Why do you do it?

Comments

• leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    when i first found out about FAH, i do it because it's interesting.

after my Grandpa died of cancer, it strengthed my dedication for folding.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited September 2003
    Cause I have a bunch of PCs on anyways, They might as well be doing something constructive.

Also the cause is indeed a very important one. More important to me than something like SETI at home. I just dont think thats a very realistic project.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited October 2003
    Because I Can! :vimp:
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited November 2003
    I first came to this site a week ago following a link about the catalyst 3.8 drivers causing trouble. As i read i noticed that several post had pictures about something called f@h. After checking around i decided that i might as well fold as well so i signed on to the forums and installed the software.

Though my slow rig won't be turning in many wu:s it will at least help and the forums seems great in general (though i've only been a member for a few hours) and this is the first computer forum i've ever entered.:D
  • BDRBDR
    edited November 2003
    EyesOnly, welcome to the foruma nd the folding team. :)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Buddy Jesus had this to say
    I do it for the free beer and ladies!

:vimp: You know it
    topherice had this to say
    FormFactor and CaffieneMe threatened to beat me severely if I didn't install a client and start Folding for Team93.

.. and so they should as well. It's called 'power-recruiting' ;D
    EyesOnly had this to say
    I first came to this site a week ago following a link about the catalyst 3.8 drivers causing trouble. As i read i noticed that several post had pictures about something called f@h. After checking around i decided that i might as well fold as well so i signed on to the forums and installed the software.

Though my slow rig won't be turning in many wu:s it will at least help and the forums seems gret in general (though i've only been a member for a few hours) and this is the first computer forum i've ever entered.

Welcome in :D:D

:fold: on everyone
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited November 2003
    Welcome to the fold (cheep pun intended) EyesOnly!
  • ginipigginipig OH, NOES
    edited December 2003
    Err, didn't realise that I should've posted my extensive reply here.

Folding @ Home is a great idea. Practical, beneficial, and all those other positive -icials.
  • robbyrobby Olympia, WA New
    edited February 2004
    It is, quite simply as Prime put it "the right thing to do". It's an amazing example of the power of unity. It's steps like this that I believe forward the evolutionary process and allow us to truly work together toward a common goal.
  • edited February 2004
    Cancer has been a real mo'fo' in my family, I've lost more members of my family to it than I can name along with my sister and mom being survivors.
    I've also lost one of my grandmothers to alheimers so I see folding as a way to maybe stop some kid in the future going to as many funerals as I did.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited March 2004
    I don't know what to say in response to that, Jack, other than: Wow! and I'm glad your wife seems to be doing better!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2004
    Jack, anyone who reads that and doesn't feel like this is all worthwhile has no heart. It made me go and re-check all my comps, just to make sure everything was running in top shape.

:smokin:
  • edited March 2004
    Wow, that is one good testimony, Jack.:)

I can't believe I never posted my reasons for folding here; I'd done it before the old ICF forum hack and I guess I never got around to it again. :buck:

I originally started folding for overclockers.com in December 2001 and then came to Team 93 (under the Icrontic banner) in the summer of 2002. I first started with just 1 computer and then the addiction set in. :eek2: There is a history of both cancer and Alzheimer's disease on both sides of my family, so it seemed a natural to try to help Stanford out with running the folding project by donating my unused cpu cycles. I lost my father's father when I was still a young boy in 1962, to a non-malignant growth that basically took over his liver. In 1979 I lost my mother's father to a stroke brought on by the effects of radiation and chemo and surgery for the colon cancer he was diagnosed with in 1975 or 76. In the mid 1980's, my mother's mother started showing all the classic signs of early onset Alzheimer's disease, which she was thankfully spared from suffering the full affects of when she died of a massive heart attack in 1988. The previous statement might sound cold, but next I was to see the devestation that Alzheimer's disease can do to a loved one when my father's mother started showing Alzheimer's symptoms shortly after Grandma Moulin died and watched it slowly erase her mind over the next 3 years to where she didn't even know her own children any more, much less her grandchildren. When the Lord finally took her home it was actually a blessing as we then knew that she was suffering no more. Also around this time my father was diagnosed with prostate cancer, which was successfully treated with radiation and chemo. Around 1997 or 98, my Dad's brother died of cancer and it was just terrible to see what that dreadful disease had done to him. He turned from a healthy looking older man to a skeleton in only around 3 months. I just learned a couple of weeks ago that my cousin Brad has just been diagnosed with colon cancer and is also showing some spread to the liver via cat scans or mri, but his liver functions are still showing normal. He has just started radiation and chemo and the prognosis is guarded but good for his recovery.

