Quick-and-Dirty Guide to Start Folding!

Comments

• DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Ok, let me try
    It's like this all our pcs are folding and giving info on the folds and when they see the simulaity in them they mark them. and when they see simulaity in a person being tested that could mean early detection.
    Early detection means it can be addressed before it get to the point of no return.
    Ok that's how I see it
  • TrevTrev California
    edited February 2007
    ok I think i pretty much understant it now!
    its kind of like physics we have to find the formula to get the answers and then once we find the formula we plug it all into a calculator to do the work for us
    so we do all the hard part in finding the formulas and the calculators just make it easier and faster to find the answers!
    im probably way off... but hey atleast I kind of see how computers can help
    Im going to download it!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Trev, if you need any assistance setting up the Folding@Home program, please let us know. You are welcomed to our team.
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited February 2007
    Trev wrote:
    ok I think i pretty much understant it now!
    its kind of like physics we have to find the formula to get the answers and then once we find the formula we plug it all into a calculator to do the work for us
    so we do all the hard part in finding the formulas and the calculators just make it easier and faster to find the answers!
    im probably way off... but hey atleast I kind of see how computers can help
    Im going to download it!

Welcome to the :fold:Team Trev :bigggrin:

Some further info for you.:)
    A super computer has a peak capacity. That is, if a workload is three times the capacity of the computer, the jobs must be "queued up" and attacked consecutively. A project like this one might take so much time that a researcher wouldn't even embark on it—he or she wouldn't see the end result in their lifetime. However, with distributed computing, thousands or even millions of individual computers can each work on different molecules/proteins simultaneously, and the time to results can be significantly lessened.

This can mean that illness like cancer is tackled quicker, drugs are better targeted to the particular disease, with less side effects to the patient.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    As far as settings go, my machines are rarely interupted, so I set interval to 30 min. I figure any less time wasted writing is good.
  • n_ver_endingn_ver_ending "Cloud 9...mind's sky"
    edited February 2007
    profdlp wrote: »
    Delete the EMIII folder from Program Files and remove the shortcut from the Startup group and you'll have it gone. :)

I mixed the EMIII in with my FOLDING folder...how can i tell them apart?
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited February 2007
    I mixed the EMIII in with my FOLDING folder...how can i tell them apart?

Eeek!

Unfortunately in this case, EMII does not use an install/uninstall utility, so you will have to do this uninstall by hand. Attached are the files and directories that come with and are generated by EMIII. Deleting these by hand should not impact the FAH instance.

While the author does not care that you install it into the FAH directory, I would, for this very reason, install it next time into its own directory. Then you can remove EMIII much more simply.
    edited February 2007
    Oriane wrote: »
    Eeek!

Unfortunately in this case, EMII does not use an install/uninstall utility, so you will have to do this uninstall by hand. Attached are the files and directories that come with and are generated by EMIII. Deleting these by hand should not impact the FAH instance.

While the author does not care that you install it into the FAH directory, I would, for this very reason, install it next time into its own directory. Then you can remove EMIII much more simply.

I believe I deleted all the ones that matched off my computer. If that is all, then I am good to go :)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Cool... :thumbsup: See what a good team we have!! :D
    edited March 2007
    I am sure this question was as in another thread, but I can't find it now that I need. I have a laptop and when I need to go wireless F@H sucks up the battery life in about 10 minutes. How can I pause it?
    edited March 2007
    There is a setting in the F@H configuration, the screen that shows up when your first install Folding, that allows for a "Pause" setting when the laptop is on battery. It really works.

Here's how to change the configuration:

-- turn off Folding
    -- create a shortcut of the F@H starting icon and put it on your deskdtop
    -- right click on that icon, then select properties, then select the "Shortcut" tab
    -- scroll to the right end of the 'Target' field. It should look like this "......exe." Delete anything that follows the (") marke.
    -- now, after ", add this flag, -configonly, that is a space after the exe" followed by -configonly.
    -- close the properties window and click on your modified icon. it will open the config file. when you get to the point where it asks you if you wish to change advanced settings, enter y or yes. you will get to a setting where you can enter 'yes' for Folding to pause when the laptop is on battery power.
    -- after you have made the change to the configuration, and you have closed the properties window, DELETE that shortcut on your desktop. It will save the configuration change, but your other shortcuts will still work.
    --
  • edited March 2007
    Hey everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself and say that I started folding today. I came upon this on accident when looking for info on some spyware for a friend! I'm really glad I found it though. I keep my computer on a LOT (even over night!) and all it does is waste electricity. Now it's actually doing something helpful! Well, it's really late and I'm bushed. Thank you for introducing me to F@H!
    edited March 2007
    Thank you so much for joining our team. We welcome you now as full-fledged teammate!

