D-Link DGL-4500 and uTorrent

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited May 2008 in Science & Tech
Static IP set. Ports forwarded correctly and uTorrent still shows me as not connectible. Anybody successfully set up uTorrent with any of the Gamerlounge series of routers or with similar type of firmware?

Thanks.

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2008
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    edited May 2008
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2008
    Do you have a firewall up on your machine as well and what ports are you using the default torrent ports or your own?

Scratch that. Looking through all your pics I'm not seeing where you have port forwarding rules setup. But I Do see that you have uPnP dissabled - enable that you should be good.
    edited May 2008
    The above pics are for the modem/router. Firewall is disabled there and the port forwarding is on the second router. My problem is that the first modem has a ISP branded firmware and it's lacking options to bridge or half-bridge. Gotta find a way to do it via CLI or upgrade the firmware.
    edited May 2008
    but you are only port forwarding between the two routers not to the outside world. You have to have port forwarding on both or it won't nat between. Put UPnP on that router also.
    edited May 2008
    So I enable UPnP on both routers and enable it within uTorrent?
    edited May 2008
    Black Hawk wrote:
    So I enable UPnP on both routers and enable it within uTorrent?

Yep.
    edited May 2008
    I think I'm better off finding a firmware or buying a new modem. These speedtouch are pissing me off.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2008
    You dont need a new modem and you dont need to enable UPNP unless you like security risks from every app forwarding ports on its own.

Put your modem in bridged mode (This will disable all router functionality on it), You will also have to know your vci/vpi settings your isp uses (Most American isp's are 0/33, And for canada 0/35 is popular). If you have your VCI/VPI settings wrong you wont be able to authenticate.

Now have your router take care of pppoe for you and forward portson the router.

All modem/router combos do a really lousy job at the router part.

If you have a speedtouch 516 its a very good modem that handles line noise very well its also adsl2 capable.
    edited May 2008
    I'd love to bridge it but the firmware is ISP branded and I can't modify a lot. Only way I could do it is through the CLI or upgrading the firmware. First is a true PITA since I don't understand most of the commands and I have yet to find the files or time for the latter.
    edited May 2008
    Black Hawk wrote:
    I'd love to bridge it but the firmware is ISP branded and I can't modify a lot. Only way I could do it is through the CLI or upgrading the firmware. First is a true PITA since I don't understand most of the commands and I have yet to find the files or time for the latter.

What model is your modem, If its a 516 I can telnet to mine and see if I can figure out how to put it in bridged mode from the command line.

edit: Mines a ST-516 Version 6
    edited May 2008
    I'd have to go downstairs and check but I believe the CLI commands are standard. I know the 780 which I also tried uses the same commands.
    edited May 2008
    I found a previous post from you that has the model in it, Just check the revision.

If you want to de cripple the modem you could flash it with the latest firmware from the manufacturer.

http://www.thomson-broadband.co.uk/codepages/content3.asp?c=7&ProductID=528

I would advise against this if you are just renting the modem or if it violates the terms of service for your isp.

edit: Bridged mode on that would probably be painful, You might be best just to replace it.

If your renting it from the isp you can probably get a discount on your montly bill if you use your own. ($6 less a month with my isp)
    edited May 2008
    The modem was "free" with the contract but that was a long time ago.

I want to leave flashing as a last resort since I doubt the ISP is gonna help me set it up afterwards. They probably wouldn't know a damn thing if I ask them about the CLI commands.

Did you find any useful commands?
    edited May 2008
    I only know a few basic commands for it
    adsl info - Shows breif description of line profile, dsl type and uptime

adsl info expand=enabled - Shows much more information about your sync rate & line noise.

autopvc config - Automatically sets pvc settings (I think)

systemlog show - Slows system log

eth bridge ? - Shows you the commands to bridge the interface (I dont think you can on yours because it has wifi and an internal switch.)

edit: Heres the output from my 516 when in eth bridge mode.

[code]
    {Administrator}[eth bridge]=>list
    --------------------------------------
    bridge configuration for "bridge" :
    OBC       : dest : Internal
                Connection State: connected   Retry: 10
                Priority Tagging: Disabled
                Port: OBC            PortNr: 0          PortState: forwarding  Inter
    face: up
                Multicast filter: disabled              Dynamic VLAN    : disabled
                IGMP snooping   : enabled
                VLAN: Default VLAN: default  Ingressfiltering: disabled  Acceptvlano
    nly: disabled
                VLAN: Priority: disabled  IP Prec: disabled  Priority: 0  Regenerati
    on table: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
                RX bytes: 8881283    frames: 99306
                TX bytes: 204572     frames: 2435         dropframes: 12183

ethport1  : dest : ethif1
                Priority Tagging: NA (destination switch interface)
                Port: ethport1       PortNr: 1          PortState: forwarding  Inter
                RX bytes: 387671136  frames: 56365785
                TX bytes: 4110651510 frames: 65542702     dropframes: 0

Internet  : dest : atm_Internet
                Priority Tagging: Disabled
                Port: wan0           PortNr: 3          PortState: forwarding  Inter
                RX bytes: 687473441  frames: 65455950
                TX bytes: 388107662  frames: 56375591     dropframes: 370

{Administrator}[eth bridge]=>