Strange random click...

revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
edited March 2008 in Hardware
recently my computer has been making random click noises, the same sound as when you click a link or open a file, it just does it at random intervals and i have no idea why.
im sure im clean of any malware and im sure that many people will just tell me to turn the sound off but i would like to know why its making this noise.

thanks

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    It could be the hard drive in early stages of failure. I would recommend immediately backing up all data from the drive that is important to. After that, run your hard drive's diagnostic software to check for fitness. Sorry, I don't remember the name of Seagate's software.

You stated the computer is making the clicking noises, so I must assume these sounds are not coming from the speakers. If speakers, then disregard what I wrote above.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited February 2008
    ohh, they definatly are from the speakers...
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    scratch what I said about the hard drive - a hard drive 'click' would not come through the speakers

You might consider completely uninstalling your sound drivers (sound device drivers) and reinstalling.
    edited February 2008
    Well, its a very irregular click, no timing what so ever, somthimes it wont happen all week, then suddenly "click". It doesnt bother me to muchy but i just wanted to know what it actually was. Never mind, ill just turn off the sound.

Thanks for the suggestion, ill do that if i start to miss that infamous click...
  • Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
    edited February 2008
    Before you do anything drastic, go to your list of sounds in - Control Panel/Sounds & Audio Devices/Sounds. Highlight each one to see which ones have that sound allocated to it. It could be "Recieve Email" or something weird like that has been changed to this click sound by accident. It's worth a shot.........
    edited February 2008
    Yep, tried that, the sound is just allocated to start navigation and the sound it windows xp start.

It makes the same noise randomly even if im not using the computer and its not doing anything...

Its strange...
  • Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
    edited February 2008
    The sound for "Start Navigation" is turned off by default, so try switching the sound to (none). That should solve your problem, otherwise it has to be allocated to another process in that list.
    edited February 2008
    nope, the sound is only allocated to start navagation. ive turned it off and its seems fine now. thanks for your help
  • edited February 2008
    Did you have any internet browsers open while the sound was being made? I've found that some pages, especially those with rotating advertisements, will sometimes cause that click sound when it loads new info.
    edited March 2008
    nope, the clikc will happen even after a frsh reboot. nothing open. ive disbled the sound and its all fine now... thanks
  • edited March 2008
    Just out of curiosity, what do you have in your startup folder and msconfig startup?

Obviously disabling the sound in the control panel will keep it from sounding, but I'm curious about what may be causing it since whatever caused it is still there.
  • greemangreeman Tennessee New
    edited March 2008
    revorocks wrote:
    recently my computer has been making random click noises, the same sound as when you click a link or open a file, it just does it at random intervals and i have no idea why.
    im sure im clean of any malware and im sure that many people will just tell me to turn the sound off but i would like to know why its making this noise.

thanks

I recently had the same problem and after a lot of research learne that I had a trojan virus (forget the name of it now). I verified it through task manager (it was a running process). I downloaded Superantispyware from http://www.superantispyware.com/ and it deleted the trojan for me and I haven't had any futher problems. Adaware, Spybot and AVG did not find this trojan (which suprised me). The clicking sounded like I was changing pages on my browser. Hope this helps.
    edited March 2008
    well, ive scanned, and i definatly know im 100% maleware free thanks to panda...

erm in my startup list is all full of normalstuff like my antivirus componants and nvidia tray tools, java etc. there is one thing which im unsure about. its just blank. no name or command. What could it be?
  • greemangreeman Tennessee New
    edited March 2008
    Run task manager and check to see if prefetch.sys or/or ANDT.sys are running processes. If they are then you do have a trojan virus.
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited March 2008
    I had that problem with my speakers it ended up being my cell phone causing it.
    Intermittently clicking from the speakers no rhyme or reason.

The speakers were not magnetically shielded speakers.
    I got magnetically shielded speakers and no more clicking.
    It would only do it if the phone was near the computer.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    You have a GSM ("EDGE" or HSPDA) phone.