XBox 360 network connection for cheap?

Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
edited December 2007 in Science & Tech
i just got my bro a 360 for is birthday and i need it hooked up to our wireless network, and the router is several layers of concrete away. Is there a way i can plug in wirelessly without moving the 360, without buying a tranciever for between the router at the console, or even without buying a wireless reciever for the 360?

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2007
    Sure click your heels 3 times and make a wish.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    ...gee, thanks. Now im in the heart of Kansas.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    There are things on the web that hack together some wireless solutions from some of the cheaper wireless receivers, but honestly, if he's gonna be on Live, wireless isn't going to cut it. You're better off running cat5, even if it means moving the 360 somewhere it's more feasible.

But if you only care about wireless, look around for those DIY tutorials I mentioned. I can't remember where I saw them, but I'm sure they're out there.
    edited December 2007
    Yeah..my mom though it would be a good idea to get a walkthough that was obviously written by someone who didnt speak english from some shady guy off ebay for 40 dollars.

Theres really no other choice besides getting a transciever and a wireless adapter for the 360 besides moving it into my room (hes very territorial about it, now having it with him would drive him nuts) would be stringing a massive cable though the entire house to plug into our router (i dont see what's wrong with it, but my parents seem to think that it would be too ugly) or move it into the living room with the HDTV (one again, my brother wont do this).

Is it really that bad? My Wii internet connection sucks, it took like 15 tries to find a match for pokemon battle revolution.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    Well, what you could do is an old shortwave trick. Drill a copper tude through the concrete, and weld/screw copper pannels to them to extend the frequency range. This adds loss, but it does work. It gives the radiowaves something to conduct through.
    edited December 2007
    Well another thing to consider is the whole "xbox puts out lots of 2.4GHz interference" issue. It might actually interfere with your wireless connection. Have they thought about running cat5 around the outside of the house? That's what I have to get net up to my room upstairs. No cables running inside the house, just a couple small holes in the router room and the xbox room.

Something to think about. The wireless is likely fine, but if he's really competitive, it's gonna be a sticking point on Live.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2007
    [quote=Gate28without buying a wireless reciever for the 360?[/quote]

Did everyone else miss this part? The xbox doesn't have a build in wifi adapter - you need to buy a wifi adapter if you want it to go wireless.
    edited December 2007
    ... we know. What did you think all the above posts were?
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited December 2007
    MJancaitis wrote:
    ... we know. What did you think all the above posts were?

If you decide to go wireless, it's not gonna be cheap. The wireless adapter for the 360 is about 90 bucks and I don't think there's any way around that. Consider the layers of concrete in between... additional hardware to boost the signal will cost even more.

Might as well run a really long wire.
    edited December 2007
    Which I said from the start. But I think we can all agree that it's fairly likely MS is overcharging for a wireless adapter, hence why I believe cheaper versions can be "hacked" together. I made no claims it would be as good or as easy, but I bet you can get similar functionality for slightly less money and some elbow grease.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    Well, The one Microsoft sells for the 360 is the only one you're legally allowed to use according to that console crap since to use another one you'd have to hack the console. So I don't know what to tell you guy.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    You know what has near 100% dependability, is cheap, effective, and probably will never fail?

wait for it...

Ethernet!

If you don't mind putting 'elbo grease' into it anyway you should just run a wired connection because that wireless connection, especially through all that concrete will never be able to handle the load.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Run a cable.
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, my parents decided that it would be make more "economic sense" to actually call the cable guy out so that he can tell them that wireless wont go back there and we need a wire....which we already knew.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited December 2007
    TheGr81 wrote:
    If you decide to go wireless, it's not gonna be cheap. The wireless adapter for the 360 is about 90 bucks and I don't think there's any way around that.

We have an 360 connected wireless. I got a Linksys gaming adapter and plug the 360 into that. Don't know how the price compares with the 360 adapter but I think it was cheaper.
    Edit, http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WGA54G-Wireless-G-Gaming-Adapter/dp/B00009X6DT
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited December 2007
    Cyclonite wrote:
    Run a cable.

