Firefox 3 beta 4

edited June 2008 in Internet & Media
Firefox 3 Beta 4 is going to be out on the 7th of this month, to the general public.

Until the full release to the public of Beta 4 I would recommend staying with Beta 3, cause it works much better right now.

Im using the full public release of Beta 3

and using the private almost full-release of beta 4

and also using a Beta 5 pre-release.

I'm a beta tester for Mozilla FireFox 3 :)

Sniper

PS) FireFox is adding some major performance boosters for the full release of Beta 4

Comments

• HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Sounds good :D
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Was Firefox actually in need of a performance boost? It runs fast on my systems; just as fast if not faster than Opera, IE7, and IE6. Actually the only browser that I have found to be faster than Firefox is the 64-bit IE7 and it only STARTS faster, general operation is the same as FF. I know people complain about "memory leaks" in FF, but I generally have 15+ tabs open so consuming ~175MB doesn't seem to be excessive especially since I have several extensions loaded.

Anyway, progress is great, but whatever. Enjoy your Beta testing.
  • edited March 2008
    I will, gives me a little extra to do :) Lots of memory leaks are being fixed.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2008
    The big news is that they've drastically improved the java interpreter. That's where some of the largest speed gains are.
  • edited March 2008
    I dont remember exactly, which one it is nor can I find that info right now, there website is kinda of confusing its got so much info on it.
  • edited March 2008
    Do animated GIF images still bog it down? I visit a lot of message boards where people use animated signature/avatar images and they cause Firefox to slow to a snail's pace.
  • edited March 2008
    Tell me a website that has that type of stuff on it and Ill check into it for you :)
  • edited March 2008
    I found this one website that has some GIF video files on it that you click them and it takes you to a page where they play, if thats what your talking about they seem to work great.
  • edited March 2008
    Well, normally a page like this would ( http://forum.screwattack.com/viewtopic.php?t=23217 ), especially down at Evil Monkey's post where he has two animated GIF images in his sig. However, I suppose the cosmos are in my favor tonight because my CPU level is staying low instead of shooting up to 100% and bogging down the whole system like it usually does...
  • edited March 2008
    Nope doesnt seem to and the main FF Im using is beta 3 because until the full public release Beta 4 wont quite be up to par with everything.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    mas0n wrote:
    Was Firefox actually in need of a performance boost?
    Well, every browser always needs performance gains :D However, Safari has been claiming to wipe the floor with all the other browsers in speed, so I think it's a good thing to focus on.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Keebler wrote:
    Well, every browser always needs performance gains :D However, Safari has been claiming to wipe the floor with all the other browsers in speed, so I think it's a good thing to focus on.
    Yeah, because Apple won't release some of the code that allows browsers to interact with the inner workings of the OS like Safari has access to. Sounds like Microsoft-like tactics.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Keebler wrote:

I agree that performance gains are great and I'm glad a freely available browser has such good support. I have just been hearing a lot recently about how badly FF needed some improvments while personally I haven't had any issues with it.
  • edited March 2008
    I have been using FF since A little before the Beginning of FF2 and I love it. :D
  • edited March 2008
    Beta 4 didnt come out on the seventh they didnt have everything completed that they needed done.
  • edited March 2008
    Beta 4 is out today :)
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited March 2008
    I love FF. Been using Mozilla since m3 or m4, I think. Switched to Phoenix just before the name change to FireBird and subsequently FireFox. Only gripe I have about FF is the memory it footprint. FF normally eats between 350-500MB of RAM (doesn't help I normally have around 10-12 FF windows open, with each of those normally having no fewer than half a dozen tabs each). I have had it eat over 1GB before, but that's rare. Once FF gets over 500-600MB it seems sluggish. Right now my FF is using 443,000+ K according to Task Manager.
  • edited March 2008
    I have 8 windows open and am only using 65,000+ K
    I'm now using FF3 Beta 4
  • edited May 2008
    Release Candidate 2 is coming out in 5 days.

Then the Final Product :D
  • edited June 2008
    Finally the release version of Firefox 3 is coming out tomorrow
  • edited June 2008
    Woot!!

I'll be upgrading as soon as I can!!