Internet error : 12029

edited November 2007 in Science & Tech
i keep getting error 12029 on my main PC when i KNOW its connected to the internet because when i go to my router via that PC it says im connected but everytime i try to load up a page on firefox OR internet Explorer it doesnt work . Its like it doesnt even bother to load the Page up just goes to straight couldnt connect check internet etc. Now Ive been checking Many Forums about this but cant find out how to fix it ive done system restore because thought might be a update of some sort thats made it error like this and ive checked for virus . I dont have not internet firewall except the one you get from BT home Hub so i dont know what could be going wrong ? help me out ! and ive tested connection on laptop (which im on now) and its working fine so its not the internet >,< Anyway if u need me to post more info pls tell HELP ME !

Comments

• KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited November 2007
    winxp - Check your windows firewall settings - control panel - security center - firewall settings.
  • edited November 2007
    firewall setting is already off still doesnt work its not that its just being gay because i have NOT changed any settings since yesterday night at 2am where it was workin and now i woke up at 8 and it wont open up websites/ dowlnload when all the other PCs / laptops in the house work perfectly ! and when check my routers home page (bt home hub) says its connected which i know it is just not opening site for some reason >,<
  • edited November 2007
    just looked at my connection when it says im connected under the support tab and it doesnt say anything under the defaul gateway bit which it used to normally say and the address type is set as assigned by DHCP dunno if that helps but yea thought it would of fixed itself by now but PC internet still doesnt work please someone help !
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited November 2007
    Can you setup a new internet connection - see if that works.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Are you connected via wireless or Ethernet? If wireless, right click on the connection symbol in the task tray and select Repair.
  • edited November 2007
    yes i am connected via wireless and ive already clicked repair like 100 times ive found out that even when i do "appear" to be connecte when i check the tab that tells u gateway etc there is NO gateway next to it so somethings wrong for it not to be able to connect to the gateway and for all my other PCs to be able to :S
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Ast400,

If you are assigned by DHCP, then its not going to say anything in those places in Windows.

Go to Start, type "CMD", when the Dos Box opens, type "ipconfig". That will list your IP, subnet mask, and default gateway for all connections. Look at the one for Wireless and post what they say.

Thanks
  • edited November 2007
    ok thanks this is what came up when i did ipconfig on that PC

Connection-specific DNS suffix - Home
    IP address = 192.168.1.70
    subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
    default gatway = (nothing next to it its blank)

and by the way my laptop + my sisters gets a gateway and my pc thats not working used to get a gateway aswell !
    which is 192.168.1.254 (laptop) so i thought that would have to be the case on PC aswell well i do computer network engineering so i do know a bit about this stuff and my PC that magically started not to work over night did used to have default gateway so i dunno :S maybe somethings happened anyway thanks for ur help so far if u can try to find out the problem causiong my webpages not to load up etc even when says "connected" id be much appreciative ! :D
    edited November 2007
    That is definitely the problem.

What is issuing your DHCP? Are all these connected to a wireless router or are you using the laptop with internet connection sharing and all traffic goes through it?
  • edited November 2007
    well my laptop and my sisters PC go thru the router (BT HOME HUB) and my PC goes through it aswell and its wireless yes but yea i dont understand what or cant find out whats the problem ive reseted the router countless times and press repair etc
    edited November 2007
    Ok... on the PC that is not working.

Go into the Network properties for the Wireless connection, then go to the TCP/IP settings where it shows "Obtain IP address automatically" switch it to "use the following IP address"

You want to set this:

Leave the DNS info at the bottom blank.

Click OK, then OK again. It may take about 10 seconds then go back to the network connections box, go ahead and close it.

Now try to surf.

Let me know what happens.
  • edited November 2007
    ok i did that and let it reconnect etc and for a second i thought YES u figured it out but well for some reason very strange Skype works goes online etc can make calls but avg wont connect to update + internet explorer 7 and firefox wont let me surf at all + any of my Online Games say cannot connect to server but the gateway etc is connected because did manually so i dont know now !? any chance u know anything else it could be ?
    edited November 2007
    Ok...now you have a default gateway.

Go to Start, Run, type "CMD" again.

Now try to Ping something...like Ping www.google.com, do you get a reply? You should get 4 results with xxx ms and then a summary that says 0% loss. If you get "request timed out" 4 times....we have more problems and it could be because we left the DNS entries blank.

If you get no answer to pinging google. Try this: ping 4.2.2.2, does that give you results?
  • edited November 2007
    ok i pinged google first and i got "Ping request could notfind host www.google.com" so i then pinged the address u told me and i got this reply
    reply from 4.2.2.2 bytes =32 time 93ms ttl 47 (repeated that message 4 times)
    then
    Ping Statistics for 4.2.2.2
    packets = sent 4 recieved 4 lost 0 (0% loss)
    approxiamate round trip times in milliseconds
    minimum = 90ms maximum 93ms average 91ms
  • edited November 2007
    its ok now i manually entered the DHCP and stuff then it worked now :P thanks for the help !