Edit please?

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX
edited February 2008 in The Pub
Delta Tau Delta was founded at Bethany College. Eight undergraduates, angered by a fixed vote for a prize in oratory to be given at the Neotrophian Literary Society; the only real forum for students to practice and demonstrate skills in poetry, public speaking, and writing essays respond by forming a secret society. The purpose of the new society, known only by the Greek letters Delta Tau Delta, is to see that the Neotrophian is returned to popular control and delivered from the hands of the group of students who seized it. The Fraternity was founded to right an unjust situation. Delta Tau Delta was born of the knowledge that integrity is essential. Its eight founders were outraged that one group of students would and could choose in advance the candidate they favored, and then join together to swing enough votes for that man to win, regardless of his actual performance in the contest, presented the first opportunity for Delts to realize the importance of accountability.

Ok. I got this from another chapter's website. I've tried fixing it a little bit, but I can't find a place to punctuate these run on sentences so that it reads easier. Right now I run out of air trying to read it and I'm by no means an English major. If someone wouldn't mind helping me out it would be very appreciated. Just keep the information intact, but make it readable.

Comments

• NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan
    edited February 2008
    Second sentence makes me go eww!
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX
    edited February 2008
    Yeh, I know. I'm not sure how this made it onto the internet, but the writing is absolutely horrendous. I'm fairly decent at correcting grammar and the such, but each time I tried something else broke..
  • Red-DawnRed-Dawn Been kidnapped and being held hostage in Edinburgh
    edited February 2008
    "Delta Tau Delta was founded at Bethany College by eight undergraduates, angered by a fixed vote for a prize in oratory given out at the Neotrophian Literary Society. This new society Delta Tau Delta was formed as the only real forum for students to practice and demonstrate their skills in poetry, public speaking, and writing essays. The purpose of this new society was to see that the Neotrophian is returned to popular control and delivered from the hands of the group of students who seized it. The Fraternity was founded to right an unjust situation. Delta Tau Delta was born of the knowledge that integrity is essential, Its eight founding members were outraged that one group of students would and could choose in advance the candidate they favored to win. Regardless of his actual performance in the contest, this opertunity offered members the first chance to elect someone based on the importance of acountability"

I'll admit i'm fairly drunk atm but its the best i can do. i'm sure someone else will do better
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell
    edited February 2008
    It seems entirely backwards and awkward. That second sentence reads like I'm being told to go back to Vietnam for a second tour of duty.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL
    edited February 2008
    I modified it a bit and added a bit gained from some internet research. How does this sound?

Delta Tau Delta Fraternity was founded in 1858 at Bethany College in Bethany, Virginia (now West Virginia). The social life on campus was typical of the small colleges of the day, with activities centered on the Neotrophian Society, a literary society. Delta Tau Delta’s eight founders were outraged that one group of students would choose in advance the candidate they favored, and then join together to swing enough votes for that man to win, regardless of his actual performance in the contest

According to a report by co-founder Jacob S. Lowe written in 1859, in late 1858 a group of students met in Lowe's room in the Dowdell boarding house to discuss means to regain control of the Neotrophian Society and return control to the students at large. A constitution, name, badge, ritual and motto were devised, and Delta Tau Delta was born.

These values of integrity and accountability were reflected in the stated mission of the society that still lives on today: "Committed to Lives of Excellence", while the stated values are:

"Truth, courage, faith and power are our foundation, integrity is essential, accountability is fundamental to all commitments, life-long learning and growth are vital, strengthening community is essential to our vitality, (and) brotherhood sustains us"
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2008
    btw, do you know who those students were that angered them?....or rather which "group" was it that angered the founders of DTD?
    edited February 2008
    tmh88 wrote:
    btw, do you know who those students were that angered them?....or rather which "group" was it that angered the founders of DTD?

no, I don't. The only people we learned about were the founders.
    edited February 2008
    haha ask your brothers if they know...or anyone associated with the fraternity
    edited February 2008
    Why is that? I doubt they do. It isn't in my pledge manual. Just the group is listed, not any names or affiliations.
    edited February 2008
    I'll just say its another fraternity that did that.
    edited February 2008
    I figured as much from your insinuations.

The only fraternity at Bethany listed as being founded during that time is Beta, which was in 1860. Care to fill me in with a story, or are you going to be a cock tease?:D
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited February 2008
    Delta Tau Delta

William Blake was known to have problem with the punctuations.

To see the world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wild flower,
    hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour.
    edited February 2008
    Well, actually it was 2 secret groups...which are named in the original documents of DTD fraternity. So if you can find those documents you're in luck!

read first paragraph of history
    http://halfvalue.com/wiki.jsp?topic=Delta_Tau_Delta

btw it can be found on the internet. I googled it and found the answer(btw I didnt enter the name of the "secret" group). just use the right words
    edited February 2008
    Well, I can't find it. My googling skills must be lacking. Care to send me a link?
    edited February 2008
    http://savant7.com/greekcrests/frat-12.htm left side near the bottom
    edited February 2008
    Would <s>phi gamma delta</s> fiji be the other one since they were one in the same in a sense? Are you a delt, or did you just look this stuff up on your own? I've read quite a bit on our founding because I thought it was interesting that we were founded on the basis on righting a bad situation with a secret conspiracy.
    edited February 2008
    I'm not sure where you got fiji from, but read a little closer. It says something about a "secret group," and then tells who it is. Its on the very bottom of the left side.

http://savant7.com/greekcrests/frat-12.htm
    -check it again. I'm in the fraternity that supposidly did that. That was a long time ago so I can't say much about it lol.
    edited February 2008
    It was phi kappa psi, but phi kappa psi and phi gamma delta are the Jefferson duo.
    edited February 2008
    Ohh my bad i read your post wrong. I thought you meant Fiji was the only one. Anyway I'm a phi psi...so are we enemies or something? lol

Theyre called the jefferson duo because they were founded at jefferson college around the same time (fiji 1848, phi psi 1852). Other than that I'm not sure about any relationship between the two. I
    edited February 2008
    Nah, we can be buds still ;) There isn't even a phi psi chapter here. Around here it's the kappa sigs and the fiji's that we don't get along with. The kappa sigs because they tore the name off of our house 3 years ago and they've broken into our house and stolen our flag two or three times this year. But we haven't gotten into any tiffs with the lately. The fiji's are just fun to mess with because they are the stereotypical frat boy around here. They think they're better than everybody.

At any rate. The history of how these organizations came about really interests me. I've searched the New York Times database and found quite a number of articles, but It's always the candy coated truth with missing details. Like the two fraternities that were responsible for our creation. Those have been edited out of wikipedia and even out of my pledge book. Probably in an effort to keep the unneeded rivalry from happening, but still. I think it's important to have the history of the organizations available.
    edited February 2008
    My fraternity, Phi Kappa Psi has a pretty interesting history. The two founders created the fraternity after helping people at their college when a disease basically plagued it. They decided to create a fraternity based on "the great joy of serving others," and phi kappa psi was born.

I dont know too much about the delts here, other than their house is currently being renovated and they're living in the old Phi Mu house.
    edited February 2008
    Yeh, that's cool. Our house needs renovating, but we are only at half capacity right now. It's hard to be financially viable with only half the income. Not to mention our alumni support is far and in between.