Getting hacked and spied no matter what i do! help!

cp9cp9
edited April 2008 in Science & Tech
Hi! I need help to get rid of this hacker! No matter which pc i use she/he can get in it!

I use 1 pc for networking and surfing the net. This i don't really care if it gets hacked!

And another one for work; writing documents and such, passwords are also stored here. The problem comes with this pc. I don't have ethernet hardware installed, i use Windows xp sp2 and got everything related to networking and sharing turned off, the antivirus i use is Avast! and the firewall COMODO (everything is blocked!).. but she/he can enter the pc either way! erasing documents and stealing passwords!

All i know is that the she-hacker is from the same neighbourhood. Is she/he using WoL to hack? need help!

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    If you have all the networking disabled and no network cable or wireless installed, then there is no way anyone can be hacking your PC and removing things.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited March 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    If you have all the networking disabled and no network cable or wireless installed, then there is no way anyone can be hacking your PC and removing things.

Yes, I have to agree fully with this, atleast in 2008.
  • erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas Member
    edited March 2008
    Ask your ISP to change your ip address. And change your e-mail as well.
  • edited March 2008
    Crappy Troll is Crappy
  • edited March 2008
    How long before somebody comes along with a link to an amazing piece of pay software which will solve all of your computing problems, cure aids and end world hunger?
  • cp9cp9
    edited March 2008
    yea i know at first i didnt believe it either! but when my documents started getting deleted i begin to wonder, then i search the web and found an article saying that CIA or FBI had a method to get in any computer even if the power is turned off, maybe the hacker found a similar way!

the only thing related to the issue i could get was the wake-on-lan (wol), maybe something to do with integrated LAN10/100 hardware in motherboards? :confused:

this hack thing might be happening to other people without them even realizing it! may be hard to get a resolve of this but thx for the concern tho!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Nobody is hacking your computer while it is disconnected. You could be a <b>living god</b> and not be able to hack a computer with the power off.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited March 2008
    If you genuinely think you're getting hacked, there's a very quick way to tell. Set your clock back a month on the PC, and make a file with a very interesting name, reset your clock and restart. Forget about the file for about a week of being online. Rightclick it and go to properties and read it's last access time. This is a very light version of honey-potting.

From very intimate experience, the CIA really has no reason to get inside your computer. The FBI's might, but there is absolutely no way one can gain access to files if the hard disk isn't powered on. If you've not done any recent virus scans or such, I would make that first priority. If files are just coming up missing, run chkdsk. You just might have a failing drive.

Now you mention Wake on LAN, but if the computer is unpowered, they're not accessing that a data, because not even WOL can boot a box. WOL only works in standby, or suspend. You mention 10/100 alot, perchance are you using wireless as a substitute? If so, is it secure? Open access points broadcast data in plaintext. That means that if you type "http://www.icrontic.com&quot; the HTTP_GET string has that in it just as you typed it. WEP is good. WPA is better...I think. To be honest I really don't like wireless. Sure you can use your lappy on the crapper or play Final Fantasy DS online or whatnot... But it provides a very large hole in the network. Example; Up the block there's a family called the Hettes. They have a linksys WMP54G series access point and it's running WEP64. My PSP can crack that in about 30 minutes with some homebrew I've got. Or I could just longshot to it from my house at 6.3 watts and do it while I'm making coffee. Wep128 sounds like it's twice as good, but overall, it's only 24-32 hex characters. 15 bits per integer with 32 positions. You're looking at just over a billion combinations. A dual core 2.4 with 3gb physical and 10gb of rainbowtables can break that in roughly two minutes, faster if I'm not doing other things.

So in short; if you genuinely are getting hacked, find your holes and remove them, secure your network and have three fingers of Irish Whiskey.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:

If stuff is being changed despite you not being connected to any networks and you think the hacker is in the neighborhood. Does this happen while you are not at the computer?

