THE (final) SHORT-MEDIA LAN #1 THREAD

Comments

• DOSMANDOSMAN Grand Rapids, MI
    edited October 2003
    Yeah. And I think I know whoever else Lei is going with. Maybe I could pull this off.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2003
    I may have missed something in the thread, but besides the $20 for the registration, how much do I need to send? Like for the food and all? I'll be sure to find a napkin around here to wrap my money in to, haha
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Once I have all 40 spots filled up, (4 left!) I'll switch all discussions to a mailing list format.
    edited October 2003
    BUMP! We still have four spots to fill, folks! Come on sign up for the once-in-a-lifetime chance to meet all your short-media buddies!

4 more spots!
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Yea And ill be sure to bring the box so everyone can look shorty eye to eye!
    edited October 2003
    alright alright, the shorty bashing went out of style like a month ago..... :rolleyes:
    edited October 2003
    ahh you should ask him to see the IM convo from yesterday plenty of bashing between us all in good humor tho! then we had a slight turn of bashing towards a certain SUSPECT * wink * wink
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    alright prime, I'm almost ready to make a commitment, after a few questions:

Whats the nearest airport to your facility? Can someone pick me up?

Should I come the 8th or ON the 9th?

Can I have some parts shipped directly to your office?

Would you have a case/PS you'd be willing to let me borrow for a few days?

Would I have any problems bringing my harddrive and my camcorder/tapes on an airplane? (keeping in mind harddrives and Digital8 tapes are magnetically sensitive, IE XRAY warning, right?)

Any other air travel tips with computer equipment would be helpful, I'm a newb, only been on an airplane once.

Price Line is showing a 0 stop flight from Manchester, NH to Detroit via (DTW) Detroit - Wayne County - Detroit, MI airport is the cheapest at $282 round trip. small price to pay to meet all my short media pals
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    I have a 17" Trinitron I can bring up the Lan Party. If anyone wants to used that say so and I will bring it.

The only problem is that the screen guys out if it gets bumped to hard. Then you have to turn it off then back on. Still good tho.
    edited October 2003
    I would love you to bring that extra monitor so i didnt have to lug my 19 Hitachi! in my truck PLEASE!!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    It's in a truck. You're not lugging it anywhere. ;D
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Um, shaken monitors tend to need reaiming sometimes afterward. So, we will foam pad such things or wrap them in a quilt each (3-4 layers of quilt all around or 1" thick foam all around or ditto of bubble wrap, HD mfrs used to UPS stuff, and about 2" all around was needed for older Hds that were less shock resistant than newer ones but about as likely to get damaged as monitors back then in late 80's) foam and then double garbage bag them and use packaging tape to seal well.

John.

Marc, please bring the monitor. One of us driving up might need it, so a spare on site is very good-- odds of one getting damaged slightly with 40 people bringing monitors is higher than just two driving up, but with 40 a spare to replace one in 40 if needed would be prudent and welcome-- BOTH.

John.
    edited October 2003
    Camman said
    Alright prime, I'm almost ready to make a commitment, after a few questions:

Whats the nearest airport to your facility? Can someone pick me up?

Detroit City Airport is the very closest - it's about 2 miles away. Detroit Metro is about 20 miles away, but I'll be picking people up from there anyway, so either one doesn't matter. Yes, you will be picked up.
    Should I come the 8th or ON the 9th?
    Probably better to come on the 8th if you want to help set up or at least just be there for the very beginning. If you come on the 9th, who knows what time you'll be able to get started.
    Can I have some parts shipped directly to your office?

Absolutely yes. No problem at all. The more we have set up before the thing starts, the better.
    Would you have a case/PS you'd be willing to let me borrow for a few days?
    i don't think so. I only have one spare right now and I'm gonna put a computer into it for a spare for the lan. Some of our international friends are gonna be using the spares.
    Would I have any problems bringing my harddrive and my camcorder/tapes on an airplane? (keeping in mind harddrives and Digital8 tapes are magnetically sensitive, IE XRAY warning, right?)

