Laptop keyboard stops working

revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
edited February 2008 in Hardware
hi, basically my i have a laptop which works fine if you use it normally, ie surfing the net, typing etc but whenever i install something new, the keyboard will stop working, completely.

Today i installed a standard Microsoft mouse using the provided cd, everything when smoothly. I was prompted to reastart the computer, so i did. After it had booted up the keyboard would not do anything. ctrl+alt+del...no response, it wouldnt type in word, notepad and i could press all the buttons and smeer my hand all over it with out anything popping up.

basically the computer was still working fine, you could go on the internet, but couldnt type an adress etc.

i reastarted the computer again after this and the keyboard worked again.

this has happened twice before, once when i installed a wireless adapter and another when i did microsoft update.

What on earth is the problem.

The laptop is a Toshiba satellite pro

Pentium 3 1.1ghz
512 mb rab
i dont know any other specs as it is relativly new

Please help. Thanks

Comments

• IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    You didn't mention if it stops working at any other time, such as during normal activity or after a normal start-up when you haven't loaded anything, but assuming you haven't had these problems, I would suggest going to the Toshi website. If you're having this problem, and it's Toshi related, then a million others have as well. To me, barring extraordinary circumstances, you're looking at a hardware conflict undetected when manufactured. They probably have a patch to fix it. And since it's new, it should be under warranty and you should get relief from them.

Good luck!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    The new mouse - is it USB or PS/2?

Does your laptop have a touchpad? If yes, have you tried booting and running the computer without the mouse?

It think this problem will not turn out to be severe.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited January 2008
    erm indigo, i did say " basically my i have a laptop which works fine if you use it normally, ie surfing the net, typing etc" but i will look on there site.

it only does this "stop working thing" whenever i install somthing, such as an update, a driver, a mouse etc.

the mouse is a usb mouse but it has a optional ps2 adapter aswell.
  • edited February 2008
    So many laptops these days are having this problem...why cant they fix this. I had this problem too and it was due to water that got spilled in the keyboard had to send it in and replace the keyboard.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2008
    Mclovin wrote:
    So many laptops these days are having this problem...why cant they fix this. I had this problem too and it was due to water that got spilled in the keyboard had to send it in and replace the keyboard.

So you spilled water on your keyboard and you think that the laptop manufacturers need to improve things? So many shades of wrong.

But for the careless I suggest buy a better laptop. There are of course Panisonic tough books that are water resistant and the IBM Lenovo T (and I think R) Series of laptops have their keyboards isolated from the innards so if liquid does get spilled on the keyboard it can't get in and damage the rest of the machine.