Fair Skin

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited May 2008 in Fitness
OK so an odd question, or at least odd for me to ask as it does not seem like a manly thing to do. But I have fair skin and I can't tan, my skin just gets burned it's always been like that. I'd like to get it darker but don't know what I can do. I've heard there are products out there that can darken the skin but I am unsure about it because I don't want something that'll run like makeup, or is makeup. I saw something at the store the other day while looking for lotion and it was sunblock that darkens skin but said it was for darker toned people(I don't remember what it said exactly but that is how I read it) so I was just curious. I know we got a couple of females on the board and they'd probably know a good deal about this I figure.

I have about 4w 3d to go for my goal to be reached and so far it's been great and I'd like to look my best for the river trip we're taking and not be so damned pale.

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2008
    Some people just don't tan, or at least burn a lot easier than others. Usually its people with light hair (blonde/red) and light (blue/green) eyes. Do you fit in that area? I'm not sure there is much someone can do if they are like that.

There are sunless tanners. Like sprays/lotions. No idea if they work, I've just seem them advertised.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    There are a lot of sunless tanners but I would be careful about picking one- your skin can end up orange. I think that it was Mystic Tan that I heard was good a little while ago- people like Paris Hilton were pimping it out.

I am also pale, and I do not tan at all, unless I burn really badly. I've embraced the whiteness though- I'm pretty sure that I would look weird tan anyways. I do get excited when I get a little burned or a tad tan- some color is nice. :)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2008
    Yeah some color is nice. The ones that have a deep tan all year round are fugly though. Their skin is like leather from the constant UV.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Well, I have fairly pale skin in the winter time, but in the summer I will usually burn, or come close to it once, and after that I get pretty dark fairly easily. I have brown hair and blue/green eyes so I'm not sure how much that has to do with it. I think it might have more to do with how much melanin is in your body. Which arguably affects the previous two.

The best I can do is say go out into the sun for 30 minutes (15 minutes front/15 minutes back) and do that for 3 or 4 days staying out for a bit longer each day. I'd almost bet you'll earn yourself a few shades and make yourself more resistant to burning. That's the best advice I can give.

Spray on tans work, but I'm not a big fan of them just because they are fake and are easy to spot. I prefer the free method. No one has started charging to use the sun (yet..)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    simpsons%20sun-jj-001.jpg
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    The best I can do is say go out into the sun for 30 minutes (15 minutes front/15 minutes back) and do that for 3 or 4 days staying out for a bit longer each day. I'd almost bet you'll earn yourself a few shades and make yourself more resistant to burning. That's the best advice I can give.

Spray on tans work, but I'm not a big fan of them just because they are fake and are easy to spot. I prefer the free method. No one has started charging to use the sun (yet..)

I definitely agree with this, your skin composition is genetic, but you can help build up a great deal of resistance and begin to tan by exposing yourself to the suns rays for shorter periods of time. This is why people, before they go on a vacation, will pre-tan at a tanning salon sometimes, so they don't go burning in the sun.

Fake tans are really easy to spot I think. Just got for a few short walks outside.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Nomad wrote:
    Fake tans are really easy to spot I think. Just got for a few short walks outside.

My results (I'm in the middle, that's T-Wiz on the right and his lame cousin on the left):

f_GuidoOompam_ab2ab80.jpg
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited May 2008
    I was pale before being pale was "in", Lol. ;).
    I've had, quite literally, only one tan in my life, and I accomplished that by getting in as much early morning and late afternoon sun as possible; that should get you a workable "base".
    Best advice has already been given: 15-20 minute intervals, and slowly increase it as you progress. And don't forget to moisturize afterwards. Seriously.

LIN :)
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I have brown hair and blue eyes and i tan perfectly fine. I go to the pool for an hour or two everyday in the summer, so i can get pretty tan. My hair gets kinda blonde too.
    edited May 2008
    Yeh, my hair does the same. I'm not sure if it actually gets any lighter or if it just looks lighter because my skin is darker, but I don't complain. I usually add a little lemon juice to help things along :D
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I usually add a little lemon juice to help things along :D

HA!

My mom used to do that to my hair when I was a kid. Whenever I was going to be in the sun all day, she combed lemon juice into my hair.

Whenever I tell people that they always tell me that they've never heard of that, and that it sounds totally crazy... at least someone else has heard of this...

Maybe... is it a southern thing?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    It's not uncommon, in fact it's a property of the citric acid opening the hair shaft:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid#Others
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    My sis has done it for a long time
    edited May 2008
    I don't know, maybe. I know some people around here do it, but not a whole lot.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited May 2008
    Maybe you can try going to a tanning bed, but staying in for say 4-5 minutes at start, and work your way into staying longer? Sorry I can't be of much help, I've always had no problems tanning. My best friend does though, and he tried what I mentioned above and started to get a little color to him.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited May 2008
    Guido_05.jpg

As you can tell, my boys and I have no trouble tanning and do great impressions of a duck.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited May 2008
    tmh88 wrote:
    Guido_05.jpg

As you can tell, my boys and I have no trouble tanning and do great impressions of a duck.

She looks like the girl I arrested for DUI last night
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited May 2008
    Unless you live in New York, New Jersey, or Miami it probably isn't her. So your a cop, eh?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I spent a while outside in the shade... got a little red and now my scalp is dry as hell :P I wasn't in the shade 100% of the time of course but I figured with being outside all day doing lawn work the reflected light could do a good enough job haha. It did... and I am hoping I don't begin to flake... damn baldness!

So I've been putting on lotion with aloe to help out which I think it has. So yeah I think I look darker but it's mostly because I am slightly red. But my legs are and always have been whiter than white and they didn't get touched this weekend.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited May 2008
    tmh88 wrote:
    Unless you live in New York, New Jersey, or Miami it probably isn't her. So your a cop, eh?

Just said it looks like her, it obviously isn't...and yeah, if I weren't...it would sort of negate the ability to arrest people.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2008
    tmh88 wrote:
    Guido_05.jpg

**** was so cash !

lol