HD Disappeared from My Computer

sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
edited March 2008 in Hardware
I have a 250gb Maxtor ATA HDD (about 4-5 yrs old maybe) in my computer that I've been using as a backup and general file storage drive for a long time. Recently, I've noticed it to be missing from My Computer. Typically this only happens after I've hibernated the computer, but re-appears every time after a restart. I've hibernated and restarted the computer many times, but it still hasn't come back. Is the drive dead, wired wrong (slave/pri, all that), or what? Any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited March 2008
    Bump... :confused:
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited March 2008
    Does the Bios see it?
    edited March 2008
    good question.. I'll have to check that
    edited March 2008
    It was not showing up in the BIOS. I took it apart and played around with the jumper settings and primary/master cables. It seems to be working fine now.

Here's my configuration... let me know if you see a problem.

IDE Master - Maxtor 250gb
    IDE Slave - DVD Drive
    Floppy - Floppy
    SATA 1 - WD Raptor X (C: Drive)
    SATA 2 - empty

I think it was getting messed up because although the Maxtor drive was plugged into the Master SLOT on the motherboard, I was using an IDE cable with 2 plugs on it (one master, one slave - like THIS). The drive was connected to the connector labeled Slave.

Hopefully this fixes it. Thanks
    edited March 2008
    That doesn't really matter. As long as it's set up on the jumpers to some order, or cable select.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    You know, the problem could be as simple as a possible unreliable drive cable. Try a different cable.
    edited March 2008
    I thought I had it solved, but it is still disappearing. I can't get it to show back up again. I'll try a different cable and different configuration when I get a chance.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    try a different cable, if that works great.
    else
    try a different IDE port on the motherboard. if that works, be happy or RMA the board if you think you'll need 2 IDE eventually.
  • edited March 2008
    sfleuriet wrote: »
    I thought I had it solved, but it is still disappearing. I can't get it to show back up again. I'll try a different cable and different configuration when I get a chance.
    can you be able to see it from the computer management ?
    edited March 2008
    Device Manager just shows my one working WD Raptor (C:\) drive.
    edited March 2008
    Then you've probably got a bad drive. Try it in another computer.
  • edited March 2008
    Then you've probably got a bad drive. Try it in another computer.
    Yep, you are right, I got the same case, I tried it on another pc, yep, I can see them ........ now, all I did is backed up all data ........ and you know what I do next ........ bye bye it .......... :p
    edited March 2008
    Dang.. I guess I'll try and get it going again and copy it over. Hopefully I can.