Did EPoX go out of business?

danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
edited November 2007 in Hardware
I can't find EPoX boards anywhere anymore (in case I want to replace my current EPoX EP-MF570SLI with another EPoX board). Why this got me interested is that I installed the Zalman 9700NT CPU Cooler and was trying to use a common screwdriver to get the clip onto the tab, and the screwdriver hit a capacitor. Luckily the cap wasn't damaged and the computer started up fine. My CPU runs about 8-10C cooler than it does with stock cooling

But however, doing a search on EPoX yields some interesting results:
http://xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/20070626201653.html
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1601&Itemid=1
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1600&Itemid=1

Of course as an alternate to EPoX, who is better, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI or Abit?
(I prefer a board that has the metal can capacitors -- what were these called?)

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    They didn't go out of business, but they are no longer making motherboards.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Interesting. I'd been wondering about Epox, too. I'm not interested in any of their motherboards, but had just noticed you don't see them anymore.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Gigabyte and Asus are now the best.

Metal can capacitors are capacitors. They're all metal cans...
    edited November 2007
    I think Abit is finally making a comeback. I now run an IP35-E. Excellent, stable, high performance board. But...the one I purchased a few weeks ago was so unstable I had to RMA it back to Newegg.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited November 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Gigabyte and Asus are now the best.

Fully agreed, If you go the AMD route DFI still makes a very solid board, but there overshadowed in the intel realm by the current lineup form Asus and Gigabyte.

THB I use to hate gigabyte but there old stuff was average but overpriced, The newer stuff is top notch tho. Abit is dead and overrated there only good boards from them were the NF7's and the IF7 series. The current stuff is average with bling bling attached.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited November 2007
    OH NO!!!
    I love epox boards.. This sucks.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2007
    Gigabyte has come a long way. They are producing some top notch boards now-a-days. Its amazing the sheer number of boards Asus cranks out--the P5K-E is an amazing board for the money.

Unfortunate about EPoX. They made some great boards over the years. I noticed their latest lineup was AM2 exclusively. I didn't see any 775 offerings the last time I was on their site.
    edited November 2007
    but there overshadowed in the intel realm by the current lineup form Asus and Gigabyte.
    Don't forget Abit. I've avoided Abit for three years now. I think I'm a fan again. And yes, Gigabyte is no longer the junk, low-end brand of choice. I have one of their new beauties as well.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited November 2007
    Epox's offical webstore is still up and appears to have stock... I have a feeling EPOX usa is going to be gone soon tho. (They have only officially closed shop in europe)

webstore

From the looks of the pricing they must smell that the end is near because some of these prices are way too low.

edit: That ITX system is looking very tempting.

edit: That old stock of 478's looks really tempting as well.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited November 2007
    Ok, between Asus and Gigabyte. Should I go with the nVidia chipset or AMD chipset. I am probably right that you can't run an nVidia card on an AMD chipset in SLI mode, but you can run it in single card mode.

I was thinking of the following Gigabyte board:
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813128070
    (See http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList/WebPage/mb_071105_ma790/tech_071103_ma790.htm )

Or one of these Asus boards here (NewEgg compare)
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Is there a reason you want an AM2 board?
    edited November 2007
    Because I already have the AM2 EPoX EP-MF570SLI and want to replace it sometime near the end of next year with something a little newer.

And is there something newer than AM2/AM2+?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Yeah. You get WAY better bang for the buck with an Intel system. If you're looking to build a new system, it's the way to go. The only reason to stick with AMD is if you're planning on reusing an existing processor and have a really tight budget.
    edited November 2007
    I don't ever plan on going to Intel. I am an AMD person no matter what. Why should I spend more money for an intel system when I can basically do the same stuff for less money on an AMD system.
    edited November 2007
    This is why you never get the answers you're looking for in the threads you post, Danball. You ask for help, and then never accept the advice people give you. You take no one at their face value, and do not listen to reason.