If so you may want to lock you doors, if you are not connected like what everyone else has said, then the only way to get to your files is the same way you do. By going to the actual PC.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Set up a video camera in your bedroom just to make sure you're not sleep-deleting your junk.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited March 2008
    MJancaitis wrote:
    Set up a video camera in your bedroom just to make sure you're not sleep-deleting your junk.

Now that's an innovative idea.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited March 2008
    Obvious troll is obvious.
  • cp9cp9
    edited March 2008
    thanks for the help! im far from an expert in anything related to connections but will try any of the suggestion i can, i think i'll pass on the video camera thing tho lol

i can't remember an accurate date when the documents gets deleted, i think maybe 1-2 days after i save them, maybe im getting paranoid but the important and long work files (some family photos too) are the ones the hacker sets the target, the plains texts or agendas are always there!

after reading the previous post now i think the hacker only gets in the computers and deletes anything when they are powered on while im working. Will scan for virus and try to secure the network with the methods Your Amish Daddy mentioned.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    No hackers care about you. The government doesn't care about you. You're paranoid and lack the knowledge to understand exactly how ludicrous what you're saying is. Your roommate is screwing with you, or you have a hardware problem.

Hacker deletes family photos in between hacking Gibsons, News at 11.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    haxors.jpg
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Keebler wrote:
    No hackers care about you. The government doesn't care about you. You're paranoid and lack the knowledge to understand exactly how ludicrous what you're saying is. Your roommate is screwing with you, or you have a hardware problem.

Hacker deletes family photos in between hacking Gibsons, News at 11.

Well said :)

EDIT: I just got rickroll'd :horrified:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    HELL NAW!
    edited March 2008
    srsly
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    No one by itself can hack the gibsons, only if hackers unite can they see Angelina Jolie topless!
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Actually having worked at Cheyenne Mountain I know this guy's complaint is legit. WOPR is a pretty powerful system, and with the upgrades I was personally involved in we were able to work out a method to break into any computer through the power lines. Pretty much if your computer was plugged in I could own it.

The only secure computer is the one that is completely disconnected from the wall and has no battery backup.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    facepalm.jpg
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Sounds like a sneakernet to me
  • edited March 2008
    Sounds like this is what you need...it should stop all your hacking problems

Ease your problems..

If this doesn't work, the best way to fix it is to get a plasma torch, cut open your pc with it, rip out all the parts, then finish it off by first running over it with a car several times (the parts that is) until they become a dust, then mix it in with your cheerios for about a month....no one will find out your info or delete the pix that you cherish o so much...plus you get some extra silica in your diet.

Next I suggest you move out into the mountains in Utah, Oregon, or Nevada. Then you should make a house out of concrete that is lined with foil so they can't get your info, and then build a new computer, using your own OS that you custom write (so no one can hack it), and run it off solar power. After that all you have to worry about are the aliens that can read your mind....but that's a battle for a different day. Xenu Bless you
    edited April 2008
    Ok, I'm sorry to tell you this but there's nothing else it could mean. They are coming for you. Take your family, change your name, burn all your worldly posessions and flee the country and never come to Icrontic again. They could be on the way already. Go to Canada... Nobody suspects Canada...
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I suspect Canada.
    edited April 2008
    Do you forget, Gnome_Queen- You are suspicious of everyone after BuddyJ got inside your home. *pat*
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I Can't Sleep At Night, I Keep Seeing His Face Looming Over Me In Bed!!!! He Just Gets Closer And Closer And Closer And Then He Puts A Jelly Bean On My Nose!! Wtf Does That Mean?!??!?!?!!?!?!?!?
    edited April 2008
    I think you've been spending too much time with people that choose english as a second language, then don't know where to add caps so to be safe add caps infront of EVERYTHING.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Harudath wrote:
    I think you've been spending too much time with people that choose english as a second language, then don't know where to add caps so to be safe add caps infront of EVERYTHING.

No, you're getting it wrong. She's in SO MUCH FEAR that she's lost her ability to use proper capitalization and grammar. That is pure terror.
    edited April 2008
    Hoh ****! You're right! I need 50CCs of TF2, STAT!