Unix and Linux ...............

edited March 2008 in Science & Tech
Hi all

can you please tell me what is different between 2 NIX ?

- cost
- work performance
- environments as kernel etc ?
- reliability ?

etc etc .........

thank you

ps: where to download Unix + linux ?

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited March 2008
    Ok. There is no "LINUX" to be ever seen. Linus Torvold made something called Linux, which at heart is Unix. Unix is for servers. Linux is for users. Starter platforms of *Nix can be found at Ubuntu and Unix must be purchased I believe..
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Unix is mostly commercial. The open source flavors of unix are BSD and Solaris. There might be others.

Linux is "unix like" but it is not unix. They are as different as mac OS and windows. There are some apps that are "binary compatible" because they use POSIX.

YAD is right though - unix is mostly used for servers. The only vaguely usable UNIX (excepting Mac OS of course) is Solaris, and you need killa hardware for that and you are very limited to your selection of desktop apps.

What are you trying to accomplish? As always, the real test is "Is this the best tool for the task?"
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    if you're a beginner looking to get into *nix, go with linux, and a distro that has a large and beginner-friendly community. As of today, I'd suggest starting with Ubuntu and the Ubuntu forums.
  • edited March 2008
    Thank you for your kindly response, YAD, PS and TT

one of Unix server at work has an error like can not change to home directory, that why I am thinking about unix server and start looking for one server that I can download and practice at home
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Ubuntu is now permanently installed on my laptop(for 2 weeks or so now), but I have no intention of learning much about it. It just works and that makes me happy ;) Though the Synaptic Package Manager makes things real nice when I wanna specific program for something, or even a game. But of course you won't find Dreamweaver or World of Warcraft on there, only similar things made by other people.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2008
    Most usual reason that you can't get to a home directory is that, that directory got deleted or the permissions on it got changed.

One other very popular business version of Unix is AIX unix which is the default OS IBM uses for it's Unix servers.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    oh yeah, duh! :) AIX, HP-UX, Tru64, even Irix is still used :p

My bad.
  • edited March 2008
    kryyst wrote: »
    Most usual reason that you can't get to a home directory is that, that directory got deleted or the permissions on it got changed.

One other very popular business version of Unix is AIX unix which is the default OS IBM uses for it's Unix servers.
    right, I believed so, how can we restore those files, please advise, thank you
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited March 2008
    Blue_Dog wrote:
    right, I believed so, how can we restore those files, please advise, thank you

If the permissions were changed you will have to use chmod. If the owner was changed you will have to use chown. If they were deleted you would need to restore them from your nightly backup.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    depending on the setup, home dirs can be a mounted dir too (nfs or a disk mount, or other).

If you're not running the 'nix server at work, and you don't know why you can't mount your homedir, you won't have permissions to fix it. :)
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited March 2008
    good point, shwaip