when I install Fable, I get to about half way through installation on the the 3rd disk and encounter a strange error message, as follows,

"Error 1305.Error reading from file D:\Fable - The Lost Chapters\Data\Video\2_guild_split_1_comp.wmv. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it."

just wondering if anyone else got this problem mid-install and can maybe point me in the right direction (I was psyked about playing this game, lol). Please help, Thanks :smiles:

Comments

• IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Hi Kryptt and welcome to Icrontic.

Sounds to me like a dodgy disc. Have you looked at the disc in Explorer to see if you can see the file mentioned?

Icrontic will help as best we can.
  • edited October 2007
    ah ty for getting back to me, and yeah i checked the file on the disc and i can play it, i guess it just has trouble installing it. Its annoying though the disc doesnt appear to have a scratch on it, plus i even went and googled the issue and the microsoft site suggested i update my installer (which i did) apparently that didnt work *sigh*. I guess it looks like the disc is the problem, I dont suppose u know any nice disc cleaning methods :confused:
    :D?
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Tissue and Windex. Gently.

Also, how old is you system? Specs? If it's old, sometimes cd readers go belly up.
  • edited October 2007
    The PC i'm trying to run it on atm is well old, its a Ye Olde Acer Travelmate 4000w 1.7 Ghz, 512MB RAM, some crap intel card (its 64MB, I know that much). Its meets the minimum reqs for Fable np. Theres a chance it could be the CD reader though it copped out when i tried installing HL2 the other day otherwise its usually fine. As we speak i'm trying to install it manually, I'm not holding out much hope for that though. Hopefully my new lappy will get here soon though and then maybe it'll work and I wont have wasted 10 quid on buying a legit copy ;). *fingers crossed* :D
  • broady81broady81 Member
    edited October 2007
    I get the feeling laptop disk drives are more likely to break because of the portable nature of them. My laptop's DVD drive just stopped working, it read disks for a few seconds, then powered down. I'd replace, it but the laptop is probably worth as much as a new slimline DVD drive :wink: Good luck anyway, and I hope your new laptop is nice :smiles:
  • edited October 2007
    good point, I have faith that the drive still works though, it reads discs I put in 99% of the time and I'm damn sure not wasting anymore money on this craptop (already spent 25 quid on a new power cord). Anyways....I have given said disc a day at the spa with some window cleaner and some andrex toilet paper (nice n' soft ;)) and am now praying it'll pull through, thanks for the advice dudes, :D