What do you expect us to do for you when you ask questions, but won't take answers?
    edited November 2007
    I don't ever plan on going to Intel. I am an AMD person no matter what. Why should I spend more money for an intel system when I can basically do the same stuff for less money on an AMD system.
    Two and three years ago I would have said "amen" to that statement. Unfortunately for AMD and those stuck on brand loyalty, AMD is one and half generations in technology and performance behind Intel. Cheaper, less expensive? Maybe. But you really do get what you pay for and not anything more. It's a new reality.
    when I can basically do the same stuff for less money on an AMD system
    If you only want mid-range or entry level performance, then that part of your statement holds some merit.

This, coming from a person who learned to build and overclock computers on AMD platforms. Yeah, me.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited November 2007
    As much of an AMD fan as I am (or used to be), I'd go with intel as of now. Who knows, maybe in a few years AMD will come out with some better products, but Intel is definitely on top now.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited November 2007
    The only reason I'm not updating to intel, or getting a quad fx system, is one reason I think we can all associate to.

Lack of funds.

I don't make a damn thing when it comes to work. I make enough to get my bills, and maybe a nice little..And I mean little something for myself. I don't have enough capitol to take out a 300 dollar match loan from my bank. I lost my sponsor, and now it seems that I may lose my slot. All because of me not being able to keep it together in public. It's almost not worth being as good at it as I am, you know? Ah well. It's not like anyone cares anyway.

But yeah danball. These guys know their stuff, and they're good people. But you know what's best about them? This is all free. Don't get me wrong I love AMD. Before the Cores, if it came to performance and power efficiency, you went AMD. I don't have blind loyalty anymore. It got stolen from me. Intel's where it's at until the desktop phenom hits the shelves in a week or so and we see some results from AMD. I've not got a good feeling about the phenom...
    edited November 2007
    Hmm... Considering that I do seem to do what Thrak says, maybe I ought to try Intel next year, as long as it can take my DDR2 ram, and all I would have to buy is the motherboard and a CPU. Though, I might wind up getting DDR3 ram.

Any good ideas as to what is a good Dual Core Intel that keeps my current RAM at DDR2 800 - 400MHz Spec (Patriot eXtreme Performance LL DDR2-800 4-4-4-12)? Also, what good Intel board is out there? Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, ect.
    edited November 2007
    Gigabye GA-P35-DQ6 or Asus P5K-E. Both will use your RAM, and both are excellent motherboards. As for the chip, that's up to your budget.
    edited November 2007
    I guess I am correct in saying that the X38 boards are a little overkill right now, and the P35 boards are fine for now and until next year?
    edited November 2007
    IMO, right now P35 > X38, unless you are a Xfire guy with 2 cards, then X38 has 2 x 16x PCI-e
    edited November 2007
    Do these boards not support SLI at all, Or is it all Crossfire now?
    edited November 2007
    SLI is AMD only, unfortunately.
    edited November 2007
    Wow, I thought SLI was nVidia's doing, not AMD's. I learn something new everyday.
    edited November 2007
    It is NVIDIA's doing, but it's only available on the AMD platform.

Luckily for US, ATI cards don't suck again. Or you can use one really powerful NVIDIA card.
    edited November 2007
    Two board's I have narrowed down to
    GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 (as seen on Leonardo's signature)
    Asus P5K-E/WIFI-AP or Asus P5K-E

Oh, and I have an nVidia 7950GT KO 512MB video card. Tell me what is a good ATI card.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2007
    I've been using the P5K-E here. It is an awesome board. If you are an overclocker, the voltage damper on it to prevent vdroop works very well. Very good bang for the buck.
    edited November 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    It is NVIDIA's doing, but it's only available on the AMD platform.
    WHAT ??

Thrax, did you leave some brain cells at work today?

Nvidia makes a chipset for Intel CPU's that runs SLI ;)
    edited November 2007
    yeah, I was thinking of the Intel chipsets. :\

sigh. And I only slept 4 hours. I shot my wad on flaming nubs on the OCZ boards.