Yup, Amanda and I have a Manufactured home right now...

Got out the tyvek suit, and ran everything under the house in the crawlspace... 360 ethernet, rear surround wire...

The new houses we're looking at make this nigh-impossible.... No attic, no cellar, no crawlspace!!
    edited December 2007
    RADA wrote:
    Yup, Amanda and I have a Manufactured home right now...

Got out the tyvek suit, and ran everything under the house in the crawlspace... 360 ethernet, rear surround wire...

The new houses we're looking at make this nigh-impossible.... No attic, no cellar, no crawlspace!!

I don't think I would like a house with a flat roof. But even so, they have to put the insulation somewhere. It's just a matter of fishing it.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Use a Ethernet >> Wireless bridge, that's what I've done. Not only does the bridge only cost £28 (compared to the XBox's £60 wireless) it has a much stronger signal, works with any device and you can connect 4 things at once to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Technology-AirStation-Converter-WLI-TX4-G54HP/dp/B000BNDEZY

I'm using it right now on my XBox 360 Elite and it's flawless.
    edited December 2007
    I don't think I would like a house with a flat roof. But even so, they have to put the insulation somewhere. It's just a matter of fishing it.

ABF -

You're still thinking in cold climate terms....

Peaked roofs serve two functions:

Large pocket of neutral air between living spaces and the extreme cold of the outside.

Allow snow to slide off so the roof doesn't collapse..

It was "cold" this morning - the digital therm said 41 when I got up to let the dog out at 4:45 am.. That's almost as cold as it gets out here.. And we don't get snow, so there's no need to spend all the extra $$ to build a house for climate conditions we don't experience.

Builders out here use insulation, but not like where you live. Yes I could use a fish tape, to pull wires up in between the joists, on the vertical, but how do I move on the horizontal, from one joist bay to the next? Remember, no attics, no basements.... I'd have to make holes in the drywall big enough to insert a drill to make another hole in each of the joists I want to pass wire through. Now do you see my dilemma?
    edited December 2007
    Yes, but insulation works both ways. You have to keep your house insulated in warm/hot weather too or else you're cooling bill would be outrageous. Yes we get pretty cold, but we also top out around 112 F in the summer.

I just don't see how there is no dead space. Unless they framed the roof with 2x10s or bigger which in my mind would be a waist of money because 2x4s are much cheaper. You only need the load bearing joints to be that big.
  • edited December 2007
    Enverex wrote:
    Use a Ethernet >> Wireless bridge, that's what I've done. Not only does the bridge only cost £28 (compared to the XBox's £60 wireless) it has a much stronger signal, works with any device and you can connect 4 things at once to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Technology-AirStation-Converter-WLI-TX4-G54HP/dp/B000BNDEZY

I'm using it right now on my XBox 360 Elite and it's flawless.

Good idea that.
    edited December 2007
    Yes, but insulation works both ways. You have to keep your house insulated in warm/hot weather too or else you're cooling bill would be outrageous. Yes we get pretty cold, but we also top out around 112 F in the summer.

I just don't see how there is no dead space. Unless they framed the roof with 2x10s or bigger which in my mind would be a waist of money because 2x4s are much cheaper. You only need the load bearing joints to be that big.

AFB,

Your STILL thinking in cold weather terms.

Most builders don't use fiberglass in the walls or the ceilings, they use solid foam.

Yes, builders use joists and trusses for the roofs here, but again, warm weather = a much lower peak on the roofs = reduced crawlspace, if any... + 90% of the houses here have vaulted/cathederal ceilings, which reduces attic-type space even more. Also, I've looked at over 100 houses in the last 6 months, and have YET to find one with a ceiling hatch for access into a crawlspace. Seen quite a few houses using 2x8 contruction for the roof joists, with roof materials on one side, and finished sheetrock on the other with some foam insulation in the joist bays...

Don't believe me, check out the houses for sale on Remax.com or Ziprealty.com and look at anything built after 1990....