Last chance for AGP

ronboronbo Connecticut
edited December 2007 in Hardware
Hi all, I have not posted in a while but I am needing your advice once again. I cannot afford to upgrade to PCI Express and core duo at the moment. Please keep that in mind. I have a MSI K8N Neo 2 platinum motherboard with a AMD FX-55 cpu. I have 2 gigs of Patriot memory DDR running 2.3.2.5. The graphics card is a Leadtek 6800GT. I have been fine up till now. I installed Call of Duty 4. Crysis, Timeshift and a few other games. Crysis adjusted my setting to low and I would like to go up a little higher. It looks like there are only 2 choice's for me. This card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102071

or this card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130274

I want to get the last drop of blood out of my socket 939 AGP system. Will I see any improvement over my 6800GT in crysis with either of these 2 cards? I have been a Nvidia fan ever since the Gforce 1 came out but if the ATI is better I will get it....Thanks for any replies, I would like to order it before the weekend......

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited November 2007
    I just upgraded from AMD 3500, 1Gb Corsair and a 8800GTS because Crysis turned ALL my settings to low, even though it ran CoD4 (and anything else) perfectly well. The 8800 is the recommended card for Crysis. I had to upgrade because of RAM and CPU. I'm guessing that anything AGP will struggle on Crysis.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    From what I have seen the X1950pro is the most powerful AGP card that is generally available.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited November 2007
    Thanks for the reply guys.....Looks like ATI wins....
  • broady81broady81 Member
    edited November 2007
    Indeed, the X1950 is the most poweful AGP currently available (and not badly priced either) :wink: Enjoy AGP while it lasts... :sad2:
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    The new HD38xx cards will have an AGP variant released soon. I'd wait for it.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/06/amd-set-capture-100-agp-market
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited November 2007
    What is an HD38? I received your reply as I was adding the 1950Pro to my cart at NewEgg. I don't know if that was an omen or what? I will Google this HD38 now to see what it is......
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited November 2007
    Guess Thrax does not understand that some of us are poor. Sure AGP is junk but it's all I can afford. I have been saving my money for three months just to get a better video card. Up grade to PCI Express, sure if my wife wins the lottery and all the bills get paid. Think I'll go back to NewEgg now and hit the check out key while the 1950 pro is still in stock........
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I'm with you Ronbo, I have three AGP computers in the house, with no forseeable path to PCI-E for at least another year.

I'd wait on that 1950. Check out the HD series before you click!
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    So you know both AMD and Nvidia are pushing out new AGP chips in the next 3 months... This will make current AGP chips drop in price and offer cheap new AGP chips :)
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited November 2007
    Thanks Prime and Sledge. Prime, you were 2 hours late with your reply. I had hit the checkout button at NewEgg 2 hours before you posted. I'm sure this 1950 Pro will be a step or two up from my 6800GT (fingers crossed). I know NewEgg reviews are not the same as reading the Bible, but the card does look promising from what I've read so far. I was thinking that when this new HD series comes out they will not be that cheap at first and the remaining AGP cards on the market might be all gone by that time. The biggest scare for me is going to ATI. I have been with Nvidia from the Gforce one till the 6 series. I will have to make sure I use a good cleaner to get the Nvidia drivers out before the ATI goes in. I screwed that up last time I tried by taking all the Nvidia drivers out by mistake. Then I remembered my motherboard uses nforce drivers for the internet and chipset. This time my nephew will remove the proper vga drivers for me..Had to do a system restore last time to get my internet back....When the card goes in, I will report back on how it works in my antique system....
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited December 2007
    Ok, the x1950 Pro went in today without a hitch. I went to control panel and uninstalled the Nvidia graphics drivers. Popped in the ATI an used the 7-11 drivers that I had downloaded a few days ago. Crysis now plays on medium settings and is running very smooth. COD4 looks and plays beautiful and so does GRAW2 which was a little laggy before. My Enermax seems to handle it without a problem. I have 475 watts with 32 amps on the 12 volt rails. Everest Ultimate does not see the GPU so I cannot monitor the temps. I did not look at the cd that the card came with, I went to ATI for the drivers. I might find something on the CD to monitor the temps. Thanks for all your input guys.......