How do I get in (IBM 3000 GL)

MJOMJO Denmark New
edited November 2003 in Hardware
I have come upon an old IBM 3000 GL or was it GL 3000?
Oh well, the problem is that I cannot get it opened.

It are two places that you can push it seems.
That is at the back of the casing.
But the case doesn't open at all.
It is like it's sealed.
It is a desktop case and the pc is from 1999.
A PII something.

I have tried pushing and pulling in alle directions.
Do I have to resort to a blowtorch?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I think the IBMs are the "Lift and drop" type cases - those old ones, anyway... Try pushing the two tabs in and lifting the sucker off the floor, the whole computer should slide right out - but watch it, i've cut myself bad on a case like that, and ALSO: make sure you don't drop the damned thing on the floor or desk...
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited October 2003
    Sounds interesting.
    I will try this out when I get near the machine again.
    I do not know if I need to get in though.
    I think I have found out what graphics card is inside.

I find it strange that it will not boot normally.
    I have installed Win 98 and I can boot in failsafe but not in normal mode. I only get a black screen.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited October 2003
    I couldn't get into the case.
    And they didn't have a blowtorch ;D
    I tried very hard though.
    Lucky for me I didn't need to get in anyway.
    I identified the S3 gfx with an S3 utillity and found the right driver.

I also found the source of the black screen.
    Windows 98 stalled loading its own network drivers.
    The network card in the PC was an IBM tokenring adapter.
    Windows 98 obviously didn't like it very much.

But everything worked out, apart from the fact that I still don't know how to get inside the friggin case. ;)
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I have an IBM PC300GL, I don't know if the case is similar but mine comes off fairly easily. It's secured at the back by a single bolt and a key lock. Remove the bolt, and the cowling+bezel slides forward about 2 inches, where you can pull it off vertically. Just make sure the key lock isn't engaged.

FYI the lift 'n' drop cases are the IBM Aptiva towers. The PC300 desktops are business models and designed to be challenging to open as a deterrent to students stealing components in an educational environment, as well as employees stealing hard drives/stuff stored on hard drives in a corporate environment.

-drasnor :fold:
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited November 2003
    I think there is a latch of some sort under the front panel on the bottom center. Unlatch that and you should be able to slide it off the back. That is, of course, assuming I am thinking of the same case as you.

~dodo
    edited November 2003
    My PC300GL is an LPX case in the desktop form factor, so the brief summary of me getting into it is based on it being a desktop (horizontal unit that the monitor sits on top of).

I've had to open an Aptiva tower recently, and that was a pain in the @$$ to figure out. First, there's this part on the back where you would stick a padlock if you were insecure. The piece is a slide-latch that has to be slid such that you can't get a padlock through the hole anymore (very similar to some Dell cases I've worked on, like the Dimension 8100). Then there's another latch which at first looked like a front air intake. I had to reach up into there with my hand, and squeeze the latch between my fingers and the front bezel. Then, while still squeezing that latch, I pulled the bezel/side panel/top assembly toward me (away from the back of the case) and lifted it off. Whee!

Alternatively, you could go here.
  • BDRBDR
    edited November 2003
    Can you post a picture of the case?
    edited November 2003
    gkey-3hqdfr_1.gif
    That's my case blown apart. You can't see where the keylock is because the PSU is in the way in this drawing. The single screw holding the case together is immediately to the left of the power supply (looking from the front).

• BDRBDR
    edited November 2003
    I have a similar desktop case. The front bezel has a couple tabs on each side of the bottom front, that you push in and pull the bottom of the bezel towards you, then lift it up to get it it off.
    Then there are 3 screws that hold the case on. You remove those and slide the case covering towards the front slightly and then lift it up to remove it.

enlight.jpg

nbfrontclose.jpg
    edited November 2003
    OT: So why is your CD-RW in the topmost 5.25" bay in one photo and the lowest in the other?

I actually like Desktop cases, but they don't make any stylin' black aluminum ones for full-size ATX or extended ATX motherboards.
  • BDRBDR
    edited November 2003
    Because I switched the drives around (more than once). I have the hard drive in the top bay where the cdrw was. Better cooling for it there. I removed the brace that held the hd across the center, for better airflow around the hsf.