Please stay at the forums and be active. No matter your skill level or experience, you will find respect here.

Did you set your Folding client's configuration to Team 93? Please say yes!
  • edited March 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Thank you so much for joining our team. We welcome you now as full-fledged teammate!

Please stay at the forums and be active. No matter your skill level or experience, you will find respect here.

Did you set your Folding client's configuration to Team 93? Please say yes!
    I assure you that I did. I was a little unsure of how to configure everything at first, but I got it and it's working great. ^^
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Welcome to the team :)
    Poke around the forum and have some fun.
    We're not all geeks, but we do enjoy being here. :)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Welcome! :fold:
    edited March 2007
    Welcome to the folding family!!! :D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2007
    Glad to have you here, Muratsuki. :cheers:
    edited May 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    There is a setting in the F@H configuration, the screen that shows up when your first install Folding, that allows for a "Pause" setting when the laptop is on battery. It really works.

Here's how to change the configuration:

-- turn off Folding
    -- create a shortcut of the F@H starting icon and put it on your deskdtop
    -- right click on that icon, then select properties, then select the "Shortcut" tab
    -- scroll to the right end of the 'Target' field. It should look like this "......exe." Delete anything that follows the (") marke.
    -- now, after ", add this flag, -configonly, that is a space after the exe" followed by -configonly.
    -- close the properties window and click on your modified icon. it will open the config file. when you get to the point where it asks you if you wish to change advanced settings, enter y or yes. you will get to a setting where you can enter 'yes' for Folding to pause when the laptop is on battery power.
    -- after you have made the change to the configuration, and you have closed the properties window, DELETE that shortcut on your desktop. It will save the configuration change, but your other shortcuts will still work.
    --

Hi there,
    first question, how do i turn off F@H?
    second, from what file do I make a shortcut, I have had folding for a while.

I feel so long and it looks so simple to do.
    Sorry
    edited May 2007
    Hi there,
    first question, how do i turn off F@H?
    second, from what file do I make a shortcut, I have had folding for a while.

I feel so long and it looks so simple to do.
    Sorry

I use a script to turn off the service... I have two instances of F@H running so my service is based on the following directory structure...
    C:\Program Files\F@H\F@H1 AND C:\Program Files\F@H\F@H2
    cls
    ECHO.
    ECHO Stopping service
    ECHO.

net stop "FAH@C:+Program Files+F@H+F@H1+FAH504-Console.exe"
    net stop "FAH@C:+Program Files+F@H+F@H2+FAH504-Console.exe"

edited May 2007
    Thank you all :D
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited January 2008
    Oooh, I'm gonna join as soon as I get rid of my SmitFraud.C virus. Don't wanna compromise anything. Already downloaded it, just gotta get rid of this darn virus. I'll let you know when I've got it running!
    edited January 2008
    Thanks, Felix!!! It really is fun and addictive endeavor. I've been doing it for about 6 years... would be here at Icrontic if it weren't for folding. WELCOME!!! :D
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, PC is off at the mo, I'm on my laptop.. Once I get my PC cleaned up I will be up and running..

3.4GHz CPU
    3GB DDR2 RAM
    8MB Connection
    On 24 hours a day (NEVER OFF lmao)

Hope it will help. I don't understand how the thing does calculations though.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    :wave:Welcome aboard! Happy Folding:bigggrin:

:smokin:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Welcome to the team :)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2008
    Spybot Search and Destroy....
    edited January 2008
    mmonnin wrote:
    Spybot Search and Destroy....

Yeah, at the moment it cleans everything apart from the virus. Might be because I had 1.4 and the latest is 1.5 but i'm running it in 2 mins to see if it helps :)
    edited January 2008
    woohoo, I'm all clean and folding! Let's see how it goes! :D
    edited January 2008
    Sweet!!! :thumbsup: