Prospective Team Member Guide

Comments

• TrevTrev California
    edited February 2007
    I just dont get how a computer knows how to find cures for things if it was that simple why dont we just let our computers find the cure for every disease out there...
    computers always get there info from somewhere some person so why dont we just find the person who put the info on the internet for cures and use that?
    computers arent humans they dont have the knowledge we do....
    they all get there info from someone
    some person.....

I would really like to join this thing but i just dont see how it would help...
    I really like helping people and all but... i dont know
    If anyone can give me some answers on how a computer can find out info better than humans i will download it
    I just need to understand it better
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2007
    Trev wrote:
    ...If anyone can give me some answers on how a computer can find out info better than humans i will download it...
    They don't find it "better", just much faster.

Suppose you wanted to find all the different combinations of cards you might get in a simple five card poker hand. You could figure it out on your own, but that might take you a while. A properly programmed computer could give you the answer almost instantaneously.

Folding at Home studies all the ways a protein can combine itself, much like the deal of a poker hand. The hitch is that there are quite a few more variables, meaning that it's a lot more complicated. Our computers run a simulation which mimics the way proteins Fold, then Stanford takes the data and analyzes it. Believe me, that part takes a lot of scientific human know-how.

The significance of computers in medical research is well documented. The catch here is that this program is so complex that even a supercomputer would take ages to gather all of the data required. The way we help is by using our personal computers to take on bite-sized chunks of the project, rapidly accelerating the process.

Are you a gamer? If so, ask yourself this: What kind of performance could you get if you had hundreds of thousands of computer processors and hundreds of thousands of video cards all working in an SLI type of setup? Pretty darn good, I'd say. :D
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    That poker analogy is a good one... Okay if I use that when I'm explaining it to my students?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    That poker analogy is a good one... Okay if I use that when I'm explaining it to my students?
    Send me ten bucks and it's all yours. :vimp:

Seriously though, feel free. I am quite flattered. :o
  • TrevTrev California
    edited February 2007
    ok I think i pretty much understant it now!
    its kind of like physics we have to find the formula to get the answers and then once we find the formula we plug it all into a calculator to do the work for us
    so we do all the hard part in finding the formulas and the calculators just make it easier and faster to find the answers!
    im probably way off... but hey atleast I kind of see how computers can help
    Im going to download it!
  • edited February 2008
    Trogan just helped me with a computer problem. I'm delighted to be able to fold. It's a great cause. Thanks again to all you guys!

Joseph
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Thank you littlejoe for joining folding! And welcome to Icrontic.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    littlejoe wrote:
    Trogan just helped me with a computer problem. I'm delighted to be able to fold. It's a great cause. Thanks again to all you guys!

Joseph
    Just about all of us are here because someone here helped us. Welcome to the family... :D
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited November 2008
    Hi, I just joined Team 93 :D
    My computer is on a fair amount of time but not all the time as its in my room and I dont like the noise or lights to sleep with.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Welcome revo! :fold:
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Whatever you can give, glad to have your efforts on board.
    edited November 2008
    Welcome to the funny farm we call Folding!!! :D
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited November 2008
    :D Thanks for the warm welcome guys :)
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I just started it up and joined! Not sure how much I will be able to help, but I figure when my computer is on, it's something to help with these cures!

:)
    edited November 2008
    Welcome Wags, and everything helps fight off the onslaught of other teams.
    edited November 2008
    Cheers Wags :D
    edited November 2008
    Every spare CPU cycle helps find cures.. :thumbsup:
  • edited February 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    What Folding@Home is: A Stanford University project to find out how proteins fold.

Geeez, I saw the messages of people going into the service..I am also a veteran and was in JAGC Corp in Germany. that sparked my interest and lots of hugs and wishes to those who are getting ready to go in.....feel lonely..drop aline i remember basic and AIT..and being in the service. thank you by the way !!!!! Its tough, its scary but its a life experience and gives you a sense of pride and honor in our country --the computer stuff??? oh you guys got me however, the Stanford project...I worte directed and produced two educational videos one titled "Programming the Dysfunctional Brain" I worked with brain injured children and adults for 12 years and also worked with a frequency generated device designed by NASA Stennis Space Center and also have used cell therapy straight from Germany - they work!!!!!! ok, I hope I did something right here to get on this board.......sorry had brain surgery myself a couple of years ago..xo
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Welcome to Icrontic, Patti :)
    edited February 2009
    Welcome Patti.... The Folding Family you've entered is like no other on the web. ;D
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Hi Patti:rockon::clap:

-Bobby
  • jokerz4funjokerz4fun Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Hello Patti
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Welcome aboard Patti.
  • kless001kless001 Midwest-USA Member
    edited March 2009
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    ^5, Kless. Welcome aboard! :D
    edited March 2009
    Welcome sir! :cheers2:
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Welcome and thanks for your contribution!
    edited March 2009
    Awesome :rockon:
  • rayrayrayray Phoenix, Az
    edited April 2009
    I just joined as rayrayisforever to team 93!
    edited April 2009
    sweet, see you on the boards soon.