Setting Up A wireless LAN for Gaming?

edited November 2007 in Science & Tech
How do I set one of these up for gaming? tell me what info you need to help me and Ill get it to ya ASAP.
Sniper

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    You don't have any wired options at all? Wireless for gaming only works for very few machines or games that have very efficient network code.
  • edited November 2007
    I can do it wired also I have both capabilities in my house but I cant get my wired or wireless to work for LAN gaming.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Check firewall settings and the like. What operating systems?
  • edited November 2007
    Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 and Windows XP Professional.
    What do you mean firewall settings?

I have IOLO Firewall/Antivirus.

Add the other computer as a trusted member? Would I have to set the other computer up as a part of a network place?
  • maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
    edited November 2007
    You should be able to have wireless LAN gaming, over where i am we do wireless LAN gaming by connecting to a computer-computer network which one of us creates...we also can do it through the internet, but our school blocks it, so we go for creating a computer-computer network...

But yeah, firewalls need to be off....

PS this works for game like BF2, CSS, DoDS and COD2...all of which we play through wireless lan...
  • edited November 2007
    Isnt there too much of a liability of your computer being attacked or getting a virus. I know my computers get attacked. My old computer I reinstalled it and had it hooked up to the internet for maybe 2 hours and it got about 8 or 9,000 viruses/spyware/adware/malware junk on it I couldnt believe it.
  • maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
    edited November 2007
    Well usually when me and my friends are connected to a computer-computer network we aren't playing through the internet (and in this case we are usually all gathered together...)

If you are connected to the internet by the same server, then i think wireless LAN should work, and yeah virus attacks may happen....i have Norton Internet Security 2007, and it blocks any intrusions....do you have an anit-virus software?
  • edited November 2007
    Ya I have IOLO Antivirus and Firewall. This isnt going into a server for a game like AOE 3. We start the game, go to multiplayer, Host a server through LAN and it doesnt show up on the other computer hooked into our wireless or Cable modem hub.
  • edited November 2007
    can you see other machine(s) on your windows network?
  • edited November 2007
    No I cant, I can only see my own computer so should I go through and set up a network. I usually do it when I install my OS but I didnt install it on this computer so I must have to do that.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    how do you get that many viruses or spyware in couple hours after reinstalling windows is beyond. You couldn't have got it, if u didn;t go to certain sites or do certain stupid things.
  • edited November 2007
    I know thats what I said when I saw it all I was doing was installing the drivers on my computer.