Start-Up problem

edited February 2008 in Hardware
Ok I have a start-up problem on one of my older PC's that we removed the side of the case and after putting it back together. upon startup it says Alert case has been recently removed, press F1 to reboot or F2 for Setup. I try F1 and it doesnt do anything. I go and press F2 it takes me to setup I tried to bootup off of a CD but that didnt work just takes me back to the Alert Screen.

Sniper

Comments

• mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Look for a setting in BIOS to disable "chasis intrusion detection" or something along those lines.
  • edited January 2008
    It doesnt work still pops up with the same message
    Sniper
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Press F2....set the "Startup Errors" or "Display Errors at startup" to None or disabled.
  • edited January 2008
    There isnt a setting like that in this BIOS
  • edited January 2008
    What brand and model is this computer? Is this a prebuilt from a major like Dell or HP?
  • edited January 2008
    Dell GX110 from 98 or 95
  • edited January 2008
    Look around on the case side and see if you can find something wired to a microswitch that makes contact with the side and see if you can either disconnect it or jump it. Those Optiplex boxes were made for business use and it sounds like it was wired for a tamper warning device or something, to warn if anyone was stealing components out of it. If you can't find anything, then go into setup and look around. You should be able to find something in that bios to turn that warning BS off I would think.

If that doesn't work, then you might go to Dell's website and look at the manuals for that machine or ask in the Dell forums.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited January 2008
    Yeah look on the side of the case where it came off and look for a switch of some kind. It's either going to be a soft-pressure rocker, or a roller switch. Tape the sucker down, and that might help the problem. To alleviate the warning you're probably going to have to dump the bios. On boards that old, I'm not sure if there's a jumper, but you can just remove the battery for 30 seconds or so, and then put it back in. You'll have to reset the time and all that jazz in the bios, but it should work.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    True, "Dumping" or resetting BIOS would work. I think that warning was set up that way so someone technically inclined would have to fix it. I have not seen an Optiplex that old, but the other Dell computers I have seen of that vintage indeed did have jumpers of color Green or Black for BIOS "Dumping" purposes.
  • edited February 2008
    I reset the BIOS started it up it did the same thing went and installed windows on it and it starts up now how its supposed to, but before I reset the BIOS it wouldnt even let me into the setup for windows XP. Thanks for all the help.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited February 2008
    That is a very poorly worded sentence, but you're welcome I guess.
  • edited February 2008
    Im sry, I wasnt worried about my wording. :)