How to uninstall XP SP3?

edited May 2008 in Science & Tech
How do you uninstall Windows XP Service Pack 3?
Thanks

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I am primarily very curious as to why you'd even want to do this?
  • edited May 2008
    I installed sp3 and then it made it so I cant install Office 2007 dont know why
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Sounds like you might have another issue there. What makes you believe it was SP3? I'm assuming you didn't have Office installed prior to SP3, so there may have been preexisting conditions that are preventing you from installed office. Do you receive an error?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Your problem doesn't have anything to do with SP3, and plus you can't uninstall service packs.
  • edited May 2008
    All it says is Installing Microsoft Office Pro. Plus 2007. Then it goes to an error screen that says Microsoft Office Pro. Plus has encountered and error during setup.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited May 2008
    How many times have you tried to install office?
  • edited May 2008
    I have installed it once on this computer before I had to reinstall the system but, who knows how many times my home school place where I submit grades to has used it.

I've tried a few times after I first got the message after rebooting the computer.

Im going to try and run it on my laptop and see if I get the same error.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2008
    Your problem isnt caused by sp3.
  • edited May 2008
    I just installed Office 2007 through the upgrade path on my laptop from 2003 to 2007.

Maybe I should install 2003 on the desktop and then upgrade to 2007.

Everyones been telling me that its not because of service pack 3.

I installed it on my laptop through the upgrade path without any issues, and my laptop doesnt have service pack 3 on it.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    That still doesn't mean it's SP3. There are a billion things that could be wrong. Is there a more descriptive error written to the Event Viewer when the installation fails?
  • edited May 2008
    I know that
  • edited May 2008
    Event Viewer log
    Date 5/7/08
    Source MsiInstaller
    Time 12:35:52
    Category None
    Type Warning
    Event ID 1015

Description
    Failed to connect to server, Error 0x80080005

For more Info, See help and Support Center at
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Thats All it shows me
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    You can remove it in Control panel, but you may get some issues with some programs being too up-to-date for SP2. I tried it for some virus removal and I ended up with quite a few issues and went back to SP3.
  • edited May 2008
    I'm trying to figure out why its doing this but I'm not having any luck. It works on my laptop without sp3. Im installing SP3 on my laptop and seeeing if that makes office 2007 to mess up.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I wouldn't be too sure it's the OS, I mean office 2007 is a microsoft product, compatible with SP2 so it's almost 100% gunna be compatible with SP3. I can't tell you what's wrong with it but I'm pretty sure what's not wrong with it :tongue: I may be going off totally in the wrong direction, but have you tried a defrag?
  • edited May 2008
    i just installed this os yesterday. why would i need to defrag

The SP3 update on my laptop crashed straight from the Microsoft website.
    During the installing final processes part of the install.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2008
  • edited May 2008
    even tho it had an error in the final stage of install it still says that my computer has SP3 installed on it strange.
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Was Office 2007 previously installed on this computer? Was any other previous version of Office installed on this computer other than Office 2007? What was the source of the installation? Was it a network drive or a shared folder on a network share?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Was Office 2007 previously installed on this computer? Was any other previous version of Office installed on this computer other than Office 2007? What was the source of the installation? Was it a network drive or a shared folder on a network share?
    Exactly. The problem will be explained in the context of those questions.

I'm running Office Enterprise 2007 on an SP3 computer. It works better than it did with SP2. I'm running Office 2002 at work under the same OS load. No problem there either.
  • edited May 2008
    It was installed on this computer before I had to reinstall the OS. No other offices were ever installed on here. It was installed from the CD/DVD Drive in this computer.
  • edited May 2008
    I installed SP3 on my laptop and its going Very Sluggish. Im gonna finish updating all of office 2007 on it then reboot and see if it changes any
  • edited May 2008
    Hi, I'm experiencing similar problems with multiple programs. It all comes down to Windows Installer being corrupt somehow. I've tried all the suggestions I could find in MS Knowledgebase but nothing helps.

I've located a corrupt registry entry at
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer

Could you check if you have a key named 'Folddrs' that you're unable to remove?
    My guess is that this might be added by some virus and causing this behaviour.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited May 2008
    try the microsoft office alternative (better imho)

http://download.openoffice.org/index.html

its free
  • edited May 2008
    Ya I have that registry entry on my desktop havnt tried to remove it yet, guys is there actually supposed to be a registry entry like that? My laptop doesnt have that and the OS is exactly the same installed from the same disc.
  • edited May 2008
    ok i removed that registry entry and now my windows installer service won't startup so I need to add it back on.
  • Jelly-BeanJelly-Bean Swansea,WALES,UK
    edited May 2008
    There are many people experiencing problems installing SP3 and unin stalling it.Sp3 has been known to cause unknown errors in XP.Cause computers to slow right down and also interfers with IE7 AND 6 and can also cause problems with installing and uninstalling software.

Boot into safe mode as in reboot pc repeatedly tap F8 on startup and remove SP3 via safe mode.

Belive me SP3 is not as good as you all think I am stuck with a lot of people having problems with Dll errors etc.
  • edited May 2008
    after installing it on my laptop everything seems to be working good and we arent running sluggish or having problems.