My Build - Ordered it Yesterday

edited August 2008 in Hardware
KB SAITEK | ECLIPSE KEYBOARD PZ30AU - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$39.99)

PSU XCLIO|STABLEPOWER 500W RT - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$61.99)

MEM 2Gx2 | PAT DII800 PDC24G6400ELK R - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$93.99)

CPU INTEL | C2D E4500 2.2G 65N 2M R - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$124.99)

MB GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L P35+ICH9 - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$89.99)

CASE XION | XON-303 BK/BL RT - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$69.99)

VGA MSI N9600GT 512M OC RT - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$184.99)

HD 250G | HITC 7K 8M HDP725025GLA380 - OEM (Qty=1, Price=$61.99)

MNTR ACER | LCD 19" 5MS DVI X193W+BD - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$159.99)

DVD BURN PHILIPS | SPD2513BD SATA 20X - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$28.99)

WL ADAPT ZONET l ZEW1602 11B/G 54M R - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$13.99)

The CPU comes with a Thermal Paste, Right? If it doesnt then I'll just buy some up here. After Mail In rebates this build costs about $1050.
Sniper

Comments

• mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    The CPU is retail boxed so paste will be pre-applied to the heatsink but it will be of mediocre quality.
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited March 2008
    I recommend Arctic Silver for the thermal paste.
  • edited March 2008
    Ill have to look into getting some other thermal paste up here, Ill call computer renaissance and see what they have.
  • edited March 2008
    Has anyone heard of Light Freeze Thermal Grease? Thats what Computer Renaissance has up here in the valley.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    MBG - If you could make it to Eagle River sometime this weekend, I can GIVE you a bottle of Zalman's or a syringe of Arctic Silver 3 that are just taking up space in my heatsink/fan kit box. I've got quite a collection that I'd need 35 computers to consume it all.

I sent you a PM, bud.
  • edited March 2008
    The psu is unknown to me as to build quality. The E4500 should be fun to play with, good choice. The mobo I also own and it's a keeper for the price, another good choice. The vid card should also do you well, from the reviews I've read on the 9600GT and not too far behind the 8800GT 512 in performance.

Later on you might want to invest in a better hsf if you plan to overclock much past 3 GHz though as the hsf that comes with it isn't a stellar choice for overclocking. Also, the E4xxx series C2D's run a bit hotter than the E6xxx series but nothing too bad.
    edited March 2008
    Later on you might want to invest in a better hsf if you plan to overclock much past 3 GHz though as the hsf that comes with it isn't a stellar choice for overclocking. Also, the E4xxx series C2D's run a bit hotter than the E6xxx series but nothing too bad.
    Well, MBG, I also happen to have a spare Zalman 9700 Socket 775 heatsink! It's not free, though. It's not quite up in the same performance category as the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, but it's a very effective heatsink.

Hey, let me know about that thermal paste. I'd be glad to give you some. Need any fans or cables? I'm swimming in them. Wouldn't mind giving some to you if you need them.
  • edited March 2008
    Im not sure if I need cables I was on the newegg tech site and they helped me come up with this list of parts. They also told me that most of the parts come with their cables. I'll see if I need any cables. The parts are supposed to be here this evening before 4:30PM

Leo, you can call me Sniper the MBG just stands for my Battlefield clan :)
    And I sent you a reply to your PM.

As to the HSF I think for now I'll stick with the stock one as I dont plan on OC'ing this computer, might OC my next computer. Also I don't know how to OC. :D
  • edited March 2008
    It's actually pretty simple to do with that Gigabyte board. The manual can help out there a little bit if you get the urge. And we can help you out too. :)
  • edited March 2008
    I'll have to think about it, I dont want to mess up the computer my mom wants to use :), I'll probably be using it while shes at work :D
  • edited March 2008
    The case I got has 2 120MM fans (1 in front and 1 in back) And 1 140mm side fan.
  • edited March 2008
    Empty Case
    6622505028.jpg

