Abandoned by McAfee

edited January 2008 in Science & Tech
First I tried tech support through IM, then I tried McAfee forum now it seems I've been abandoned. Here's a link to my original post with it's replies.
http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=215291

When tech IM chat abandoned me they said I need to get cleanup tools for every third party program that used to be on my system.
The forum has put me on ignore with no explanation what so ever. I've followed everything they've asked me to do. They could at least tell me that I'm screwed or to go away since they can't help me.

I have 2 different desk tops that I use I'm having a problem with McAfee Security suite 7.0 on only one it's a dell demension 4700 running XP.
Back in October I accepted and agreed to an upgrade from McAfee that is where my problem began.
The McAfee I'm using is licensed to me through my ISP Comcast.
The first Machine I upgrade is an "E Machine" everything went normal and the whole suite works with no problems.
On the Dell I get errors that "some components are missing please re install firewall". Below the litany of ways that have been exhausted to try and overcome this problem.

Is there anyone here with any ideas what my problem may be?

Since I first started diagnosing this problem I've remembered one other difference between both computers that may be significant. The dell came bundled with norton anti virus free for one year. upon the expiration of the one year I removed it with Add/Remove and installed the first version of McAfee (free w/ comcast) that was on this system.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    You really just need to uninstall <i>all</i> of your security programs, and go with some of our suggestions about security software. Your problems will end and your performance will improve.
  • edited January 2008
    Actually Thrax I thought I've been doing that up until my problem with this one machine. I've been a member for almost 2 years and have not only solved a few of my own problems thanks to the great advice of icrontic members but I've also changed my entire approach to security and privacy and helped a few friends out with similar problems too. Which particular advice are you referring to? Is there advice against using McAfee that I don't know about? It's highly possible since some things have changed since my last visit.
    I'm thinking that a paid subscription to McAfee is safer than a free version of anything else. That's not saying that I'm right thinking that way.
    I just don't think my problem is indicative of the McAfee product performing poorly, I'm just thinking that there's something about this one computer that's interfering with the complete installation. I'm having another problem with this system not sure if it's related in anyway or not but it just started exhibiting itself yesterday afternoon. It was suggested that I try a mem test and I will.
    Thrax wrote:
    You really just need to uninstall <i>all</i> of your security programs, and go with some of our suggestions about security software. Your problems will end and your performance will improve.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    McAfee is notorious bloatware. It's buggy, it's slow, and it strongly hampers system performance. It's a <i>blight</i>. If you were to replace your security software with AVG Anti-Virus and Comodo Personal Firewall, you will achieve the same (If not better) security with a mere <i>fraction</i> of the performance impact, and best of all, <i>no hassle</i>.

I'm serious. The free security software out there is every bit as good as the paid stuff.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Mr. Bombmeister, Thrax is correct. McAfee is a very good AV for deployment across enterprise systems. System administrators like McAfee and Norton as it's easy to centrally manage across multiple computers (think hundreds or thousands). Apart from that, there is no advantage to either product over freeware for home or small office PC.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    McAfee slows computers down - a lot. That's the simple truth.

There's no need for it. Go with AVG, avoid questionable sites, don't click on stupid email links, practice safe internet browsing, and you'll be just fine.
  • edited January 2008
    OK point taken, thanks for the continued advice. I have no loyalties to McAfee that's for sure. They are not only turning a blind eye to my problem but in diagnosis they turn a blind eye to the rest of the computer.
    I guess I need to go secure my system and start my nastygram message to McAfee and Comcast.
  • edited January 2008
    Hey guys is it something I'm doing wrong or is there something wrong with the downloads here? Comodo for instance. when I click on "Click here to Download" it just recreates the same page. :confused:

I did just find it at File Hippo so I'm getting ready to make the switch now. Thanks again
  • edited January 2008
    Big difference thanks guys. Making this change this weekend just answered my other questions about Firefox not running right lately. Something about McAfee was jacking up Firefox and not letting certain images or buttons load on just about all sites. I've been clicking anything on the page then using the browsers back button to correct any pages when they would get hung like that. This is all on the machine that I had not been having problems with McAfee (presumably) on. All instances of that or any other browser hesitations have disappeared. And to think, I was planning on removing and reinstalling Firefox as my next steps.
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited January 2008
    Comodo personal firewall is a great tool to use. If you are getting the same page in firefox when you are trying to download a file Comodo might be over protecting you. If you are sure you are spyware free I would suggest setting the Defense + Security Level to clean PC and Firewall Security level to Custom Policy mode. If you are still unable to download a file from the internet I would recommend reinstalling comodo and going with train with safemode for defense+ and custom policy mode for the firewall (all available by right clicking on the comodo system tray icon). Reinstalling will remove any predefined settings and then it will be up to you to choose wether or not to let your computer do something. Remember to read the comodo pop ups very carefully as you might accidentally disallow a critical system process.
    If you are unsure of a .exe you can always look here for advice about the .exe file: http://www.processlibrary.com/
    I am sure your problem lies with comodo not allowing you to save a file from the internet. Every file I download that has a .exe ending I get a comodo popup asking me to allow the file to be saved. Hope this helps a bit.
  • edited January 2008
    Yeah the comodo works well, it's McAfee that was the problem so I'm good now. Thanks for the process library link though I bookmarked it. :wink:
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Hey guys is it something I'm doing wrong or is there something wrong with the downloads here? Comodo for instance. when I click on "Click here to Download" it just recreates the same page. :confused:

I did just find it at File Hippo so I'm getting ready to make the switch now. Thanks again

Thats weird cuz this guy had the same problem.