ERROR 0200: Failure Fixed Disk 0

vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
edited May 2008 in Hardware
My apologies in advance if I have posted in the wrong forum (and feel free to move my post to the more appropriate forum (or delete my post and send a PM as to where to post)).

My PC is dead, but this is NOT an emergency as this is a very non-essential PC. I posted here only because it seemed like the most appropriate forum.

This is a 5 or 6 year old (more or less) Gateway All-In-One, Intel P4. OS is (was) Windows XP (probably home but I'm not certain). On startup I get the following screen (tapping F8 to attempt to start in the safe mode does not make any difference):
PheonixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 02PB
Copyright 1985-2002 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
All Rights Reserved

(C) Copyright SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. 2002
CPU = Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
0640K System RAM Passed
0510M Extended RAM Passed
512K Cache RAM Passed
System BIOS shadowed
Video BIOS shadowed
Fixed Disk 0: Maxtor ATHENA
ADAPI CD-ROM: SAMSUNG CD-ROM SN-124
Mouse initialized
Event Log messages, enter Setup to view
ERROR
0200: Failure Fixed Disk 0

Press <F1> to resume, <F2> to Setup

Pressing F1 results in:
Intel (R) Boot Agent Version 4.1.08
Copyright (C) 1997-2002, Intel Corporation
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent
Operating System not found

Pressing F2 results in a "PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility" screen

I am not a computer illiterate, but I am close.

My daughter was using this PC at college, and she provided no insight as to the failure.

Again, this is not a true emergency as time is not an issue, but I would like to get this PC running again if possible.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Your hard drive is dead.
  • vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
    edited May 2008
    I am not a computer illiterate, but I am close.
    Your hard drive is dead.

I take it that means hopeless.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I take it that means hopeless.
    uh....yes

Of course you could spring for a professional recovery service ($$$) if there is data on the drive that was very valuable to you.

Not to rub it in your face, but we would be very happy to provide you ideas for easy data backups once you get your computer running again. Let us know.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    You could try reseating the ribbon cable at both motherboard and hard drive connectors. Usually though, if it's a cable problem the drive is simply not detected. In this case, the drive is detected but the BIOS is indicating the drive does not function.
  • After my HHD have crashed, I bought SSD (both have IDE). BIOS at boot give same message, but I put bootable cd and boot into SSD. Hard disk I can boot using cd (uncomfortable solution), but I don't know why BIOS show this message. BIOS also show my new hard disk number, but can't boot it by itself.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    After my HHD have crashed, I bought SSD (both have IDE). BIOS at boot give same message, but I put bootable cd and boot into SSD. Hard disk I can boot using cd (uncomfortable solution), but I don't know why BIOS show this message. BIOS also show my new hard disk number, but can't boot it by itself.
    Looks like the SSD is on wrong IDE connection possibly, or needs a new boot sector to boot from. Did you make a system image, and do you have a spare HD that can hold your data???

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    There is no SSD that I saw with an IDE connection, so perhaps you are using an adapter. That is certainly not an ideal solution for the typical reasons of buying an SSD, so if you have SATA II ports available, you should be using that.

Moving on, did you image the SSD with a fresh copy of Windows? If not, I'd start there.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    Also, some basic knowledge to start out.

Hard drives (of any type) do not come with an operating system installed on them. When you install a brand new hard drive, you need to install an OS on it before your computer will work (unless you're installing a secondary drive just to store data, but that's not what you're doing)

If you're booting from a CD/DVD/USB flash drive/etc., by definition, it means you're not booting off the hard drive. If the only way to boot the computer is from CD, that means you either don't have an Operating System installed on your hard drive, the OS install on your hard drive is damaged or the hard drive itself is damaged. Based off what you posted, I'd say it's the first thing I listed, you haven't installed an Operating System on the drive yet.