how can i get rid of 1 sec. delay in ATi MMC on my X1900AIW?

JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
edited June 2008 in Hardware
I am having a very very annoying problem. Im trying to use a game console on my Radeon X1900 All in Wonder, but i cant because games lag 1 second after a button is pressed.

What im trying to say is, each time i press a button on the controller of the console to move on object onscreen it has a 1 second delay. I am using ATi Multimedia Center and i have recording functions disabled. Is there any way to just get a straight video feed with no delay? This makes fighting games, FPS games pretty much most games that require fast reflexes to be very unplayable.

I have it connected to a DVI>VGA converter, could that be the problem? Oh Yeah and the console is connected through a composite connection, i dont know if that matters or not.

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited June 2008
    I'd guess what you're probably already thinking to be true - you're SOL. Something in the process of converting this or that signal is creating latency.

It's one of the reasons for high end sound cards, for example. Say you want to input a mixer to your computer (analog line-in) for recording music at home, but your playback is via optical or coax (digital out) to an external receiver. It won't work for most cards because the conversion from analog to digital is not 'easy' and there's inherent latency involved, which makes the delay between striking the string on the guitar and when it comes out of your speakers so great you just can't play along to anything. It's a similar issue to your gaming dilemma. The solution for me in this situation has been to go analog outs to the receiver, so there's only passthrough analog signal with minimal processing needed from the sound card.

I'm not sure what your solution would be because just about anything coming into the AIW is going to be translated in some way to create the image on the computer screen.