Ubuntu installation issues?

edited December 2007 in Science & Tech
I cant get Ubuntu to install on my old computer. theres no install button and the live CD thing doesnt even work.

Comments

• ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    How much ram? You will need at least 256 Mb Ram(as you are probably aware!??) to even run the Live Ubuntu. You might try Xubuntu for an older system, as it is geared towards older hardware. How old is old?
  • edited November 2007
    1.28gigs of ram, its only about 3-4 yrs old, its old compared to my new computer which is only 3 weeks old. Im installing it on my 3-4 yrs old computer.
  • edited November 2007
    I figured it out I wasnt having it restart with the CD drive being read from first
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    If the LiveCD doesn't actually boot into a working copy of the OS, your install won't be easy. If it does boot into a working copy of the OS, it is literally the click of a button and answering a few questions.

Let us know if you still experience issues now that you've modified your boot settings.
  • edited November 2007
    It works just fine now and I have it installed. One thing my mouse pointer doesnt show up on the screen. Is there a driver I have to install?
    edited November 2007
    It should recognize your mouse natively. I had to edit a file to get my forward and back buttons to work, but the basic mouse driver is part of the OS.

What kind of mouse is on the PC? I used a USB mouse, so if it's PS2 I could be totally wrong.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    If it's PS2, it should be recognized natively, but if it's USB, it would need to be Plug and Play to be recognised without installing a driver. Did it come with a disk?
    edited November 2007
    Ubuntu is a plug-and-play capable OS. A USB mouse will work properly without a driver disk, albeit in basic two-button mode. This is a native function of the windowing environment.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Only if the mouse is also plug-and-play capable. Granted, I've never actually seen a USB mouse that isn't, but I'm sure some generic company in china somewhere makes one.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    but I'm sure some generic company in china somewhere makes one.

*recalled due to a chemical that changes to a dangerous narcotic when in contact with moisture(sweat)*

:tongue:
  • edited November 2007
    no the touchpad works just fine, its just that the pointer on my screen doesnt show up.
    edited November 2007
    That sounds like a graphics issue with gnome...

Did you have the same problem with the LiveCD?
  • edited November 2007
    yes but it shouldnt be a graphics problem it shows up just fine in Windows XP.
    edited November 2007
    XP uses a completely different graphics engine than Ubuntu. Ubuntu uses gnome as a windowing environment. The pointers might look similar, but they're not actually the same.
  • edited November 2007
    Oh Ok. My computer exceeds the minimum requirements for ubuntu.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited November 2007
    AND?!
    Just because your gear exceeds the requirements doesn't mean it'll work. The G5 surpasses Windows XP's requirements but it won't work.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    By "the touchpad works just fine" do you mean that it works in general or that it works in Ubuntu and just the cursor doesn't show up? If the cursor doesn't show up in Ubuntu and you can't click anything with your touchpad then the X server hasn't autoconfigured your touchpad properly. In that case, you will need to configure the touchpad manually.

-drasnor :fold:
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    AND?!
    [me]* Keebler slides YAD a beer[/me]
    I can see the vein protruding from your forehead from here. Simmer down :p
  • edited November 2007
    My touchpad works fine in Ubuntu and I can click things, I just cant see my cursur.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    In that case try changing your pointer theme in your mouse preferences. The only other thing that comes to mind is that you might have a hardware compositing problem like a 2d graphics card driver bug but that problem would also manifest itself as other weird effects.

-drasnor :fold:
  • edited November 2007
    Ill try and do that.
  • edited November 2007
    where would I find the mouse prefs?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    System... preferences.... mouse

Or that's where it is on my install, at least.
  • edited November 2007
    I found the mouse prefs. Mouse pointer still doesnt show up. I set it so I could press control to show where the mouse is. It might be a driver if I could find an updated driver for the video card thats in it. Ive tried with the internal mouse and an external mouse.

Im gonna install Beryl and Wine on it next.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2007
    One thing I don't understand. If you can't see your cursor how are you navigating the GUI? Just guessing?
  • edited December 2007
    when you move the mouse around the buttons on the desktop and on the menubar the buttons flash so I figure out where my mouse is that way.