How did you find your way to Icrontic?

2»

Comments

• SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited February 2008
    I popped in to borrow a cup of sugar about 2 years back and Leo locked the door behind Me . heelp ...not
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA
    edited February 2008
    keith's article on taking apart the original xbox in 02....

pseudo and I found the site within days of each other and told it to each other one day at school....

we were special like that....

Off topic...anyone ever find out the resolution of what happened to keith?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2008
    It's been so long I no longer remember. I think I was just on the internet and one day the site sprung up around me.
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit
    edited February 2008
    Shorty wrote:
    Err yeah, check my userID for a clue... :D
    Dude, you joined original Icrontic about the same damn time I did :rolleyes: :p

dodo and Radeon_Man (now JB) in 2001 were like "hey, we'll help you build a computer... and here's this cool site, check it out"

...and then I was like, "sweet, I wish I owned that". :ninja:
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit
    edited February 2008
    I remember sometime after that I was thought to be a shill.
    Wait, you're not? ;) Srsly though, you had a second account AND REPLIED TO YOURSELF. :wtf: What would you think was going on? :p
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA
    edited February 2008
    It took a lot of convincing from Keebler to get me to show up. I'm really only here for the beerz.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida
    edited February 2008
    StainMeNow wrote:
    It took a lot of convincing from Keebler to get me to show up. I'm really only here for the beerz.

...and the WoW.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida
    edited February 2008
    McBain wrote:
    keith's article on taking apart the original xbox in 02....

pseudo and I found the site within days of each other and told it to each other one day at school....

we were special like that....

Off topic...anyone ever find out the resolution of what happened to keith?

I think that's the same thing that got me to Icrontic. Or something related to the XBox. I stumbled upon it through a search. I never left. Trekky8472. Heh.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain
    edited February 2008
    I don't remember what I was looking for, but it was googling for one of my numerous PC troubles :P My noisy case fan I think it was
  • WingaWinga South Africa
    edited February 2008
    I followed a Google link for a spyware problem I picked up.
    After reading an article Prime wrote on common sense ways to avoid spyware and keep your PC safe I'm happy to say I have never had a serious infection again.

I had never before been on a forum and it was really overwhelming. The people on here were great and still are the best around.
    Icrontic ROCKS..:Rocker:
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited February 2008
    I tripped over ShortMedia while researching video cards in October 2003.. found a great 9800 bios flash guide by SimGuy.. bought and flashed a new 9800np to pro (I still have that card) and thus began my addiction to all things custom hardware. Shortmedia/Icrontic has been the one constant in almost 5 years and I owe a great deal to Shorty and Prime.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf-
    edited February 2008
    I was having Motherboard trouble and GH referred me to Icrontic, but told me that I'd have to wait a bit because it had gone down for some reason, and hadn't come back up yet. Sometime later, he sent me a link to Short-Media instead, telling me that it was the same people with a new name.

Incidentally, I didn't learn anything of the story about what actually happened with the site during that time until the IRC channel was established almost 5 years later.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri
    edited February 2008
    Park_7677 and AuthorityAction are responsible for my introduction to the site. I remember catching "glimpses" of the site from behind their backs. (By glimpses I mean a picture of Straight_Man which my friends and I found interesting) That was before Short-Media.

Afterwards I formally joined Short-Media the Spring before the switch back to Icrontic, and got to play with a lot of the members on TF2. My first post I believe was trying to help a fellow victim of the Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe only to realize my limited success with the board hardly qualified me as an expert ;).
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited February 2008
    Keebler wrote:
    dodo and Radeon_Man (now JB) in 2001 were like "hey, we'll help you build a computer... and here's this cool site, check it out"

That's just because I wanted an excuse to buy something at the computer show ...I was (am) nerdy like that:D
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida
    edited February 2008
    I came across Short-Media in '04 looking for a fix for an ATi video card issue... or something to do with my monitor, can't remember. I never left. The people here are awesome, always willing to help and just cool to chat with. EDIT: And smart! Too smart sometimes... :aol:

<3
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited February 2008
    Found Short-Media from Google. Got hooked and stayed.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth
    edited February 2008
    Prime stalked me until I joined- luckily, since then he's stopped....wait....****. PRIME IS OUTSIDE MY WINDOW AGAIN

Goddamnit Prime.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh
    edited February 2008
    A friend of the family who is now in college stumbled on the place and she said that she thought there might be enough old men there that I might fit in.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA
    edited February 2008
    Qeldroma wrote:
    A friend of the family who is now in college stumbled on the place and she said that she thought there might be enough old men there that I might fit in.
    Naw.. you joined to look for another "Q".;D
  • edited February 2008
    VIA TK133a FAQs brought me to Icrontic. Hated that motherboard.
  • edited February 2008
    My introduction was the series of articles on A64 overclocking - a step by step guide and some tools and theory to boot. Led me on the dubious trail of overclocking madness with my old sempron in a DFI LanParty board (still works at some ridiculous overclock ;) ) Though i'd register to show my appreciation and here I still am :D Still enjoying it too ;) Learnt a lot about overclocking that I will never forget ... talk about invaluable life skills :rolleyes:
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio
    edited February 2008
    The Deal Depot and Trading Post while looking for a low end graphics card replacement for a server
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana
    edited February 2008
    I kept stumbling upon Icrontic when I was building dads first Abit KT7 Socket A. There was an extruded heatsink that I read a review on over here that kept me coming back. Also the OP, MrIcee, & ddtung OC adventures.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA
    edited February 2008
    I came across the site in the Short-media days, but just for a few fixes or whatever, don't remember specifically..

Then Hitman and Kingpin (My UPS clanmates) start playing on the IC server in TF2. They tell me how awesome it is and how I NEEDED to play with these guys. I was reluctant, I was trying to keep from making TOO many friends on Steam. Plus the server was full the first night. Hitman did some talking and got a mod to free up 2 or 3 or 6 or 12 slots for the rest of us UPS players, and holy crap, it was awesome. Here was a bunch of TF2 players that had the same idea that UPS does - simply having fun and not giving a care about the semantics of clan play in games. We kept coming back for more, making the IC server our unofficial home server.

After so much interaction and hearing about the servers, I finally made the jump and registered. I don't regret doing that, it's one of the best online communities I've ever seen.