any runners out there?

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited March 2008 in Fitness
I've been running a lot for the past month and a half(almost every day), and I can definitely tell that my speed and endurance has improved, but I dont know exactly what "good" times are.

I usually run a mile in about 6:30, and if I'm just running for distance I can go 2-3 miles if I push it. I'm not training for anything, just running to stay in shape ,so I'm not looking for some outrageous goal.

Judging by this what do you think a reasonable goal is for me to run a mile in should be?

Comments

• NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    tmh88 wrote:
    I've been running a lot for the past month and a half(almost every day), and I can definitely tell that my speed and endurance has improved, but I dont know exactly what "good" times are.

I usually run a mile in about 6:30, and if I'm just running for distance I can go 2-3 miles if I push it. I'm not training for anything, just running to stay in shape ,so I'm not looking for some outrageous goal.

Judging by this what do you think a reasonable goal is for me to run a mile in should be?

I don't consider myself and intense runner, I've been in a few races--10k, nothing special. I'm trying to break a five minute mile this summer and competing in a 10k.

A mile in 6:30 is fairly good for a beginner, if that is averaged over the course of say a 5k or a 10k it's competitive. Certainly not bad by any means. You'll find that decreasing your time becomes exponentially harder after the first few months, don't let it deter you.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Depending on your age, your own understanding of your physical capability, and the places you're running, a 6:30 mile is well above average for just about anyone of any age. I've known people to run the mile in the 5min and 4min range, but that requires a much broader amount of training and/or natural endurance. As is the case, and after years of training for track, I can run in the neighborhood of a 6min mile without any training. That said, that doesn't mean I wouldn't be winded as all get out when it was done.

My biggest suggestion is that you not set a goal in stone but instead make it flexible. If you think what you're doing now is easily accomplished, set yourself a goal of 6:00 in the coming months. The biggest thing is to make sure this stays fun and doesn't become a job. That happened to me just after college and I can't get myself to run just yet, but I'm gearing up for it when the weather gets closer to sprinter style.
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited March 2008
    tmh88 wrote:

If you can run 6:30 for one mile back it off to about 7:30-8:00 and you shouldn't have to push it to make 3-4 miles. The biggest thing to do is make sure you vary your workouts. Don't run the same 3 mile course every day for weeks on end, or you be conditioning your body for just one distance.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited March 2008
    When I go for distance I usually run 8 min miles, but when I'm going for speed I can usually get around 6:30. The fastest I've done was 6:16(5 days ago), but it's not like I keep track of my times every single time I run. btw I'm a 20 years old
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited March 2008
    So it sounds like a mile goal of 6:00 is pretty realistic. It always feels good breaking those minute barriers :)

If you are really getting into running look around for a 5K to run. It will give you a nice goal and you will meet a lot of friendly people. Runners are a great bunch and you will have a blast at the race + post race festivities.
    edited March 2008
    There are always 5 and 10k's going on at my campus. I might go for one later in spring quarter (late april, early may)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2008
    Should be plenty of activities around OU. If you like running with scenery, Hocking Hills is a nice place, esp in the fall.
    edited March 2008
    Do you live near Athens mmonnin? When it isn't freezing or ****ty outside I like to run on the bikepath along the hocking river. Since it's March the weather usually doesn't work out in my favor so I usually end up at Ping on the track(our rec center on campus)
  • Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
    edited March 2008
    tmh, I'm doing my grad work in BG, which also has pretty crappy weather even in March. Dunno if you have it, but I highly recommend the Nike/Apple running kit... assuming you have a nano or can pick up one used. I know there are more accurate and better options, but I've found it to help a lot especially on long runs and indoors. I'm training for a mini and have a tough time knowing that I'm maintaining a consistent pace. With that thing, it's really easy.

As others mentioned, having a goal to work towards seems to help with motivation. After a while it can get a little boring to just go running. Runner's World site has a lot of good work out plans to help mix things up between speed, distance, and tempo. Should give it a look.
    edited March 2008
    I already have the nike+ kit and it's a piece of ****. It records about 65% of my distance and its like 3 weeks old. I've calibrated it many times, and tested distances on tracks and its not accurate at all. For instance when I set it to .10 miles(1 lap on the middle lane of the track at my rec center), by the time I finished one lap it read on average .06-.07 miles.
    edited March 2008
    I better lower my goal to like 5:30. I did a mile in 6:04 today :)
    edited March 2008
    Grats on pushing yourself. It's always nice to realize our goals and be able to push harder.
    edited March 2008
    Tomorrow I'm going for under 6 mins (5:59 :))
  • Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
    edited March 2008
    Yea that's way off. Mine's never been more than 10% off and after recalibration, it's back on target. I'd imagine if you have a fairly inconsistent stride, it could be worse though. Any chance you have one of the attachments for the sensors, as opposed to the nike+ shoes? If that weren't positioned properly it could give some pretty off marks. I use one without a problem, but just a thought.
    edited March 2008
    nope my shoes are nike + shox
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Wow, I wish I could do a 6 minute mile. I'm starting my workouts again since I've gained a little weight the past few month. I could only do 7 flat back push ups. pathetic.
    edited March 2008
    Didn't have a chance to go to the gym, but I'm home now on spring break. We have a treadmill so I'll see what I can do on that. I'm not a fan of treadmills, I have like no balance when I look to the sides.
    edited March 2008
    It's a tossup with treadmills as to whether they're good for you or not...It's really a question of what kind. Does it have a good spring/shock system? It's it pretty even on speed? etc...

If it's all you got, it's all you got, and stick with it!
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    I really dislike running on treadmills, they give inaccurate speeds/times that don't translate to pavement/tracks.
    edited March 2008
    I agree, but sometimes its all you've got. Especially when it's terrible weather. I just hate running outside in the cold/wet/whatever. Of course I'm also a sprinter by nature.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2008
    Even though treadmills give a steady pace I can never get myself to go that same steady pace...

tmh: I grew up in Sidney, Ohio and then went to DeVry in cbus. I've been to hocking hills a couple of times. Beautiful place.