i think i'm gonna snap soon

tychotycho Santa Barbara, California!
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
Okay obviously this is a networking problem i am having here. I am at home using my IBM T20 laptop. My parents have a network set up for their two computers that consists of one desktop plugged into the router and another connected via a wireless USB network adaptor (microsoft MN-510). Since this second computer isn't used much, I though "oh why dont i try out the wireless thing". Big mistake. I plugged it in and windows XP pro did its normal "Detected New Hardware" thing and asked about installing the drivers.

I figured that the drivers were probably in windows so i said yes yes yes go ahead but unfortunatly it did not work. So then i looked for a CD with drivers on it, however i never found it. Normally this wouldn't be a problem because i would just uninstall the wireless adaptor and use my network card like i have been doing. But for whatever reason every time i boot up my computer windows says "Found New Hardware" even though nothing new is connected. This new "unknown" device does me the nice favor of screwing up my network connection. I have no idea why.

I had found a way to get around it by either disabling it or uninstalling it or something but i can't get it to work anymore. Today after i couldn't get around the problem I went onto the only functioning computer left and downloaded the drivers for the wireless thing. I then burned them on CD and got them onto my laptop. Next i ran the .exe to install the drivers as it said to do on microsoft's website. Obviously i then plugged in the wireless adaptor so that it would install properly with the hope that i could then uninstall it properly and it would go away. I did all these things and then rebooted only to have the "Found New Hardware" message come up again... and my network connection still doesn't work...

help, please :confused:

Comments

• tychotycho Santa Barbara, California!
    edited June 2003
    Okay update:
    i have no idea where this "unknown" device is coming from... i can plug the wireless adaptor in and it will show up on the device manager list and the unknown device will be there as well. I can only guess that maybe it came from the mis-install the first time i tried this thing
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    boot into safe mode and remove all networking devices. Report back.
    edited June 2003
    okay

whats the key to choose how to boot? F5 is it?
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited June 2003
    On startup of your PC, press "F8" when you see the blank screen just BEFORE your PC displays the Windows XP Professional/Home Edition logo and just AFTER your PC completes it's POST and prepares to boot.
    edited June 2003
    uninstall all of the netowrking devices? there are about a dozen of them. Some i know are for my pcmcia wireless card and one is my built in LAN card, but there are 5 thats say WAN-Miniport something. two others are my infrared port and something called "direct parallel"

Should i still uninstall every one of them? Will I be able to get the network card re-installed?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    tycho said
    uninstall all of the netowrking devices? there are about a dozen of them. Some i know are for my pcmcia wireless card and one is my built in LAN card, but there are 5 thats say WAN-something. two others are my infrared port and something called "direct parallel"

Should i still uninstall every one of them? Will I be able to get the network card re-installed?

primesuspect beat me to it - yeah, dump them all. You'll still have the .inf files, so reinstalling should be automatic.

You might have to re-jigger your network settings (especially security stuff) after you're done.

Prof
    edited June 2003
    okay i went for it... but...
    the first uninstall was fine (for the built in network card) but the rest kept saying "Failed to uninstall the device, Device may be required to boot up the computer" Heres a list of what is still there:

Direct Parallel
    Infrared Port
    Instant Wireless - Network PC Card - Packet Scheduler Miniport
    Microsoft Broadband Networking Wireless USB Adaptor - Packet Scheduler Miniport
    WAN Miniport (IP)
    WAN Miniport (IP)- Packet Scheduler Miniport
    WAN Miniport (L2TP)
    WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
    WAN Miniport (PPTP)

should i reboot in normal windows now or what?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Do you have Wake-On-LAN enabled? If so, that might be why it says they're necessary for booting.
    edited June 2003
    no i dont think that i do... i dont even think that my laptop has that feature
    edited June 2003
    alright well i restarted and sure enough there was a "found new hardware" waiting for me for the famous "unknown" device. Also my network card was re-installed
    edited June 2003
    okay i know this is getting annoying seeing a new post from me every 5 minutes, but...

my network connection is working again though my network card, but i have not done anything with the new hardware wizard... i'm afraid to because i feel that once i let it run and it doens't find anything that it will screw things up again... grrrr what to do what to do
    edited June 2003
    okay ill end this stupidness now.. it seems to be working, i uninstalled the unknown device... who knows what was going on

thanks for the help guys
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    you're welcome. I'll send the bill tomorrow.

:D

Oh, they didn't tell you short-media was a pay-for-support site?
    edited June 2003
    hahah

i see you enjoy kicking a guy when he's down huh? or at least kicking him while he is getting back up

i've got my checkbook and pen in hand :p