So you can see that I have a vested interest in seeing this project be successful also. I'm presently 47 years old, so maybe some of the research we are doing today might be of benefit even to me later on in my life, as well as for countless others. I figure that running my farm probably ups my electric bill around $100-125 month, but that is OK as long as I am working and can afford to do it.
  • edited March 2004
    Those were both quite moving replies muddock and Jack. I haven't personally seen the devastation that cancer, alzerheimers, mad cow, etc can do but am encouraged by what you two and others have written. I've always tried to help others; this is quite motivating to help come with new ways to help combat these diseases through computers.

KingFish
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Muddoktor and Witenoiz, thanks for the inspiration. Although there is almost no cancer history and very little Alzheimer's on either side of my family tree, your stories provide me even more motivation to keep pumping away at Folding. For both of - I am sorry for the pain that degenerative deseases have caused your families. I'm Folding for you! Witenoiz - you must have a strong wife - physically and character.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited March 2004
    My mothers mother got alzheimers or something like that about the time i was born. I never really got to now her or her me even though she lived till i was like 12. Now my father mother has it to and i haven't seen her for years. At least i've got no cancer in my family. Let's hope that this will one day pay off even if non of us are around then.

Though i don't feel as bright of mood as i did before reading jacks post i was going to say that a really good reason to fold is keebs movie. Only a heartless SOB can watch that and not wonna fold. Now lets get those farms up and running. :fold:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2004
    Last Monday my dad (nearly 72 years old) began having dizzy spells and pain in his arm. Within a few minutes he passed out. My mom called 911 and the paramedics arrived in under five minutes. Thank God they were so close by.

They revived my dad, who lost consciousness again in the ambulance. Again, the rescue crew brought him back.

Once at the hospital he went down for a third time. If he hadn't been at the hospital already it would have been very iffy for him. They kept him at the hospital for a few days and installed a pacemaker on Wednesday. Amazingly, he was discharged and went home last night.

He seems to be doing alright, for now, but needless to say it has been a tough week.

I just wanted to thank each and every one of my fellow team members, and everyone involved with this important project. It means more than you may think.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited May 2004
    a friend of mine passed away a few weeks ago a month shy of his 31st birthday. he died froma fualty heart. so i fold.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited May 2004
    Prof, good to hear things working out for your Dad. I can honestly say:"Been there, Done that". Meaning, i understand what you are going through.

Keep thinking positive, as hard as it may seem, especially now your Dad is on the mend.

Best wishes mate.

Jon & Sally
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Lost my Dad, a cousin, and grandmother to things that Folding is working on addressing. Also friends and friends of friends. That sums primal core motivation for my wanting to fold.

In one sentence, I fold to possibly prevent others from hurting due to losses of folks they hold dear in future, and sooner the better for some things. Folding addresses a critical to society and to me "need to know." I do not need to know fine details of how the medical knowledge helps, but have seen enough hurting due to lack of medical knowledge for a lifetime. So, I want to have my boxes work as virtual guinea pigs so people do not have to in desperation.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited May 2004
    Project seemed cool when I first started hearing about it. After that, peer pressure (sorta, if you can consider leo and john d (then ageek) peers ;D j/k, wasn't just them ;) )

My mom's diabetic (does that count?), my grandma died of cancer.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    They kept him at the hospital for a few days and installed a pacemaker on Wednesday. Amazingly, he was discharged and went home last night.

