fake network connection?

edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
edited June 2008 in Folding@Home
So the current SMP looks for a network connection or it won't run. I spend long hours (10-15 at a stretch) on airplanes. I have power available (business class please).
Could I buy a small USB powered switch and plug it into my machine (network connection) to make it think that there was a connection. I have run folding when there was a network detected that I couldn't log into, so it doesn't really check.
What do you think?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    no idea, sorry

Interesting question.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Yes, I think so.

But only if you set a static IP, it may not work if there is no IP on the NIC.
  • edited April 2008
    I bet you could make some sort of faker with an RJ45 but not sure how you would wire it up.
    Tried google but not come up with anything so far.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I cheated this time. I left the wireless turned on and that was enough for SMP. 7 hours of folding over the Pacific.

Travel tip of the day. Fly EVA business class. It was great.
  • everyguyeveryguy El Cajon, California
    edited June 2008
    I solved this by creating a loopback device. It creates an internal local network connection that the SMP client can use. I had my notebook off the network for a whole day with no problems.

You can find instructions here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1286217
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Right. I installed that on one of my Folders. Loopback adapter really works. I installed on my wife's machine - I never know what goofy thing she's going to do next with her computer.

Sorry, Ed, I should have thought about that when you first posted.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    NICE job finding that info, everyguy!!! :D
  • everyguyeveryguy El Cajon, California
    edited June 2008
    QCH2002 wrote:
    NICE job finding that info, everyguy!!! :D

Thanks. It's the page that helped me out when I had the same problem.