Healthy Food

NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
edited May 2008 in Fitness
I thought I'd start this thread, there seems to be a stigma that surrounds healthful eating as a culinary challenge. This is for listing:

Either food you encounter that are healthy

or

Recipes that are healthy

These can be things that are relatively simple, for example I'm going to start off my listing breakfast cereals that are a smart choice.

Oatmeal
First and foremost the best, but not everyone has time to make it

Shredded Wheat
Great alternative, one of the few wheat cereals that has no sugar in it

Grape Nuts
Has little to no sugar, quite filling as well if you are looking for a larger breakfast

Bran cereals
Generic bran cereals, minus fruits like raisins, are also a good option. Be wary of what you buy though, some has a lot of sugar, e.g. Raisin Bran

Kashi Go-Lean
|Another healthful wheat cereal

Special K and Special K with Strawberries
These have a bit of sugar in it due to the freeze-dried fruit, but the cereal isn't terrible for you, it's better than Cocoa Puffs

Comments

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited April 2008
    It's hard to eat healthy in the dining halls at college. Most of the food is extremely fatty and smothered in butter. Not to mention they give you mountains of food, so portions are kinda hard to measure out too. I'm not saying there aren't healthy foods, but it's definitely hard to find something that tastes good and isn't bad for you at the dining halls. I usually have some special k, cherios, granola bars, and fruit laying around my room to snack on.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I usually make sure that I have at least a bowl of some granola food or substance even if it right before lunch. However, one of the best things that I realized is how I work late hours on the weekend so I have started to keep trail mix by the computer for TF2 sessions when I get home instead of eating twinkies and other fatty foods. Also, this is more of a personal choice, I stopped drinking energy drinks and soda for the extra few dollars towards computer parts but after the purchases I stayed away from them because of no longer have the sugar hang overs in the morning or needing a Monster to wake up to start my day. I drink a lot of water now and exercise to wake up. Also for those college students I found that if you have access to the kitchen there are simple pre-made dinners in a box that just require making dough(thats in the box) and cooking it with meat and vegies in a bowl for half an hour that make a balanced meal that can feed a person for a day or three students for a meal. Also for those late night cram sessions don't slam a bunch of soda try eating a bunch of fruit they can have the same amount of sugar in them for that quick burst of alertness as well as be good for you and your body.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I am a firm follower of oatmeal now. Before I started the gym, it was bacon sandwiches & that kind of thing. Now it's either Fruit & Fibre cereal with skimmed milk or oatmeal with banana. Hell of a lot better!
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2008
    I've eaten frosted mini wheats since before HS. Sure its frosted but it keeps ya regular. And the hell if I ever go to skim milk, I enjoy the taste of my milk. If I wanted water, I'd drink water.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Nothing healthy at my school at all. Well... there is bad fruit there. Everything is greasy. My grandpa, who is a cook, makes very good and healthy meals every other day for dinner.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I had a hard time eating healthy while I was in college. I ended up just adding a meal replacement shake of some sort while I was there. I totally forget the name, but if anyone is interested I can go grab the can later and post it, it's expensive (like $140 for 4 containers) but it's good stuff.