I am legend (SPOILERS!!)

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited December 2007 in The Pub
For anyone who has seen I am legend; are you as dissapointed as I am with it? I know it was a book and it's based off of it, but I mean come on, if your gonna make a movie you gotta tweak it a bit to make it seem more believable.

The part that seemed incredibley stupid to me was at the end when Dr. Neville or however his name is spelled (we'll just say will smith), was behind the plexi glass and that huge guy was trying to break through. He then tells the lady and the boy to get inside the vault thing and to escape while he sacrafices himself with the grenade to kill the infected people. How stupid was that? He could have easily gotten in the vault thing, pulled the pin and tossed the grenade, and then closed the door and everything would've been fine. He cold have gone to that survivor colony and everything would be better ;)

Also, that lady narrorating at the end completely ruined it for me. Up until the last 5-10 minutes of the movie I though it was awesome, but the ending just killed it for me. So basically if they re-wrote the ending it'll kick ass. Like I said, I know it was a book and they were following it, but they could have at least changed it some since such a wide audience is going to see it, and I'm sure theres others out there who are dissappointed with it too.

Comments

• ClutchClutch North Carolina
    edited December 2007
    From what I have been told the movie ended no where near how the book ended. I enjoyed the movie, it was worth watching. I was kind of dissapointed in the ending, but that's Hollywood for you.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC
    edited December 2007
    I saw it and was quite disappointed with the ending. Since the story was something I was unfamiliar with, I looked up a plot summary online prior to watching the film. I really liked what the summary said about how the "legend" status was related to characters with the scientist at the end of the book becoming a legend to the infected people much like how vampires were legends to mankind.

After reading the summary, I saw something mentioned that there was a sequel option for the film, so I figured Will Smith wouldn't die in the end like the original protagonist. So I went into the film expecting differences, but they tweaked things too much and lost some of the story's deeper elements. It's like Smith's character was too simplified.

Perhaps if the person seeing the film for the first time had no idea about the original story they'd have a better experience.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited December 2007
    Well at least i'm not the only one upset with the ending.

Come on, they killed off the two main characters: Will and Sam...poor sam, he was an awesome dog. Makes me really want a german shepard now.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan
    edited December 2007
    Sam, or Samantha was a female! And I loved the movie!
    edited December 2007
    oops i didnt even realize i typed "he". Meant to say "she was a an awesome dog".
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited December 2007
    It was a more intelligent 28 Weeks Later. It was okay.
    edited December 2007
    I've seen 28 days later, haven't seen 28 weeks later though. I'll have to check it out sometime, I like zombie type movies. What do you guys think about it?
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL
    edited December 2007
    After seeing the movie, and reading the reivews that say it was nowhere near the book, I definitely am going to try to pick up the book to read... I've already seen that they have recovered the book with a version that has a scene from the movie, even though they are nowhere near each other in plot...
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales
    edited December 2007
    The idea for 28 Days later came from the original book this was based off.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan
    edited December 2007
    I try not to be the a-hole literary type who says "oh, the book was way better than the movie". In this case however, the book was way better than the movie. Now i liked 28 days/weeks later. I Am Legend was way too short in my opinion.
  • edited December 2007
    From what I have read, the idea for 28 Days Later came from a similar book, called Day of the Triffids, rather than the novel of I am Legend.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC
    edited December 2007
    Day of the Triffids is sweet!
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit
    edited December 2007
    This was my second zombie movie; I also watched 28 Days Later three years ago... and it will be another 3 years until my next zombie movie, I think.

The movie was good, my experience was not - as it never is with horror/suspense movies. They stress me out and I get very little entertainment from them.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited December 2007
    Awwww...
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell
    edited December 2007
    Keebler wrote:
    They stress me out

lol wut