rdp from outside a domain

edited April 2008 in Science & Tech
i want to access my work pc remotely but i'm unsure of how to... its in our work domain running windows server 2003, here at home i've got a Laptop running Windows Vista Ultimate...

firstly what do i need... i do have my ip address for my machine but i'm not a network literate person so it would be cool if someone give me a brief explanation on how this works...

i know that there's a firewall handling outside requests to the domain...

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2008
    The first stumbling block is this. Do you have the ability to install software on your work PC? If you can't do that then there is nothing you can do.

If you can do that then you need to create a tunnel to your machine as your work machine IP does you no good sitting outside the firewall.

There are a couple options. The simple (but have to pay for it way) is to use a program like Go To My PC. That'll create the connection, which should go through the firewall and allow you to connect to your machine remotely.

The free versions, which I'm sure there are others. But one way I've used is to use himachi. This creates the tunnel between the two computers. Then you can connect to that machine using VNC or RDP as your choose.
  • edited April 2008
    cheers... yes i'm an admin for my work PC :)

ok... so i have to create this from my work pc?

i do have my ipconfig detail for my work pc...

i'm currently at home so won't be at work till tomorrow...
    edited April 2008
    You have to create it on both, but it's easy to get to your home machine since you can just port forward directly to it. Your work machine though is the trick.

So you need to have hamachi running on both that creates the virtual tunnel through the internet so you get a pair of IP's that can talk to each other. Once that's established you can do whatever you want.
  • edited April 2008
    cheers kryyst... i will look into hamachi, its a free product? would it run on a corporate machine?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    No way to know without trying.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    One other thing to take into consideration is the fact that your company may not allow you to create a VPN tunnel through their firewall as it is a breach of security. If you have one, check with you network admin as I know in the places I have worked, that has been a sackable offence.
    edited April 2008
    manuleka wrote:
    cheers kryyst... i will look into hamachi, its a free product? would it run on a corporate machine?

Hamachi is free and it will run on a corporate machine. Now if your corporation has rules against what you can and can't install on those machines that's another story.

But I can tell you that at my work place I've set it up and used it before to do exactly what you are trying to do. Using Hamachi on my home and work computers and then using VNC (I just prefer it to RDP) to remotely control the desktops. We have a solid firewall in place and it worked fine.

I should note that I'm the Network Admin so I wasn't to worried about breaking my own policies.
  • edited April 2008
    oh i better consult with our work admin, cause my work have their own vpn... don't wanna get fired hehehe..
    edited April 2008
    It won't affect your work VPN it's not using the same ports. However they may not want you doing that for other security reasons.
  • edited April 2008
    thanks guys... i did get abit of a lecture from one of our work admins... lucky i didn't use the programme... we got our own vpn :)

cheers guys...