Need a DSL modem and router

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited April 2008 in Science & Tech
As the title says, I need a new modem and the one supplied by the ISP is worthless. Anyone know one that plays well with BitTorrent and gaming?

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited April 2008
    Well the last time I checked, DSL doesn't do well with either, and Bit-Torrent is old as hell. As for a DSL modem, I think Dlink makes one, and the WRT54G4X is a badass router.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2008
    Ignore Your Amish Daddy dsl is great.

Put your modem in bridged mode, buy a wrt54gl flash it with dd-wrt. Raise max simultaneous connections to 4096 & lower time out to half of the defaults.

edit: Btw probably the best modem right now is probably the speedtouch 512, Its really good at dealing with interference and line noise (at least better then both my old 3com & my speedstream 5200), it also has routing features (However if you do any p2p it will be unreliable)
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I'm currently on a Speedtouch 780WL and I've already had one fail on me.
  • edited April 2008
    What sort of DSL are you using? Are you bothered about wireless?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    1) ?
    2) Bothered how? My dad uses the wireless on his laptop. 802.11g I think.
  • edited April 2008
    There is more than one kind of DSL, some modems handle certain types better. Bothered as in is wireless a priority or will average performance do?

Not really giving us much to work with here.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2008
    Black Hawk wrote:
    I'm currently on a Speedtouch 780WL and I've already had one fail on me.

Any modem/router combo will do a piss poor job.

See if you can access the web interface and put it in bridged mode. You will have to do pppoe authentication on the router not the modem but your connection should be more reliable.I still stand by my recommendation of the speedtouch 512 as its very good with dealing with line noise, better then any other modem ive tested.