Prof, I hope that your dad's next couple of decades will be a very smooth, with one productive operation per each clock cycle that his pacemaker emits. You were so fortunate that the medical response was so timely. Sounds like your town has very good emergency response and medical services.

But anyway, my Dad is getting older too. I appreciate your story and wish you and your father the best.
  • SqueakSqueak School: Seaside Ca; Home: Victorville Ca
    edited July 2004
    The reasons are simple...Scientific research for the bettering of man kind at the cost of a free program is enough reason for me.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Why would you not do this? Honestly. It doesn't affect anything that you do, whenever your computer's on you're helping towards the advancement of science, and you yourself could reap the benefits in the future. And nothing matches the feeling of teamwork. I just started today and even I know all that.
  • GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
    edited August 2004
    I just started last night. I feel guilty as hell (heck, for those atheists) having a perfectly good PC and all I do is indulge myself by fragging online and looking up guitar tabs.

I realized that after having lost both my Aunt and Uncle (they were married) to Alzheimer's within 2 years of each other, plus my Mom, my Grandfather and a girlfriend (she was 18 when she died) to Cancer that something had to be done. I don't have a lot of extra cash, so donations were out of the question, plus hearing that most charities spend 80% or more of their earnings on administration really upsets me. This just seemed to be a natural fit. I don't want a medal for doing this, but I would like my Mom back. That won't happen, but maybe I can save someone else's...

As othes have said, I can afford the extra few bucks in electricity. Plus, who knows, someday MY health may be aided because someone folded.
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited August 2004
    I finally got it started last night and I am doing it for my grandfather. He has had Parkinson's for a few years now and I have watched him slowly deteriorate over time. This man was a father to me and I know that someday, if a cure or treatment is not found, the diseases ravaging his frail body will surely do him in and I don't think I could live with myself not doing anything about it. I would also like to send out a big thank you to everybody else on the team, together we are making a difference.
  • EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
    edited August 2004
    I first heard of folding@home nearly two years ago. Back then I use to have my spare time go to SETI. After realizing that was rather pointless as of now, with so many problems here to fix before going out looking for potentially more. Around that time I use to post on Icrontic and later saw they had a team so I joined up mostly help find a cure. My grandfather has been battling cancer now for over 14 years now. He has over 9 types of cancer but I can't remember them all. Over these years I've seen him beat many but it seems within weeks he developed yet another one. In any event I admire him so much for his will to live. The doctors gave him six months when he got his first cancer back in 1990. He proved them wrong time and time agian. Anyways when I started folding I just wanted to help a great project. However it turned into an addiction, I wanted to make the most possible effort I could. Over the past six months his condition has been rapily detoriating. Just three days ago my grandfather has been taken to the hospital because he can no longer walk. Last night I overclocked my system just a bit more to add just a little more to my production. I have high hopes for this project and will contine to fold into the future. The more we prooduce the closer we come to finding a cure.
  • GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
    edited August 2004
    Microsoft should make this program mandatory instead of IE...
  • edited January 2005
    Well for one its a way of thanking the short media people that will help me with my computer problems (Hehe HSA probs) So i figure why not join the team. And now that i realize what its for i see its a good cause, I mean Cancer hasnt been to well for my family, Aunt had breast cancer, Grandmother has Enphezema, Gradfather had lung cancer, Other grandfather Smokes so much he probably will have cancer, other grandmother had skin cancer, Best friend's dad died of colon cancer. Not so great so i figure why not help out
  • SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited March 2005
    I stumbled across S-M forums after a google search for a PC problem I was having. You guys fixed that for me and I saw the thread asking if we wanted to give something back. I read it and thought "why not?"
    After reading the many moving reasons others are doing it, I just feel that it is right that i do my little bit.
    I have just had a baby girl - 2 months old - I dont want there to be any disease or illness around when she grows up~!

So I started today and put the console on all my machines. (I cant keep them all on 24/7 - but hell, 23 machines on 14 hours a day is better than nothing, I think!!!!!)

And I wanna get up the rankings!!

All the best to everyone that has family that are sick right now, I pray that they may recover and be with you for a long time to come.

Siggy