CD/DVD Burner Drive and HD Put in.
    6622505095.jpg

Front of Case Picture
    6622505060.jpg

Power Supply Put in
    6622505033.jpg
  • edited March 2008
    Can I test the Power Supply by just plugging it into the wall and turning it on?
  • edited March 2008
    Yes, but you will have to jump the green wire on the ATX plug to a black on it. And have you some kind of load on it too, like a couple of fans or dvd drive.
  • edited March 2008
    Jumpit on the 20 pin one right? Not the 4 pin?
  • edited March 2008
    6917203484.jpg

6917203414.jpg

And how would you go about jumping them?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Paperclip bent into a "U" shape, wrapped in tape at the curved end.
  • edited March 2008
    Ya I should have came back on and said something but I already figured that out by searching on the internet :) Im not totally helpless, lol.

The powersupply works and the three fans and I heard the CD/DVD Burner drive go beep when I turned on the PSU
  • edited March 2008
    As soon as I get the thermal paste from Leo which it should be here as soon as the mailman drops off our mail, (hurry up slow mailman) :) I will be able to finish putting the computer together. He seems to be getting here later and later.
    edited March 2008
    Hey, Sniper, I mailed it yesterday at about 1:00. It's only 25 miles, so hopefully...

Did you read up yet on how to install Arctic Silver? It makes a big difference how you apply it. The Zalman paste though, is really easy. Just paint on a thin layer on the CPU heatshield AND on the CPU base. Later on, if you think you want to overclock, in addition to upgrading the CPU heatsink, you'll also want to use premium thermal paste, such as Tuniq TX-2, OCZ Freeze, Arctic Cooling MX-2, or Arctic Silver 5.

BTW, the stock cooler that's bundled with your C2D CPU already has thermal interface material (TIM) on it. It is adequate for what you will be doing. Were it me, I'd still strip it off and put better stuff on. You can remove the by scraping off the excess with a razor, then use acetone or isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly remove ALL residue.
  • edited March 2008
    Its not here today :(
  • edited March 2008
    The only instructions for arctic silver is for Arctic Silver 5. Are the instructions for that pretty much the same as AS3?
    edited March 2008
    Yes, same as AS5 - if single core, small pea-sized amount in center; if multi-core, bead across center (alligned horizontally across cores), followed by 5* rotation back and forth with heatsink.
  • edited March 2008
    MotherBoard, GPU, and Wireless Card in.
    7019093130.jpg

7019093151.jpg

Back Side After MotherBoard and Graphics Card and Wireless Card are in.
    7019093030.jpg

Left Front Looking down through the glass
    7019154193.jpg
  • Nickboxer7Nickboxer7 KC,MO
    edited March 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Yes, same as AS5 - if single core, small pea-sized amount in center; if multi-core, bead across center (alligned horizontally across cores), followed by 5* rotation back and forth with heatsink.

So you are saying to put a ---- across the CPU and "S" on the heatsink?

I'm getting a multi core but the top of the CPU is just solid still. Would that still be the pea sized then? I've always put a small ball and then used a credit card to spread it around.

BTW, Congrats on the new comp. I'm building one too but not that much money by any means. Let us know how fast it runs when you get it up.
    edited March 2008
    Exactly as shown and described at the Arctic Silver site. I cannot describe it better than that. :)
  • edited March 2008
    It said put a line horizontally accross cores then put the HSF on and wiggle it to get out the air bubbles.

Check out this page
    Starting at page 3 of 6
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_dual_wcap.pdf
  • edited March 2008
    I'm still waiting on the Arctic Silver 3 Thermal Compound, it didnt get here today, it definately should be here tomorrow.
  • edited March 2008
    Thanks, Leo it just got here :) in a few minutes I'll start working on the CPU and HSF.
  • edited March 2008
    I got it all put together and after some messing around with the Front Panel Cables got it up and running. I'll post some more pics in a second.