How high could I overclock my memory? (and still be stable)

edited November 2007 in Hardware
How much would you recommend me trying to overclock my 4gigs DDR2 533/667 SO-DIMM? Its at 400mhz right now shouldnt it be 533 or 667mhz?

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2007
    Brand? Product ID? We will need some more info.
  • edited November 2007
    Ill have to shut off my computer and Wait I have the Invoice

Brand: Mushkin

Item Number: MMN-MUSH-018

If thats not the product ID where would i find that? on the chip itself?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    You have a laptop. You can't, really.
    edited November 2007
    Ah missed the SO-DIMM part, as thrax said, you can't OC a laptop
  • edited November 2007
    I have a program on my computer called Ntune. oh ok. One of my questions wasnt answered. How come my memory says its running at 400mhz instead of 533 or 667mhz like it says that it is supposed to?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    How come my memory says its running at 400mhz instead of 533 or 667mhz like it says that it is supposed to?
    What exactly "says" your memory is supposed to be 533 or 667? Please be more specific. Have you pulled the RAM from your computer and read the notations? Perhaps your computer will accept DDR2 533 or 667 but is actually loaded with slower RAM. What is the brand and model of your laptop?
  • edited November 2007
    I suppose that is my assumption by the DDR2 533/667 in the name. I thought that was the speed of the memory. I do have allot to learn.
  • edited November 2007
    Brand: Ibuypower Model: Battalion 101 LX775
    edited November 2007
    Can you pull the SODIMM stick out and tell us what is printed on it? If your laptop's motherboard is designed for DDR2 533 or 667, it should have one of those frequencies running now. It could be your laptop is loaded with DDR2 400/PC2 3200.
  • edited November 2007
    This is what it says on the sticker on the memory.
    2GB PC2 5300 SODIMM
    099155902604S11873

This is what it says imprinted on the chip.
    P0703
    F 0737
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited November 2007
    Well, laptops have power conservation functions that can downclock the processor, and it might be doing the same to your memory.
    edited November 2007
    YAD, I had forgotten about the laptop power saving options. I always turn all that stuff off, so I didn't think about that. The power saving features can lower the CPU clock, so does the FSB and RAM frequency fall at the same ratio?
  • broady81broady81 Member
    edited November 2007
    My laptop just drops the CPU multiplier, thus not affecting the memory timings to my knowledge - I believe that is why mobile processors have unlocked multipliers and are therefore better overclockers when placed in a suitable full sized motherboard :smiles:
    edited November 2007
    My friend's got a 2ghz intel P4 laptop and the FSB drops on it. I noticed that when I had to format it.
    edited November 2007
    Some CPUs do either I think depending on the chipset. Dropping the FSB does more for power savings but also decreases performance more.
  • edited November 2007
    The CPU is at 2394.591mhz

FSB is supposed to be 800 but is running at 400mhz

Memory: running at 400/ supposed to be 533/667

How do I turn off all the power savings stuff? I dont know which things you mean by the power savings. the stuff in power options?
    edited November 2007
    1. 400 is 800: Double Data Rate
    2. Your memory may be specced to each 544/667 (actually 133/166 MHz) it your chipset cannot go that fast so its downclocked.
    3. Laptops do not have the cooling to overclock. Stop trying.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Sniper,

Post a screenshot of the CPU and Memory tab of CPU-z.

Get CPU-z from: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
  • edited November 2007
    Here they are
    31521282566.jpg

3152128259.jpg
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    all is well
    edited November 2007
    Your memory speed is DDR - double data rate. The rate shown in CPU Z is 327.1, which doubled is 654. That is '667' -close enough.

Your CPU core speed is shown as 1188. Yup, you definitely have some kind of power saving software or BIOS setting kicking in. If you were doing something requiring more CPU power, that 1188 figure would jump up to whatever power was needed, to a maximum of 2.4GHz.

If you don't need the computer running at full power all the time, let it be. It's doing exactly what it supposed to do. If you want it running at full power all the time, here's how to get to the Windows settings:

right click on the desktop
    select Properties
    select Screen Saver
    look for the button "Power"
    make settings the way you want them

There are also BIOS entries. Do you know how to enter the BIOS on your laptop? It's probably 'F2' during bootup.
    edited November 2007
    Who the hell needs four gigabytes of memory in a laptop?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    <<<---
  • BuddyJBuddyJ
    raises hand.
    Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    raises hand.
    edited November 2007
    Good god...I just put three in my machine and I've only gone past two when I found out I was working on something with a memory leak..You people are strange.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Vista + [EMAIL="F@H"]F@H[/EMAIL] SMP + my usual computing habits = MUST HAVE 4GB
  • edited November 2007
    My OS and other programs, Antivirus,Firewall takes up 2 of those 4 gigs and when my games are running they take up the other 2 :):):)
    edited November 2007
    My OS and the crapton of stuff I have running barely hits 1. That's reason 1 I'm not switching to Vista.
  • edited November 2007
    Leonardo, Yes I know how to enter my Bios its the delete key and to my knowledge of whats in there none of it is for making everything run at peak. But thats fine you guys have answered my questions? Im not running Vista either because I dont like how much of my resources it would take up then what Im using already.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    My OS and the crapton of stuff I have running barely hits 1. That's reason 1 I'm not switching to Vista.

Well, if you want DX10 gaming you have to so 4gb it is. Does that make me strange?