My first Pilsner glass

2»

Comments

• ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    a bar serve a beer over ice...that is just insane and totally weird.
  • beatzbeatz i am a hamburger Member
    edited February 2008
    Hey, i attached some examples of how pilsner glasses are supposed to look like, at least here in Germany. It's called a "tulpe" (tulip), because of the shape.

Also, people like to drink their beverages at refreshing temperatures, especially beer. Recommended temperature is 7-9°.

Did a babelfish of a site which shows different types of beers and their proper types of glasses. Don't trust the fish though ;)
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    What I've heard, light, pale beers are to be served in thinner, lighter glasses, and dark beers are to be served in robust, heavy glasses as a rule of thumb..
  • Red-DawnRed-Dawn Been kidnapped and being held hostage in Edinburgh
    edited February 2008
    As a barman I've never heard of putting ice in beer, cider occasionally (although its a rule of thumb with me that cider comes with ice, just a personal preference I guess)

As for beer being served colder, over here in the UK we get quite a few brands of lager (Tennents, Carling, Carlsberg) that offer more than one version of their standard pint. Typically the lager itself and an ice cold version of it. All that means is that the beer is passed through a flash cooler usually located under the bar - this reduced the temperature of the beer by a few degrees C. The reason behind this and the reason many people prefer the ice cold version of some lagers is that the reduction in temperature actually partially numbs the tongues taste buds so u don't really taste the beer - perfect for crappy lagers i recon.

Dunno if you get this across the water
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Gate28 wrote:
    the correct me please?

You're thinking of liquer, not beer.
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited February 2008
    fatcat wrote:
    chilled glass

if you evar get ice cubes in ur beer, leave the bar immediately. That bar wasnt worth your $.

QFT right there.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Red Dawn wrote:
    The reason behind this and the reason many people prefer the ice cold version of some lagers is that the reduction in temperature actually partially numbs the tongues taste buds so u don't really taste the beer - perfect for crappy lagers i recon.

Ok...so I must admit I DO take my Natty Boh ice cold. :D
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    StainMeNow wrote:
    Ok...so I must admit I DO take my Natty Boh ice cold. :D

Is that even BEER? :tongue:
    edited February 2008
    Barely.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    GH KNOWS the bottom of the true pilsner glass... ;)
    edited February 2008
    Oh boy do I ever! :eek:
    edited February 2008
    You have to accept that some people are after beer for the numbing, refreshing bliss it can bring if something goes wrong or you fancy getting pissed. If it's cold it's to be refreshing, if they have it any old how it's to forget, and if they drink it at the correct temperature then they truly appreciate beer. Although I appreciate a well tasted beer can be refreshing, I am talking about the beer-belly brandishing football (soccer *sigh*) fans, or in the US's case (So I've heard) Nascar fans drinking themselves silly.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I like peanuts.
    edited February 2008
    Salted?
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited February 2008
    Harudath wrote:
    or in the US's case (So I've heard) Nascar fans drinking themselves silly.
    Nascar fans drink alcohol? Oh my! ;D I've been in the infield at Talladega and suspect I was one of very few people who were not consuming alcohol. It is quite a party though - titties and beer! :)

A large percentage of fans at most sporting events in the US drink themselves silly. ;)
    edited February 2008
    lol, well, I don't know how you americans are at sports events, I just heard Nascar was the worst :tongue:
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I was in okeechobee today at work and i drove past where Mud Fest was this last weekend, MAN their was TONS of empty beer cans and bottles on the ground U couldnt step without hitting one! sick pigs, I was glad I was there only to drive past to work
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Visit Ireland. Women and a lot of men drinks...tapped Bud or Carlsberg on the rocks. If they where out of ice, people put 1/4 of cold Sprite/7up in the pint instead. After 3 years i still couldn't believe what i saw at the pubs, but hey, each to their own.

You do not drink an English ale cooler than room remperature. Old speckled hen on the chill is unthinkable. It was made to be drinked piss luke.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    mmm Old Speckled Hen is good.
    edited February 2008
    I'm drinking a Three Philosophers right now...it's AMAZING.

In other news: I need to start a beer glass collection.
    edited February 2008
    Three Philosophers is a really good beer.
    edited February 2008
    Apple Juice tbh- cold preferably