Ankle pain

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited February 2008 in Fitness
Could someone direct me towards some good ankle workouts/stretches for ankle pain. I have a sharp pain in the left ankle which is the same exact pain I had throughout high school football and it's been good since then as I haven't been walking or running around like I used to when playing. It's gotta be due to my weight, but that's the point of my excercising which is going great and I don't wanna stop due to this pain which isn't severe or anything.

Comments

• LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited February 2008
    If it crept up after a workout or something its probably a sprain. If its a recurring long term soreness you might have tendonitis or something going. What exercises are you doing thats putting strain on your ankles?

I'd rotate your foot in circles both ways to stretch it out before lifting.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    LawnMM wrote:
    If it crept up after a workout or something its probably a sprain. If its a recurring long term soreness you might have tendonitis or something going. What exercises are you doing thats putting strain on your ankles?

I'd rotate your foot in circles both ways to stretch it out before lifting.

Well I generally don't think of it much even though it hasn't been a problem in years I had it for many years in school and never had anything happen. AFAIK I never sprained any joint or really ever harmed myself in anyway ankle or otherwise(was always putting the hurt on other people haha). Anyways, at work I generally do a lot of brisk walking, sometimes carrying ladders and stuff, standing around. I first noticed it after running the other day... so far I've been mostly doing the elliptical machine and some brisk walking on the treadmill and adding in some running here and there. But the other day I decided to go for gold and try running my heart out(not literally of course). The next day is when I felt it, and it's not bad but I think having to work 10 hours directly after that run and it was a harsh day I could barely stand I was so worn out.

I found this and am gonna give it a shot.
    http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/orthopedicsandpt/ss/anklerehab_2.htm
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    If it's high ankle on the outside those can take a long time to heal. I used to have a great deal of problems with my ankles, particularly my left and my Achilles tendon. I'm lucky it was something I grew out of.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited February 2008
    Sounds like a sprain dude. Especially if it popped up right after a run. I know you're tight on money but how are your running shoes? I used to have shin splints, sprained ankles, all kinds of stuff from running until I invested in a quality set of running shoes. I have a set of Brooks now that I use when I run and I've never had ankle pain or shin splints after going through the first pair and now I'm on my second.

Running beats the hell out of your feet and ankles bro, especially if yer running on pavement.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Medication is not always the answer; but maybe some Ibuprofen and acetaminophen might help. Not to push drugs- but Ibuproefen and acetaminophen work very well together.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    If it really is a sprain, though, let it heal before resuming heavy activity.