Any other air travel tips with computer equipment would be helpful, I'm a newb, only been on an airplane once
    Me too, somebody else should answer this one. I have no idea.
    Price Line is showing a 0 stop flight from Manchester, NH to Detroit via (DTW) Detroit - Wayne County - Detroit, MI airport is the cheapest at $282 round trip. small price to pay to meet all my short media pals

DTW is detroit city airport. Woohoo! 2 miles away!
    edited October 2003
    Hey JOHN I just remembered i have a truck Cap for the back of my ranger so we wont have to stuff everything behind the seat in the king cab! So it will be like this . Comp boxes behind the saet everything else that doesnt matter like clothes and food will go in the truck bed under the cap!
    edited October 2003
    Ok so someone can still claim my 17" Sony. Its better to get it squared away so that 2 people dont want the same monitor and one ends up with nothing to use.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd
    claims it!
    Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    claims it!
    edited October 2003
    You are not putting it in the back of your truck?
    edited October 2003
    heck no! a monitor in hte back of my truck in detroin in JANuary? plus if i hit a bump its screwed! If i put it in the back it be frozen
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Camman had this to say
    AFAIK the HDD shouldn't be a problem cause look at all the people that take laptops on buisness trips and stuff.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    yeah i think when they scan your luggage, they ask u to take out those sensitive stuff first anyways, like hdd, laptops, and those kind of stuff.
  • edited October 2003
    Hey Prime, will there be room for everyone driving to park their cars by your office?
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    TheSmJ said
    Hey Prime, will there be room for everyone driving to park their cars by your office?

good Q
    edited October 2003
    I'm pretty sure that parking won't be a problem...
    edited October 2003
    I think I remember something being said about a gated parking lot?
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited October 2003
    Prime....hate to burst your bubble. DTW is metro. I live like 5 minutes away tho, so if someone needs a lift....I'd be happy to oblige.

Also....any of the big wigs wanna throw up a spare parts list....something that maybe we can see whos got extra monitors, cases, ps's, stuff like that and have people claim it.
    edited October 2003
    my bubble hath been bursted
  • edited November 2003
    I would bring spare parts, but all I really have spare is a few crappy PSUs. I have a $hitty ATX case sitting around, but A: It's small, and B: It's a complete POS...

I guess someone could use it if they wanted, but they'd be better off mouning their mobo in a cardboard box...
  • Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
    edited November 2003
    TheSmJ had this to say
    I guess someone could use it if they wanted, but they'd be better off mouning their mobo in a cardboard box...

Actually I would recommend wood. It is much more sturdy and at least then you computer won't flop in half or catch on fire when the action heats up.

But i guess cardboard does have its advantages. I mean, then you could then fold your computer in half for the trip to save space.

Well, I guess its all up to actual user to weigh the pros and cons of wood or cardboard case to fit there personal needs.

If anyone decides to go the wood path for a case, let me know, I am experienced in this area and am willing to help anyone in need. :p
    edited November 2003
    I have one on top of the desk where my main computer is. I had 2 of them like that for awhile.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    well, I'm gonna have to make my FINAL decision very soon or Prime is gonna kick me in the ass. If I book the flight soon, it's a nonstop roundtrip from Manchester to DTW Detroit for like $280, not too bad. I have a sweet Gigabyte KT300 mobo, a 30gb Western Digital HDD and a Radeon 9000 Pro 64mb I can ship to the offices then all I would need is a power supply and I can just order a cheap one and have it shipped there.

Is there anyone coming locally who has an extra monitor kicking around that they would let me borrow? I really dont feel like shipping a monitor to Detroit....would cost big bucks. This is really the only thing I need, right? Mobo, Video Card, Harddrive, P/S, Memory....trying to think of anything else.... well if anyone would be willing to let me use an extra monitor that would be too much of a hassle to bring along, I would be indebted to you forever...lemme know.