Joomla menus are driving me crazy

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited March 2008 in Internet & Media
Ok.

So I have joomla installed, and I didn't install the sample data just because I didn't want all that crap. This is the first time I've really dove in with the full intention of making a site rather than just messing around.

Anyways. I have one section (Site Content), quite a few categories, and a whole lot of articles. My problem is this. I can't figure out how to get joomla to make menus.

Is there a guide online to the making of menus in joomla 1.5? I'm going absolutely batty because I make them in the menu manager but they don't show up. I even installed joomla on wamp on my personal computer with the sample data. replicated everything for the top menu and still doesn't work....

Aside from the menus all I have left is a photo gallery, file manager, and calendar for now. Can someone please help me. I feel absolutely retarded right now. This should be easier.

Comments

• JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited March 2008
    Isn't there an option to "publish" or make the content visible to the user? I think every item needs to be published to be seen.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    It all is. I can add to the existing main menu that was created with the install. but I'm trying to created other menu's and to utilize the top menu but it isn't working.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    reinstall it with the sample data. I've done about a half-dozen installs of Mambo/Joomla, and I still install the sample data and just make it hidden. It's waaaay easier to look at the sample data than trying to make a menu up from scratch.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2008
    If I remember correctly the menu and any sub items have to have some content before they will show up. So it's best to just create some static 'filler' style posts in any category so that you know everything is working.

Also go into your modules section and make sure that they are shown as being published there.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Yeh, I figured it out. I didn't know you had to make a module.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2008
    Yeah that drove me nuts for about 2 days the first time I seriously started working on it.