Dual save?

AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
edited January 2008 in Science & Tech
I was wondering if it is possible to save a file (like a word document) to two places on two different hard drives at the same time. Like..hitting the save button after typing new stuff into a document, say example.doc, saves to example.doc on the c: drive and the d: drive.

I'm curious about this because I'm a writer and while I tend to make backups when I write new material into the same document, sometimes I might forget for a week or so and so I have ~20 pages of new material that hasn't been backed up. I would like to be able to hit save (or ctrl+s :)) in Word and have it save to both of my hard drives. If this isn't feasible that's fine, I was just curious if such a method existed :)

Thanks

Does this make me sound lazy? :hiding:

Comments

• JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited January 2008
    I'm not too sure about the "double save", but I use Mozy (http://mozy.com/) which backs up any new/modified documents on my computer while it's idle. This way I don't have to remember to back my data up to another drive and I get off site backup.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2008
    There is no way of doing that double save thing, well there might be someone some where that's created such a thing, but it's a waste of time.

If you are running windows xp go into your accessories>system tools>backup and just create a backup job that back's up your 'my documents' folder for example to another spot (a backup folder, a usb drive etc...) then go into control panel, scheduler and create a task that runs the backup routine every day.

Doesn't get much easier then that.
  • test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
    edited January 2008
    *sniffs* I smell raid 1...
    edited January 2008
    raid 1 won't do this at all. If you accidentally delete the file the file will be deleted and having your drives mirrored won't protect you. The only thing a raid would do is protect you in case of hardware failure. Using a backup routine will protect against accidental deletion and if you do a structured backup routine you can even keep copies at different version levels.

Seriously speaking. If you are really concerned about protecting your works I'd suggest getting an external drive and creating several backups like this.

Create a 5 backup rules, one for each day of the week that backup your documents into a seperate folder for monday - friday.

Then create another backup rule that backs up twice a month to a another folder called saturday

Then create one more rule the creates a backup that runs once a month to another folder called sunday

That way you have seperate daily backups for monday - friday. You can go back further and get a 1 or 2 week old backup or further yet and retrieve a 1 month old backup.

Again this is a rather complete solution you can change it as narrow or broad as you want, but that's the idea.
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited January 2008
    If you were going to go with the multiple backup plan you may also consider installing some sort of version control, like CVS or subversion. This way you can check in as many intermediate versions of the file as you see fit.
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited January 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    If you are running windows xp go into your accessories>system tools>backup and just create a backup job that back's up your 'my documents' folder for example to another spot (a backup folder, a usb drive etc...) then go into control panel, scheduler and create a task that runs the backup routine every day.

Okay that's what I did. Thanks very much! :respect:
    edited January 2008
    No problem, that's just the most simple efficient way to do it and it's easy to manage and keep track of.