Started working out

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited April 2008 in Fitness
About two weeks ago. But I didn't hit the gym like most people might tend to, even if there is the colvin (campus rec) center 4 blocks away. Still too far away for me.:D

I've been doing 15-30 push ups a day and different types of cruches 3-4 times a week for the past two weeks. And while I can't say a whole lot has happened in the weight/pudgey stomach area, my arms have gotten noticeably harder and bigger. I may start the gym next school year, but for now this seems to be working for me. and when I muster up the drive to go run a mile or so it makes me feel better. Although today may calfs were so tight. it hurt to walk up stairs this morning.

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Yeah if you start working out and see that you are building muscles but don't see any abs you need to go run. If you are getting into decent shape its usually a small amount of fat or water so it falls of fast. It was creepy how about a pound just fell off me and it was all in my stomach....start the push-up a day challenge just do one more push-up each day and try it with your crunches thats what I do keeps enough change to make me think about it and keep doing it if you don't like working out that much like I do.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Your stomach will never get the definition you want without heavy cardio. Start running.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Awesome :D I've actually started doing pretty much the same thing, I broke my ankle a couple years ago and totally stopped all sports and got into computers :tongue: I've been missing my old stamina and strength so I've started doing pressups, situps and other stuff :D Swimming is great too, if you don't like running and apparently 15 minutes on a trampoline is the equivalent of a 2 mile jog or something riddiculous :tongue: Good luck! :D
    edited April 2008
    Nothing is better cardio than running.
    edited April 2008
    I know, but swimming's still good :tongue: In any case I'd rather swim for a couple hours than run for half that time.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Nothing is better cardio than running.

I disagree. Given the negatives experienced by many casual runners (knee problems) other forms of cardio such as biking, elliptical training, interval weight training, and swimming are just as well suited for cardiovascular fitness.

Diet is the end all, be all of cardio anyhow.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Swimming > Running
    edited April 2008
    Swimming is a weird one... I find it far less strenuous than running but it's better for you :D
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I don't hate runnning, I just have fairly mild asthma (my dad is asthmatic) so I get winded pretty quickly. Though I can build up my tolerance if I do it regularly.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I'll be the first to admit it then: I hate running. I like swimmimng better.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    If it was about what you "like" to do, we'd all just eat ice cream. Sadly, that won't help. Time to start running.
    edited April 2008
    But that's not the point; If you're going to do excercise you may as well do a form you enjoy that works just as well as another form that you dislike. Not eating icecream cuz it's just as fattening as cake but you like it more.
    edited April 2008
    The point is that nothing works as well as running. Other things might be good, but none of them are quite as good as that.
    edited April 2008
    Here's an excercice calculator, dunno how good it is /shrug
    you don't burn as much swimming because your body does not heat up as much when it's in the water. You get the same aerobic benefit, but not the same calorie burn
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    you don't burn as much swimming because your body does not heat up as much when it's in the water. You get the same aerobic benefit, but not the same calorie burn

I think the main reason has nothing to do (directly) with how much your body heats up, but moreso based on oxygen expenditure. In fact, depending on the temperature of the water, and the intensity of your swimming, you may not be able to cool off fast enough just from the water surrounding you (not being able to evaporate sweat off of you). The types of muscle actions (and probably the type of muscle performing the actions) are different in swimming than in running, which probably plays a large role in oxygen consumption/energy usage. I did see evidence from a study on swimmers in different water temperatures - apparently the lower temperature of the water relates to a larger appetite after the workout - be careful not to eat too much, swimmers! Anyway...

I'd rather play soccer than run. It's one of two ways I can be tricked into running.
    edited April 2008
    sharkydart wrote:
    I'd rather play soccer than run. It's one of two ways I can be tricked into running.

Haha, me too :tongue: Or tennis :D

EDIT: I could happily swim for hours and see it as leisure as well as excercise, I find running more of a... I can't think of the word :tongue: I guess a chore is closest to what I was thinking of
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    There are a few calisthenics that can really help with the stomach.

http://www.myfit.ca/exercisedatabase/search.asp?muscle=Calisthenics&type=Exercises&equipment=yes

Here are a bunch.

http://www.myfit.ca/exercisedatabase/search.asp?muscle=Abdominal

Best part is that you can do em at home and not at the gym.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Harudath wrote:
    But that's not the point; If you're going to do excercise you may as well do a form you enjoy that works just as well as another form that you dislike.

I would agree, it's common that beginners get burnt out trying to bite off too much. I got into weight lifting, something I thought I'd dislike previously, after a year of serious cycling.
    Thrax wrote:
    The point is that nothing works as well as running. Other things might be good, but none of them are quite as good as that.

Like I said, I disagree, with proper diet one form of cardio is as good as the next so long as you are keeping with intensity. The most important thing is that you're actually doing it.
    UPSWeezer wrote:
    There are a few calisthenics that can really help with the stomach.

Just realize spot reduction of fat isn't possible, so doing a thousand crunches nearly builds the muscle under your stomach, it doesn't eliminate fat.
    edited April 2008
    Aye, I used to do 200 situps a night cuz I was fed up of not being able to do the stuff my friends could do and I ended up with a lump of muscle at the top of my stomach because I didn't work on the lower stomach :tongue:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    sharkydart wrote:

The other is to put a naked woman on the back of a truck and drive at sharky's running pace.
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Yup, that would definitely work.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited April 2008
    Muscle is built in the gym, the definition to see it is made in the kitchen. If you want a ripped abdomen you need to be one of those naturally uber skinny people or you need to be RELIGIOUS about what you eat...Period.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Best cardio EVER: Moonjump house!

I has just in one of these with my little bro today and it gets you tired fast. After about 20 minutes I was ready to pass out. Trampoline is good too.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited April 2008
    The best cardio ever is generally accepted to be HIIT.
    edited April 2008
    Before I started doing pressups I couldn't do any pull-ups- I did 3 today :D Not many but it's a start and an improvement considering it's been like 1 week