Weird Problem with cable modem and fan...

iDunnoiDunno Dallas, Tejas
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
I have one of those desktop fans and when ever i change the speed or turn it on or off the cable modem hesitates or like the status light flashes causing my internet to be down for like 4 seconds.

This is really bad when im playing counter-strike cuz, if it is hot in my room, i turn on the fan and i get killed too cuz the cable modem stopped working.

I also tried plugging teh fan in at another power outlet but same. i havent tried connecting it to the next room but kinda weird to have one long extendsion cord just for a fan.

yeh and i need the fan cuz my monitor gets hot, i also have a kenwood receiver that i use for my headphones that stays on all day. and also i have my logitech speakers with a sub that gets hot so my room is usually 5 degrees warmer then the other rooms in the house...

anyone have any ideas on a cheap solution to this, i dont want to like 100's for like power conditioners and stuff...

thanks

Comments

• NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    How close is the fan to your cable modem? We had a problem with a monitor in work, its display would shake like crazy when it was a hot day. It took us ages to work out what was wrong with it.

We replaced the monitor - no joy
    We replaced the base unit - no joy.

Found out it was a fan on the desk of the person in front of them. We couldnt see the fan because of the partition in the way.

Try moving the fan away from your cable modem and try it again, see if that works.
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited June 2003
    This is always a funny one...

What is a fan? Yes I know it moves air, but what powers is. A big electro magnetic field. Move the fan to the far side of the desk or get a big floor fan and put it on the other side of the room blowing on you...

Tek
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    TekGamer said
    This is always a funny one...

What is a fan? Yes I know it moves air, but what powers is. A big electro magnetic field. Move the fan to the far side of the desk or get a big floor fan and put it on the other side of the room blowing on you...

Tek

What he said... He got to it before me though. :)
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited June 2003
    Oh. I would have predicted that you were overloading the curcuit. (IE - You turn your washer on and the lights dim for a second.) These guys are probably right with the electro-magnents though :).
  • edited June 2003
    If the fan is kind of old and has some wear and tear on it, you very well could be getting noise induced into the power circuit. It probably is the other thing about the electromagnetic field but this is a possiblity.