Couple questions on 2x new pcs

jhenryjhenry California's Wine Country
edited June 2008 in Hardware
My and my dad both got new PCs this week... we're both finally in this century.

I got an HP Pavilion with the Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4gb of Ram, a 512mb 8500GT, Vista Home Rape-ium, 22" w/s w2207h.

He got:

Dell XPS 630 w/ E8550, 4gb Ram, 8800GT, XP Pro, 3x dell 22" widescreens.

Problem is, I thought "dual-link DVI" meant you could split the output so that four monitors could run on the two outputs. He doesn't know this yet, and I'm not going to tell him. I tried to install the FX5200 he had on his old Dell for monitor #3 into a PCI slot, which worked two hours ago, but throws a BSOD once I rebooted after installing the drivers. I haven't had a chance to figure out what caused this. I assumed the latest nV drivers would be installed since the 8800gt is there.

Also, the PCI FX5200 took boot priority over the PCIx. I can't find any options in the bios to change that (though I can o/c the system from the bios). I'd like to know how I can get the 8800gt to keep priority and keep the system from bugging out.

I can likely get my hands on a 7600GT, my coworkers brother just upgraded to an 8800GT, if I can get it, can I throw it in the other PCIx slot and install the latest forceware and be done?

Thanks guys,

John

Comments

• stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited June 2008
    Is the 7600GT for your PC or his? (your 8500GT is comparable to the 7600GT)

The FX5200 is many generations older, I'm not surprised the drivers are conflicting. I don't think the boot order of the video devices is causing your problem.

The 7600GT, if this is your intention, would be a better attempt at a solution for his tri-monitor setup. I still think you're going to have to go with dual 8800GT's, and at least it will have some great gaming capability in SLi. I can't wrap my brain around getting different video drivers packages to work together. The 5200 is probably not the same set of drivers as the 8800 series. I know working with Intel graphics and nvidia/ati 3d cards for dual displays there are always certain known driver conflicts.

I can't say whether the power supply the Dell has will handle another 8800GT or whether the motherboard in the XPS will support SLi. Those are things you'll need to research prior to going that route. It sounds like you're not hurting for cash, so sinking a few more dollars in an upgraded power supply and another 8800GT would at least guarantee a level of performance... assuming the motherboard passes the mustard.
  • jhenryjhenry California's Wine Country
    edited June 2008
    I wish I wasn't hurting for cash...

The HP is financed and my dad's computer is a business writeoff.

I was thinking of using the 7600GT in the second PCIx slot on the mobo on the dell. When building, it came with the option of 2 8800GTs but we didn't select it, since it was like $400 extra when you can get the card for ~$200. I don't care about SLi on that machine--it's purely business.

Mine is the gaming machine, which will probably get an 8800 in the future. Stuck with the 8500 right now, but it sure as hell beats the FX5500 in my old one.

I was so sure the card would work, I mean the forceware downloads are the exact same at nVidia's site. They both are recognized in the nV control panel. But the 5200 locks up the entire system after a couple of hour's worth of use.
    edited June 2008
    You should move the 8800GT to your machine then, much better gaming card. If the Dell isn't for gaming then feed it 3d leftovers :D. And trying the 7600GT is still worth it (7600 and 8500 in the Dell). It sounds like your 5200 may be dying if it works for a bit then locks up.
    edited June 2008
    Only problem is my 8500 has an HDMI and a DVI out. The 8800 has two DVI. Which brings me back to the original problem (I thought dual-link DVI meant two monitors per connecter :/)

Not to mention my dad would KILL me if he found out I snaked the 8800 ;)

Still waiting to find out about the 7600. Otherwise my dad is just going to order another 8800. I'm gonna freak if we have to order another PSU (as it will be my fault). Although the XPS 630 is spec'd with a 700w PSU, I doubt they change it between models. Price diff is $300 for another 8800GT, that's just the cost of the card + $100 markup.
    edited June 2008
    jhenry wrote:
    Price diff is $300 for another 8800GT, that's just the cost of the card + $100 markup.

You should pull out the card, see what model they used, then go online to buy one. Hell, as long as it's close to the same specs just about any 8800GT will work.

There's DVI to HDMI cables out there, I'm using one for my home theater setup. No quality difference/loss. That would get around suffering with the 8500GT.
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for the help stoopid!
    edited June 2008
    Well, I'll be getting an 8800GS. He needs that third monitor like yesterday, so, I'll go without for a day while the 8800GS is on order.
    edited June 2008
    You mean the 8800GT, right?

In which case you're "taking one for the team" is going to really pay off. I think you're making the right choice :D.