Beer Review: Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale

fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
edited February 2008 in Food & Drink
[h2]History[/h2]

Year Began: Unknown. Blue Moon began in 1995.<br>
Annual Production: N/A (“We produce Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale in limited amounts, in bottles only, and once it’s made, that’s what we have.”- Steve Medina of Blue Moon.<br>

Finding history on this particular variety of beer was not easy, probably due to its limited production. It is made by the Molson Coors Brewing Company. Since I will be doing a Blue Moon Belgian White Ale review latter on, I will not go into Blue Moon’s history here.

[figure]pumpale2.jpg[/figure]

[h2]The Beer[/h2]

Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale(HMPA) has 5.6% ABV. HMPA is typically available in bottles from mid-September through December. Finding any other information has proved difficult, as even their website doesn’t state much more than the info found on the label of the beer.

[h2]The Look, the Smell and Taste[/h2]

The Look Copper-orange. Slightly darker than the Samual Adams Boston Lager. Pouring the beer down the middle of the glass created a nice head. It looked like a great beer ;)

The Smell So I’ve poured the HMPA into the glass, and put my nose over the glass and breath in deeply…I smell no pumpkin! I smell cloves and a hint of nutmeg, along with the other normal beer aroma, but no pumpkin! Perhaps it's hidden in the taste?

The Taste I take a nice swig and still no pumpkin flavor! Did I get a bad batch? Time to take a closer look at the bottle. On the front label it states; “This amber-colored, naturally flavored ale is brewed only in autumn & combines the flavor of vine-ripened pumpkin & spices with traditional crystal malt.” So, where is my pumpkin‽ I take another taste; it has a very pronounced clove flavor and I can taste a hint of nutmeg... But no pumpkin. So I take a look at the back of the label, and find the answer: “With its clove, nutmeg and allspice flavors, this amber-colored ale is perfect for fall’s crisp, clear days. Serve this hearty brew with all your autumn meals.” NO PUMPKIN!

[figure]pumpale1.jpg[/figure]

[h2]Summary[/h2]

Besides the unhappiness I felt with the lack of pumpkin, HMPA is a very decent beer. Once I got over that, I enjoyed the beer very much. I have had several now, and it's up there for top choices amongst beers I have had over my life. As long as you are aware that you will not be getting any pumpkin in this ale, HMPA is a very fine choice for a cool autumn night!

I give Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale 2 1/2 out of 5 beer mugs. (You could’ve had 3 1/2 out of 5 beer mugs Blue Moon if you had just added the one thing I’ve said 100 times! Otherwise it is a good ale!)

Comments

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I have tried the harvest moon stuff, I prefer regular good Ole Blue Moon.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Ditto.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    yes, out of the Blue Moon, Blue Moon Winter Ale, and Harvest Moon I rate them

Blue Moon>Winter Ale>Harvest Moon
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I heartily agree.