Laptop Power Jack repair...

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited December 2007 in Hardware
I need to do this to a Dell Inspiron 1150.

Does anyone have any instructions or tips for me in this undertaking?

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Let someone else do it ;)
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I need to do the same thing to a Toshiba Satellite A70.... I even popped the hood and took a look .... some pretty fine soldering ; don't know if I have the experience to properly do the fix but I was able to repair it enough to charge the battery. I'll have to agree with RyderOCZ *Let someone else do it* ; unless you have the skills GH :)
    Cheers.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Damn, I was hoping to be a hero on this one. The input connector sheared clean off the mobo though, so I don't know if a professional can even resurrect the machine...
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    A friend has the same exact laptop with the same exact problem. He gave it to me and I told him it was really beyond anything I could comfortably do - soldering is not my thing.

Not sure how the connector sheared off yours, but it was interesting to read so many people having problems with the power connector.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I've done it several times... 2 dells and some crappy no-name-laptop with a remote circuit board for charging...

You need magnifying glass lamp and a steady hand. I'd do it for you but we are too far for dropping it off.

MagnifyingLamp.jpg
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Not that I doubt your ability GH...nothing to do with it there.

I have had at least 3 laptops through here that needed this done, although none of them had it actually come off the circuit board.

The problem being is that it didn't fix the issue, so either I did it wrong or it wasn't the problem.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2007
    That solder job isn't to bad. But for the job you'll need a really fine tip soldering pin, a magnifying glass, tweezers and a steady hand. Good all around light is also a must. I also recommend getting a good variable wattage soldering iron.

However if you aren't good at soldering I wouldn't recommend tackling this as a first time project. You can do more damage then good. Things that can go potentially wrong. Cold solder joint that creates a short and messes up your laptop beyond repair. Bridged connecting, that causes a short and messes up your laptop beyond repair. To much heat, lifts/melts a trace and damages your laptop beyond repair. Probably a couple more but those are the most common issues, and they aren't that difficult to do by accident.

In this case the risk is higher because you are dealing with the power input so making a bad solder here could create a chain reaction of effects.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    If you need parts or if you want to get a Dell fixed try these guys :

http://www.parts-people.com/

They are a "junk yard" for Dells and they have done some very good and reasonable work for several people I know.

Just in case the fun turns into frustration ;)
    edited December 2007
    QCH2002 wrote:
    I've done it several times... 2 dells and some crappy no-name-laptop with a remote circuit board for charging...

You need magnifying glass lamp and a steady hand. I'd do it for you but we are too far for dropping it off.

What kind of bribe will this take... :bigggrin:
    edited December 2007
    If you're willing to pay for shipping, I'll do it for nothing. OR, I can see if Brian is coming to Chi-Town for the Polar Bear dip into frozen Lake Michigan. If so, I could either pick it up from him or drop it off with him. ;)
    edited December 2007
    Q, you are seriously a lifesaver.

THANK YOU.

I have ordered a new jack off of eBay. Once that arrives, I'll send you the new jack and the motherboard (or the laptop, whichever you prefer) along with a suitable token of my appreciation.

THANK YOU!

Did I mention, thanks?
    edited December 2007
    No problem... I'll even cut back my caffeine intake for a day so my hands don't so much... :D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    They shake so much you're skipping whole words. ;D
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited December 2007
    Hope your dam good with the soldering iron.
  • KinetikKinetik Ocala, Florida
    edited December 2007
    Here's an awesome site.... http://www.irisvista.com/tech/
    edited December 2007
    But this is a Dell...

Actually, taking it apart was the most intuitive and least destructive laptop teardown I've ever seen.
    edited December 2007
    The newer Dell's are fairly simple to dissect. There are only 2 or 3 screw types and marked nicely.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I did the same job on mertesn's laptop. It's not too hard. Taking the system apart is the toughest thing (and I had him to that). The soldering was easy, even for a novice like me, but it's best done when you've got somebody around who can lend a 3rd hand. Good luck with it Q.
    edited December 2007
    Done... ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=24569&stc=1&d=1198456269
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Nice work QCH2002! :cheers3:
    edited December 2007
    :respect: