Steak

NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
edited May 2008 in Fitness
Good steak isn't exactly cheap, but if you've had a good cut of fine beef before you know how enjoyable it cane be. Here's a quick way to enhance that grocery store steak and make it taste like it cost $30 more.

Make sure the steak is properly thawed, preferably in your refrigerator. If you're in a bind for time, seal it in a plastic back and let it soak in cold tap water, changing the water every thirty minutes. This should thaw it in about an hour depending on size.

After it's thawed, salt it. Not a bit, not generously, but thickly coat it in salt on all sides.

[figure]steak1.jpg[/figure]

After salting, let the steak sit in the fridge for about an hour. After an hour, rinse off all the salt with tap water and then pat dry it. Don't press too hard, you don't want the juices to get absorbed--leaving the inside dry.

Afterwards, cook it with your method of choice. I'm partial to grilling steak with charcoal just until it's barely done mooing, but do what you will.

Once the cooking is done, put a light coating of extra virgin olive oil and fresh ground pepper across the top.

[figure]steak2.jpg[/figure]

Then enjoy with drink of choice.

Comments

• DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Nomad wrote:

Make sure the steak is properly thawed

Thawed :confused:
    Who freeze steak?
    You buy steak and cook it, if you want it.
    You don't buy it to freeze, that's just wrong.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    never cook a steak beyond medium, medium/well

also i like to take my steaks, throw them in a high grade zip lock bag with italian dressing for a few hours before grilling.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    DogDragon wrote:
    Thawed :confused:
    Who freeze steak?
    You buy steak and cook it, if you want it.
    You don't buy it to freeze, that's just wrong.

some of us, like myself, sometimes buy a half cow from the butcher. therefor deepfreeze is the only way.
    I also have a half pig in the freezer.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    fatcat wrote:
    some of us, like myself, sometime by a half cow from the butcher. therefor deepfreeze is the only way.

Yep. And I don't want to be assed with going to the store the day when I want a steak. I buy it for the week and eat it when I want.
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Well I buy my steak when I want it, and I get it from a butcher
    not the local supermarket. If you want good meat you have to
    go to a butcher. Just like you want fresh fish you fish for it.
    ( But I live in Florida)
    Buying half a cow I can see the saving, but freezing beef it
    just changes the taste. Frozen beef is good for soup and stews
    but if you want it for grilling buy it fresh, you can't beat the
    taste.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2008
    Why not a marinade instead of just salt.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    personally, i enjoy a steak thats been soaked in JD or Jim Beam before its cooked, and with lots of pepper rly good flavor
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Cool thread!
    I'm not saying Nomad's method of pre-salt and wash doesn't work but I was always taught not to put salt on steak before you cook it as it draws water and makes the meat tough.

I prefer buying my steak from the butchers. The steak they pre-pack in the supermarket is never cut thick enough for my taste. I get them to vacuum seal it individually and toss it in the refrigerator for about a week.
    The longer it "ripens" the more tender it becomes.

In South Africa, barbecuing or braaing as we call it, is a national pastime, so there's no other way steak gets eaten but char grilled on the coals. I like mine nice and rare in the middle. I prefer to grind salt and pepper on the serving board and lay the steak on there for a few minutes before eating it. That seems to do the trick.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    The one thing France do well... Steak and Chip-.. sigh.... Fries. Medium rare with the juices that the steak was cooked in.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    We buy a whole fillet at Sams or BJ's (Wholesale stores).
    We save a bunch of money buying it whole and cutting it ourselves.
    If we had a big freezer we would be buying half a steer and half a hog just for the savings.
    The fillets are sealed in heavy plastic bags.
    They have fresh dates on them and usually are only a couple days old.
    So, They are as fresh as the butcher store..
    We bring them home, cut them into 1 1/2 to 2 inch thick fillets and vacuum pack them for deep freeze.
    We have a vacuum sealer which is really super for keeping foods of all kinds.
    I have eaten steaks fresh cut off the fillet and frozen/vacuum packed.
    You can't tell the difference.
    Medium rare is our choice.
    Sea salt and fresh ground pepper while it waits on the cutting board is our preference too.
    Barbied with charcoal and a few wood chips like Hickory or Mesquite once in a while.
    Sometimes we'll try Jack Daniels Used Whiskey Barrel Wood Chips.
    Yummy, Now I gotta go take a couple steaks out for barbieing!
    This thread is making me miss my venison backstrap fillets/ venison burgers, and buffalo burgers.
    Can't get either here in Fla.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Winga wrote:
    Cool thread!
    I'm not saying Nomad's method of pre-salt and wash doesn't work but I was always taught not to put salt on steak before you cook it as it draws water and makes the meat tough.

I prefer buying my steak from the butchers. The steak they pre-pack in the supermarket is never cut thick enough for my taste. I get them to vacuum seal it individually and toss it in the refrigerator for about a week.
    The longer it "ripens" the more tender it becomes.

In South Africa, barbecuing or braaing as we call it, is a national pastime, so there's no other way steak gets eaten but char grilled on the coals. I like mine nice and rare in the middle. I prefer to grind salt and pepper on the serving board and lay the steak on there for a few minutes before eating it. That seems to do the trick.

In my area there are few, if any, old fashioned butchers. I typically buy my meat from the deli counter which is similar to a butcher, just inside the supermarket. I thought that water inside the steak would be a problem, but what the salt helps it to do is first and foremost flavor it, but retain the natural juices of the meat, not add water.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    This technique works quite well with chicken, also.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Anything works with chicken :tongue:
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I just take the steak out of the freezer, and place it directly on the grill. Tastes exactly like the restaurant steak to me...

Then again, I like my steaks medium-well, so maybe they're not so sensetive to cooking style at that level of cooking.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Indeed they're not. Anything more than Medium is too done to me. And MW is almost to the point where you can't taste much difference in the meat. We used to use Well done orders of steaks to mask all the borderline bad pieces of meat when I worked in the restaurant because when you cook it that long it loses most flavor anyways...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Unless my steak costs $50, Mw please.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Buy it fresh and thick. Put salt and pepper on it (lotz of salt) while cooking it on the grill. Server with A1 steak sauce. Thats the only way i can do it.

Oh yeah. It MUST be medium.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2008
    Heres how I cook it.

Defrost it

put some olive oil and steak spice in a bowl, get steak spice + olive oil all over the steak. Cook on the BBQ then enjoy.